This is the best football staff

Very classy. Maryland will pile up at least 450 yards on us and everyone else this year. I expect to win only if we can pass the ball.

1. 450 yards of offense is not impressive. Averaging 450 yards of offense would currently put a team at 50th in the country.

2. Maryland put up 291 yards against us last year, at home. Have they gotten that much better (and have we gotten that much worse) that they're going to put up "at least" 450 yards on us this year, on the road?

3. We are currently allowing 239 yards per game through 3 games. We are going to give up "at least" nearly double our average...because Maryland?

We gave a nice mix of competent and elite coaches. My fleckticism is fading, but not entirely gone yet. We will see what we will see before the season is over.

IMHO, I do see an improvement in the coaching staff. I am not in any way sh!!!ing on previous staffs, but I do see an improvement in the team's executions. Decrease in drive killing penalties(procedure, delay of game after time out, etc)and increase in TOP dominance. Most important beating teams we are supposed to beat. Hopefully, these and other factors will continue in BIG play, but for now I believe these positives do indicate to me this is a good staff and the players are buying into the program.

Very classy. Maryland will pile up at least 450 yards on us and everyone else this year. I expect to win only if we can pass the ball.
Also very classy.... :Rolleyes:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Minnesota staff will have two weeks to prepare for the Terps. It the first Big Ten game for this staff as a unit.... things won't bode well for Maryland.

1. 450 yards of offense is not impressive. Averaging 450 yards of offense would currently put a team at 50th in the country.

2. Maryland put up 291 yards against us last year, at home. Have they gotten that much better (and have we gotten that much worse) that they're going to put up "at least" 450 yards on us this year, on the road?

3. We are currently allowing 239 yards per game through 3 games. We are going to give up "at least" nearly double our average...because Maryland?

So - do you think we give more or less than 450 yards this game? You seem to be both saying that 450 isn't that impressive and that we should hold them well below that. I don't know what to expect, I just always like to have people on specific record on what will happen.

My take on the staff:
- Very impressive on paper
- Have done about as well as I would have hoped for to this point
- Really like the discipline and attention to detail being shown
- Very optimistic about the future
- Find PJ much more tolerable since I started avoiding any and all interviews, coach shows, etc. where he talks out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MD is averaging 511 ypg, so 450 may or may not be impressive, but it might be realistic.

My take on the staff:
- Very impressive on paper
- Have done about as well as I would have hoped for to this point
- Really like the discipline and attention to detail being shown
- Very optimistic about the future
- Find PJ much more tolerable since I started avoiding any and all interviews, coach shows, etc. where he talks out loud.

100% agree. Especially on the last one. To anyone out there who doesn't like PJ's personality I'd highly suggest it -- just enjoy the product on the field and let him talk all he wants for those who care to listen. Press conferences and coach shows don't matter anyways.

So - do you think we give more or less than 450 yards this game? You seem to be both saying that 450 isn't that impressive and that we should hold them well below that. I don't know what to expect, I just always like to have people on specific record on what will happen.

I am saying both. He's talking about 450 as though it's some giant number to roll up. It isn't, and I don't think we will allow them to reach even that unimpressive number.

It appears to be a well balanced staff compared to Mason's and Kill's. Competent on both sides of the ball. Getting Ed W was an impressive coup for Fleck. Love the handing the ball to the ref and getting the hell away from a bouncing punt.

It appears to be a well balanced staff compared to Mason's and Kill's. Competent on both sides of the ball. Getting Ed W was an impressive coup for Fleck. Love the handing the ball to the ref and getting the hell away from a bouncing punt.

I love the handing of the ball to the refs as well. It might help the refs feel respected and maybe side a little more our way. I always think when a batter makes a big fuss to an ump he might lose out of a strike call later in the game. I also think this team is very well coached and disciplined. Watching Robinson jump off sides on a 4th 1 in the Pitt game when it was obvious they were just trying to get an offsides before punting shows really bad coaching. I can't believe it when defensive lineman jump. Just look at the ball stupid. And Todd Steussie, how can an offensive lineman jump off sides??? You know the snap count. So Fleck's team isn't making those stupid mistakes. Once we get a good pass/run qb we will be a dynamic team.

I am saying both. He's talking about 450 as though it's some giant number to roll up. It isn't, and I don't think we will allow them to reach even that unimpressive number.

450 yards of offense is now unimpressive. Duly noted.

450 yards of offense is now unimpressive. Duly noted.

Correct. Do you watch college football in 2017? Do you consider 50th in the country out of 129 teams to be impressive? Even at 500 yards of offense per game, you barely crack the top 20.

Correct. Do you watch college football in 2017? Do you consider 50th in the country out of 129 teams to be impressive? Even at 500 yards of offense per game, you barely crack the top 20.

So with an average of 387 yards of offense against non-conference opponents, are the Gophers Elite or not?

So with an average of 387 yards of offense against non-conference opponents, are the Gophers Elite or not?

According to Fleck's use of the word? Sure. According to reality? No, the Gophers offense is not Elite.

According to Fleck's use of the word? Sure. According to reality? No, the Gophers offense is not Elite yet.

FIFY... :) I do expect the offense to open up and produce more yards passing going forward this year.

MD is averaging 511 ypg, so 450 may or may not be impressive, but it might be realistic.

MD put up those #s against an FCS team and a Big12 with what has been an incredibly inept defense for going on 3 years. Whether they can do that against a well coached defense is obviously unknown.

that may be true from a statistical sense - but c'mon, are you really saying that 450 yards of total offense doesn't mean something? If the Gophers had 450 yards of offense in a game, I would be happy.

I want to hear a coach come out and say, "I'm embarrassed by our offense. we only gained 450 yards in the game. That's unacceptable." Sarcasm aside, that's not going to happen.

Would you rather have 350 yards of offense in a victory, or 550 yards in a loss. I'll take the win. I don't have stat envy. I'm not going to be sitting up nights fretting because somebody else gained more yards.

Something to be said about a ball control offense. Especially when you have the lead.

FIFY... :) I do expect the offense to open up and produce more yards passing going forward this year.

I hope your right on this. Trying to read between the lines when Fleck answers this question has me thinking it's possible we don't have a lot more to show. Regardless, we are going to have to throw the ball more in the B1G season, I'm just waiting to see if it will be drastically improved from years past.

that may be true from a statistical sense - but c'mon, are you really saying that 450 yards of total offense doesn't mean something? If the Gophers had 450 yards of offense in a game, I would be happy.

I want to hear a coach come out and say, "I'm embarrassed by our offense. we only gained 450 yards in the game. That's unacceptable." Sarcasm aside, that's not going to happen.

Would you rather have 350 yards of offense in a victory, or 550 yards in a loss. I'll take the win. I don't have stat envy. I'm not going to be sitting up nights fretting because somebody else gained more yards.

Exactly.

The Dolly.

I'd take the win any day by nook or cranny. That's the stat that matters.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I don't care about yards, I care about wins. And, again, for at least the third time now, 450 ypg puts you at 50th in the country. Do you consider 50th in the country to be impressive?

Do you guys watch any major college football outside of the Gophers? Serious question. The game has changed just a little bit over the years.

I just don't see the Terps putting up big yardage on us. Our overall defense is rock solid.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I don't care about yards, I care about wins. And, again, for at least the third time now, 450 ypg puts you at 50th in the country. Do you consider 50th in the country to be impressive?

Do you guys watch any major college football outside of the Gophers? Serious question. The game has changed just a little bit over the years.

Precisely why you interjected your bs about yards...........

The Dolly.

I'll take being out gained, out first downed, and out clock controlled as long as we score more points any day!

Geez, DP - with one breath you say you don't care about yards, and then you turn around and harp about how 450 yards in a game isn't impressive. If you don't care about yards, then what bleeping difference does it make if 450 yards in a game is impressive or not, or where it ranks in college football.

It sounds like you DO care about yards - otherwise you wouldn't keep stressing the point about "50th in the country."

I mean it when I say this: I don't give a bleeping bleep how many yards the Gophers gain if they win. I don't. You apparently do - or else you wouldn't be arguing about it.

And yes, I do watch other Football games besides the Gophers. I know there are teams that put up huge yardage totals. But - the difference is - I don't root for those teams. I don't care if those teams win or lose, or how many yards they gain, or whether their yardage totals are high enough to impress you.

I am sure that this post will not impress you, and you will come back with some scathing response to somehow prove you are right, because you must be right.

Geez, DP - with one breath you say you don't care about yards, and then you turn around and harp about how 450 yards in a game isn't impressive. If you don't care about yards, then what bleeping difference does it make if 450 yards in a game is impressive or not, or where it ranks in college football.

It sounds like you DO care about yards - otherwise you wouldn't keep stressing the point about "50th in the country."

I mean it when I say this: I don't give a bleeping bleep how many yards the Gophers gain if they win. I don't. You apparently do - or else you wouldn't be arguing about it.

And yes, I do watch other Football games besides the Gophers. I know there are teams that put up huge yardage totals. But - the difference is - I don't root for those teams. I don't care if those teams win or lose, or how many yards they gain, or whether their yardage totals are high enough to impress you.

I am sure that this post will not impress you, and you will come back with some scathing response to somehow prove you are right, because you must be right.

The Dolly.

Top Bottom