This is the best football staff

husker70

Reaction score
Coach Fleck is effusive in his praise for the nutrition, strength and conditioning, he has pointed to Matt Simon, Mo Lindquist for their work. Of course Rob Smith and Kirk Ciarrocca. But I would point to two great additions he made. First Ed Warinner, If you want to run the ball their are few in the nation who have his credentials and he has formed this offensive line. The other coach is Bryce Paup. What he and Coach Fleck have done with the defensive line is amazing.

My point is this is the deepest, most talented coaching staff I can ever remember.

I am happy with things so far. I am most happy that the team, regardless of talent and/or potential for success THIS YEAR, appears to be well organized and well coached. I am not disagreeing with the original poster but I will remind everyone that Gopherhole turns into a whine-fest after any loss and Fleck will lose eventually. He will probably lose as many as 6 times yet this season. When that happens, there will be the 100% guaranteed sky-is-falling posts to follow. What seems like the greatest set of coaches ever as of today, will become a bunch of bums in the eyes of some of us as soon as an "L" appears on the schedule.

Whining is pervasive. Some people aren't very patient especially nowadays. It is happening here, in Nebraska, and other places. But, probably for every single whiner there are probably more folks that aren't.

The improvement in discipline is noticeable. Few pre snap penalties, no targeting, few mental mistakes we can see, and I can only remember 3 15-yard personal foul/unsportsmanlike penalties and all 3 were bad calls IMO.

Contrast that to the Vikings frustrating performance yesterday in which they short themselves in the foot time and again, and couldn't even line up right on a field goal block. Very surprised what's happened under Zimmer and I think the decline corresponds closely to his medical issue.

I'd add, we played the entire game Sat with a new center and I think there was only one procedure penalty the whole game.

I like Rob Smith even if his defense is boring.
I don't like Kirk, but I like him more than, say, Limegrover.
I do think this is the first time we've been strong on both sides of the ball, getting Rob Smith was genius work on Fleck's part.

The next team in town will do everything to stop the run, sell out, make whom ever is playing QB make 3rd down throws. This will begin to define the coaching and how "best" they are. Its a bit premature at this point. Maryland has an offense that will pile on the yards.

It may be premature to say this is an elite staff, but I don't think so. Fleck showed his game management philosophy with his 13 and 0 season of statistics...time of possession, few penalties, plus turnover margin, etc. You get what you emphasize. He's a good head coach...no matter how annoying at times.
Warinner is proven as an elite line coach. As for Kirk, at least we had Brooks and Smith on the field at the same time...hopefully he utilizes more strengths we possess but, again he has a solid conservative track record of excellence. I like our offensive philosophy more than Kill/Tracy and it's too early to tell if I love it. PJ says Matt Simon is elite. Did he develop the kid at Western Michigan or was it inevitable? I do think Tyler Johnson was going to make a leap regardless of who was coaching. Matt Simon might be a wizard but I'd like to see somebody else emerge?

Kill/Tracy had excellent defenses...is Robb Smith just the benefactor of their work? Time will tell for me for going forward on his true ability...he did better at Arkansas too in the beginning, I believe with the other guys players and instincts instilled? Wait and see for me on Smith. Paup, I feel, is a rising defensive line coaching star. I think this coaching staff is elite...the question is how long do we keep Warinner here and hopefully, the rest of the staff stays together for at least 3 years here. I believe Warinner is the key staff member.

This staff at least appears to be more mature than former coaches like Brian Anderson. Anderson continues to rip on the current staff. There might be a reason you don't have a job right now, Brian.

Robb Smith inherited a nice defense and is doing a really nice job. He was fired at Arkansas and I had some concerns as the Arkansas defense got worse each year he was there. I'm thinking that much of it had to do with recruiting than coaching. I'm hoping that we can recruit better on defense with Fleck then Bielema did at Arkansas.

Robb Smith inherited a nice defense and is doing a really nice job. He was fired at Arkansas and I had some concerns as the Arkansas defense got worse each year he was there. I'm thinking that much of it had to do with recruiting than coaching. I'm hoping that we can recruit better on defense with Fleck then Bielema did at Arkansas.

He was not fired at Arkansas. It may have been a "get out voluntarily before I'm forced out involuntarily" situation, but he was actively employed at Arkansas when Fleck hired him for this job.

He was not fired at Arkansas. It may have been a "get out voluntarily before I'm forced out involuntarily" situation, but he was actively employed at Arkansas when Fleck hired him for this job.

Correct, thanks for clearing up for others. He was smart to beat the HC out 1 year early.

I think we needed a thread praising the coaches. There just isn't enough of that already here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we needed a thread praising the coaches. There just isn't enough of that already here.

Fans thinking they are gonna go 3-6 from here on out aren't praising them.

The one thing almost everyone chirps on is where are they half time adjustments? This staff seems to check that box.

The next team in town will do everything to stop the run, sell out, make whom ever is playing QB make 3rd down throws. This will begin to define the coaching and how "best" they are. Its a bit premature at this point. Maryland has an offense that will pile on the yards.

We have a winner!

3-6 the rest of the year? 6-3 is more like it. In honor of this thread, we are far to well coached to only win three more game.

I am. The coaching staff has made the best of the talent they have been given and beat up on bad teams. 3-6 is a real possibility. Anything better than that will be dependent on Rhoda's arm, the OL improving, and the CBs holding up. All are still big ?s.

Originally Posted by Iceland12:

I am. The coaching staff has made the best of the talent they have been given and beat up on bad teams. 3-6 is a real possibility. ?s.

:rolleyes:

No you aren't.

I hope we shut Maryland out and shut some of you M'fer's up. .
They just might. The q.b (Pegrim) that played vs us last year and when Maryland beat Texas is out for the season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by Iceland12:

:rolleyes:

No you aren't.

How am I not? I've been one of Fleck's biggest supporters since before he was hired.

Coach Fleck is effusive in his praise for the nutrition, strength and conditioning, he has pointed to Matt Simon, Mo Lindquist for their work. Of course Rob Smith and Kirk Ciarrocca. But I would point to two great additions he made. First Ed Warinner, If you want to run the ball their are few in the nation who have his credentials and he has formed this offensive line. The other coach is Bryce Paup. What he and Coach Fleck have done with the defensive line is amazing.

My point is this is the deepest, most talented coaching staff I can ever remember.

Absolutely the best coaching staff in recent memory.

this is NOT a criticism of the current coaching staff.

I would just like to point out that some people confuse or conflate successful results with good coaching. In the end, players have to make plays. You can coach an O-lineman on technique all day long, but he still has to go out on the field and execute that technique against an opponent. you can coach a WR on route-running, but he still has to go out on the field and run that route against a defender, get open, and catch the ball. You can coach a QB on every aspect of the game, but the QB still has to go out on the field, read the defense, call an audible if warranted, and run the play correctly - including going through progressions and finding an open receiver. How much of that is due to coaching, and how much is due to the athlete making the play?

The coaches may have indeed told Jacob Huff how to play that situation, but Huff still had to go out, time his break, make the pick and run the ball back for a TD. If he is a split-second late, that may have been a completion instead of an interception. is that 50% coaching and 50% talent? 60/40? 40/60? Hard for me to say. But almost every coach I've interviewed over the years has made a comment to the effect of "I can't go out and play the game for them."

Players are not robots. If it was all about coaching, every play would be successful. And, let's not forget, the other team has coaches, too - who have been coaching them on how to defeat the other team's plays.

Don't get me wrong. I would rather have good coaches as opposed to bad coaches. And I have seen some positive early signs from this coaching staff. But, there's a long way to go.

I am happy with things so far. I am most happy that the team, regardless of talent and/or potential for success THIS YEAR, appears to be well organized and well coached. I am not disagreeing with the original poster but I will remind everyone that Gopherhole turns into a whine-fest after any loss and Fleck will lose eventually. He will probably lose as many as 6 times yet this season. When that happens, there will be the 100% guaranteed sky-is-falling posts to follow. What seems like the greatest set of coaches ever as of today, will become a bunch of bums in the eyes of some of us as soon as an "L" appears on the schedule.

What's become of you? You used to be very prominent on here and then you sort of disappeared. You were always one of my favorites.

I'm still around! I guess I have been a little light in posting on here as of late but I am still around. Not sure why I wasn't posting much. Perhaps a combo of not having much to say for a while and being a little deflated over the demise of the Kill/Claeys era.

I hope we shut Maryland out and shut some of you M'fer's up. .

Very classy. Maryland will pile up at least 450 yards on us and everyone else this year. I expect to win only if we can pass the ball.

Top Bottom