Dave St Peter promised U not to host fball games at Tgt Field same day as U home game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Twins president Dave St. Peter told Sports Headliners attendance could exceed 37,000 for Saturday’s 1 p.m. first-ever football game at Target Field between host St. Thomas and traditional rival Saint John’s. The Twins won’t be back in town until September 29 and St. Peter is confident there will be no negative impact on the grass field. The game will set a national record for Division III attendance.

Target Field will also be the site of the August 31, 2019 game between host North Dakota State and Butler. St. Peter said there have been preliminary discussions about other football games at Target Field. He promised, though, games will never be played on a conflicting date with the Gophers, or involve FBS teams.

“That was a commitment I made to (former athletic director) Norwood Teague and now to (present AD) Mark Coyle and P.J. Fleck,” St. Peter said. (The Gophers have a bye on their schedule this Saturday and don’t play on August 31, 2019).

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

It's nice to see a lot of the local teams work together as much as possible to avoid potential conflicts.

I know the Twins could have had a 7pm game time on Thursday, August 31 but they chose a 12pm start instead to avoid conflict with the Gophers and Vikings. It was not even a getaway day for them so they could have easily had a night game if they wanted to. The White Sox were playing in Chicago the next night so it was a short 45 minute flight for them. This was obviously a request from the Twins to avoid conflict with the Gophers and Vikings.

Speaking of the Twins, I was at Target Field on Saturday night and was very impressed with the number of people sporting Gophers gear around Minneapolis. It's nice to see the Maroon and Gold out in full force!!

Thank god we do not have a conflict with the 2019 game there. I know I would have a big decision to make with Butler St rolling in. Thanks Dave.

With the FB games at Target Field, the Twins have to be careful about over-doing it.

The Tommie-Johnnie game is a big deal no matter where it is played. And NDSU fans, love 'em or hate 'em (OK, just hate 'em) will show up in droves for the 2019 game. But any future FB games at Target Field will have to be "event games" to draw a big crowd. I don't think they're going to draw huge crowds for an Augsburg-Hamline game, for example. (although the Auggies would kick the bleep out of the Pipers.....)

Back to the Tommie-Johnnie game. I wonder how many fans that would draw if it was at US Bank or TCF. I seriously think they could top 40,000 at a larger stadium. Not every year, but as a one-time special event. one of those "wanted to say you were there" type of deals.

With the FB games at Target Field, the Twins have to be careful about over-doing it.

The Tommie-Johnnie game is a big deal no matter where it is played. And NDSU fans, love 'em or hate 'em (OK, just hate 'em) will show up in droves for the 2019 game. But any future FB games at Target Field will have to be "event games" to draw a big crowd. I don't think they're going to draw huge crowds for an Augsburg-Hamline game, for example. (although the Auggies would kick the bleep out of the Pipers.....)

Back to the Tommie-Johnnie game. I wonder how many fans that would draw if it was at US Bank or TCF. I seriously think they could top 40,000 at a larger stadium. Not every year, but as a one-time special event. one of those "wanted to say you were there" type of deals.

I wonder how accommodating US Bank stadium would be compared to say Target Field.

Target Field seems to work to host a lot of stuff.

US Bank Stadium so far not so much and I'm pretty sure the Wilfs would rather it had been their personal space or something...

I'll be curious to hear from someone who goes to the game this Saturday. I don't see how the game would be very good to watch as it is a baseball stadium.

Top Bottom