Dec. 26, 1:30 p.m. (ESPN)

Bonagura: UCLA vs. Central Michigan
Hale: Minnesota vs. Western Michigan

Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl

Nissan Stadium, Nashville, Tennessee
Dec. 29, 4:30 p.m. (ESPN)

Bonagura: NC State vs. Minnesota

Hale: Tennessee vs. Northwestern

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...week-3-college-football-bowl-projections-2017

Go Gophers!!

SBnation has us playing Auburn in the Music City Bowl

On my phone and too lazy to link.

ESPN chimes in:

Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl

Cotton Bowl, Dallas
Dec. 26, 1:30 p.m. (ESPN)

Bonagura: UCLA vs. Central Michigan
Hale: Minnesota vs. Western Michigan

Go Gophers!!

This would be ridiculous, the storylines would just write themselves. Fleck returns to Cotton Bowl to take on the team he built up from nothing. Granted it's just located at the Cotton Bowl, not the bowl game itself.

Jerry Palm is all-in on Purdue!

It's bizarre. He thinks they're going to go from 3-9 (1-8) to something like 10-2 (8-1) or better? They have a very good offense, but they've played a team with an ok-at-best D (Louisville) and two terrible teams - Ohio and Missouri. Their very good offense will get mostly neutralized in Big Ten play. Here are the S&P defensive rankings of their Big Ten opponents:

Michigan 2
Minnesota 18
@Wisconsin 6
@Rutgers 25
Nebraska 26
Illinois 64
@Northwestern 38
@Iowa 19
Indiana 30

In other words, they face 7 top-30 defenses in their 9 Big Ten games. They will be very lucky to win 4 games in-conference, and more realistically 2 or 3. I can see them beating Rutgers and Illinois, and they will be lucky to win any others. A really weird take from Palm.

It's bizarre. He thinks they're going to go from 3-9 (1-8) to something like 10-2 (8-1) or better? They have a very good offense, but they've played a team with an ok-at-best D (Louisville) and two terrible teams - Ohio and Missouri. Their very good offense will get mostly neutralized in Big Ten play. Here are the S&P defensive rankings of their Big Ten opponents:

Michigan 2
Minnesota 18
@Wisconsin 6
@Rutgers 25
Nebraska 26
Illinois 64
@Northwestern 38
@Iowa 19
Indiana 30

In other words, they face 7 top-30 defenses in their 9 Big Ten games. They will be very lucky to win 4 games in-conference, and more realistically 2 or 3. I can see them beating Rutgers and Illinois, and they will be lucky to win any others. A really weird take from Palm.

Do you know roughly S&P of opponents they have already played? Just curious and too lazy to look at work right now. I agree with you though, their B1G Ten Schedule is tough. I too think winning 4 B1G Ten Games will be tough for them.

Michigan 2
Minnesota 18
@Wisconsin 6
@Rutgers 25
Nebraska 26
Illinois 64
@Northwestern 38
@Iowa 19
Indiana 30

They have Brohm as the second coming......a bit early and you are spot on.

Do you know roughly S&P of opponents they have already played? Just curious and too lazy to look at work right now. I agree with you though, their B1G Ten Schedule is tough. I too think winning 4 B1G Ten Games will be tough for them.

If I'm reading the chart right (and I may not be -- it's the first time I've looked at it), these are the rankings:

Louisville: 39
Ohio: 69
Missouri: 100

I'm good with any bowl but the Heart of Dallas Bowl. That one is barely a notch above the Quick Lane Bowl.

Michigan 2
Minnesota 18
@Wisconsin 6
@Rutgers 25
Nebraska 26
Illinois 64
@Northwestern 38
@Iowa 19
Indiana 30

Jerry Palm is a Purdue grad, so part of it is probably wishful thinking. But if they somehow get to, say, eight wins, the Outback would be in play.

If the top 4 all get back into NYD6 bowls, the Outback would be looking for the best draw from the league's middle tier. Nebraska was the logical choice last year but they really wanted Iowa, and that will prevent the Hawkeyes from being in play this time around. So the options are down to Maryland, Minnesota, Michigan State (?), Northwestern (?)...whatever team can get to 8-4.

Of course this is all really premature, but beating the Terps next week could go a long ways when it comes time to determining the Gophers' bowl destination.

Top Bottom