Sid Hartman: McCrary comes through when Gophers need him

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Coach P.J. Fleck talked about the importance of McCrary’s play.

“[Former Gophers] coach [Glen] Mason said you have to have a pair and a spare, and we had a spare tire tonight, and that wasn’t a spare tire, though, that was a monster truck bigfoot tire,” Fleck said. “He had to step in. We talk about stepping up, you have to go. You have to go now. You can’t warm yourself up, you have to go.

“Kobe knew he’d probably get a little more carries, but then he became the feature back, and we had two backs over 100 yards, but I loved the way he ran. What did he have, 23 carries, 107 yards, three touchdowns, and that’s your third back? I’m proud of his development.”

McCrary said that while he has been third on the depth chart behind Smith and Brooks, he knew he could play.

“All of our running backs are prepared for the next man up, me, [Jonathan] Femi[-Cole], Mo [Mohamed Ibrahim], all of us are good enough to play if somebody goes down,” he said.

McCrary said that the team knew almost immediately that it could run the ball against the Blue Raiders, and the Gophers finished with 237 yards on 47 carries, an average of 5 yards a carry.

“We realized that from the first drive,” McCrary said. “The first play Rod almost broke. We knew we were going to be able to run the ball on them. We came into the game and we had to be physical up front. That was the game plan.”

http://www.startribune.com/kobe-mccrary-comes-through-when-gophers-need-him/444944203/

Go Gophers!!

Does anyone know what the time of possession is? I wouldn't mind the 5 yards per carry if they do it to run the clock down on opponents that have explosive offense.

The preseason games have been fun to watch. It is like watching a boxing match with lots of jabs and body shots thrown. Then, occasionally throw crosses, uppercuts, and hooks. Eventually, deliver a knockout punch after the opponent is fully tenderized.

Does anyone know what the time of possession is?

FAunbB.png

Top Bottom