Pherson: U's Fleck the ultimate leader

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pherson:

In short, Fleck oozes leadership. And that's why it pained me to see several senior members of the Twin Cities media writing off Fleck before he ever coached a game at TCF Bank Stadium.

Those media members already have downplayed Fleck's early season success (3-0), and they've no doubt prepared their criticism of any and all future failures.

I believe cynicism is a choice, and it's no way to go through life. Being skeptical is one thing -- we're reporters, we're supposed to be skeptical, right? -- but cynicism is a bitter dish I hope to never taste.

So, I expect those cynics to offer up a "yeah, but it was Middle Tennessee State" following Saturday's 34-3 blowout win over the Blue Raiders. They'll also raise the point that MTSU was without its starting quarterback (that's a fair point, though). Still, Fleck and his Gophers did what they were supposed to do (destroy a lesser foe), and that hasn't always been the case with previous Gophers regimes.

The cynics will, without a doubt, call this a puff piece. And yes, I am enamored of Fleck as a leader, and honestly I'd pay to hear that man speak about leadership.

Maybe he won't lead this team to the promised land, a Big Ten championship, a Rose Bowl appearance or any other major bowl game. But, win, lose or draw, I'm certain every kid who comes through that program while Fleck is in charge will leave as a man. And to me, that's the very definition of success.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_574f12e7-878c-5c45-b116-745a19b183d4.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom