Fans Need To Do Their Part

go4rob

Reaction score
The Maryland game is looming large on the horizon. It's time the fans around the State turn our for a BIG game. Nothing would get this team more amped-up to play, than coming out of the tunnel to a full house in 2 weeks. No excuses, let's fill up the "Bank".

The Maryland game is looming large on the horizon. It's time the fans around the State turn our for a BIG game. Nothing would get this team more amped-up to play, than coming out of the tunnel to a full house in 2 weeks. No excuses, let's fill up the "Bank".

Im in!

Your going to have to go outside the GH fan base to make that happen. I think most of us here are already going to the games. I have a friend that is flying in from AZ. to use two of my tickets.

I agree, but

Your going to have to go outside the GH fan base to make that happen. I think most of us here are already going to the games. I have a friend that is flying in from AZ. to use two of my tickets.

Not just going out and buying tickets, but to those season ticket holders: actually show up for a game. The first two home games had tons of empty seats in the season ticket sections. Don't know why people are staying away. :(

Not just going out and buying tickets, but to those season ticket holders: actually show up for a game. The first two home games had tons of empty seats in the season ticket sections. Don't know why people are staying away. :(

Probably because we've played two no-name state universities, had a massive sexual assault scandal, and fired our coach last year.
Right after astronomically jacking up our ticket prices, and declaring we were going to jack them up even more two years later.

Casual fans probably aren't lining up to go to our games right now.
I'm sure it won't be as empty for the B1G opener though.

I'm in the boat... Flying up with a group of 4 from Nashville!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be nice. They need to get the student section as full as it was for the opener, that would be huge. The student section makes more noise than the rest of the stadium. I don't care how they do it, start giving out the tickets, have some tail gates where students can win tickets or something but get the student section full.

It would be nice. They need to get the student section as full as it was for the opener, that would be huge. The student section makes more noise than the rest of the stadium. I don't care how they do it, start giving out the tickets, have some tail gates where students can win tickets or something but get the student section full.

The student section was full the first game because all incoming freshmen got free tickets. I was actually impressed with how many students showed last Saturday, given it was versus Middle Tennessee. I'd expect no increase of students to the Maryland game if the start time is 11am, a slight increase if it's at 2:30pm, and a close-to-full section if the game gets 7pm primetime status. The time of the game really affects attendance, as the average student fan doesn't want to battle against the hangover to show up at 11 am.

Agree. I don't care if they give them away for free to the students & do 4 tix/4 hot dogs/4 cokes for $40 to the general public. Find a way to get it full.

Pretty clear that there is at minimum an issue with the scholarship amount on the Zone 1 and 2 pricing. Those sections are about 40% full despite being the best tickets in the house. Looking around the stadium it's easy to see where the donation amount cutoffs are. Zone 1 and 2 are terrible, under half full, zone 3 is better ~70% full, Zone 4 is packed about 85% looks comical how those sections on the ends fill up compared to the empty middle. So the message to the ticket office couldn't be clearer. $800 or $600 scholarship on a $330 ticket is laughable at this point. You don't need to eliminate scholarship seating completely because people will pay some premium for the best seats, but your way out of line right now and I pray someone figures this out because even a 10 win season and a hot new coach won't fix it.

Capture.jpg

Pretty clear that there is at minimum an issue with the scholarship amount on the Zone 1 and 2 pricing. Those sections are about 40% full despite being the best tickets in the house. Looking around the stadium it's easy to see where the donation amount cutoffs are. Zone 1 and 2 are terrible, under half full, zone 3 is better ~70% full, Zone 4 is packed about 85% looks comical how those sections on the ends fill up compared to the empty middle. So the message to the ticket office couldn't be clearer. $800 or $600 scholarship on a $330 ticket is laughable at this point. You don't need to eliminate scholarship seating completely because people will pay some premium for the best seats, but your way out of line right now and I pray someone figures this out because even a 10 win season and a hot new coach won't fix it.

View attachment 5114

Spot on.
My favorite is the 8 empty rows in section 139 both weeks this year.
Then you look at the corners by the student section, packed.
There are too many other sports options in this town to jack up prices as aggressively as the U's athletic department has.
If they try to touch my prices or donation by even a little bit next year I would drop my zone three seats.
Barely hanging on as it is, and we don't play any good OOC games at home until 2022.
Not worth it.

As we've seen telling fans on GH to show up clearly impacts attendance ;)

In the end Ws are what is needed, and Ws against better teams.

As we've seen telling fans on GH to show up clearly impacts attendance ;)

In the end Ws are what is needed, and Ws against better teams.

I mean we had a 9 win year last year and this is happening.
Fleck can win all the games he wants, and it will start to get full toward the end of the season, but, honestly, the prices are way too high.
$630 per season ticket is manageable for zone three, but if I want to move up to zone 2, forget about it.
$2000 for two tickets to a team that doesn't play P5 opponents OOC, no thanks.

If Coyle was smart he would just drop all the donation area's and just take a fan friendly percentage and increase all ticket prices. 10,000 empty seats a game in the non-conference portion means a lot of lost concessions, parking revenue, etc. Students pay 5.00 bucks a game
Tickets between the 40-50- 60.00
". " " 30-40 -50.00
". ". ". 20-30- 40.00
". ". " 10-20- 30.00
". ". ". Endzone- 10 - 20.00
I think most fans could live with those prices. Donations should never be mandatory.

View attachment 5114
+1000000. It's hard to fathom that a university with an acclaimed business school like Carlson, does such a crappy job of marketing and planning and selling this stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The crappy job of marketing has a long history for Gopher Football.

If Coyle was smart he would just drop all the donation area's and just take a fan friendly percentage and increase all ticket prices. 10,000 empty seats a game in the non-conference portion means a lot of lost concessions, parking revenue, etc. Students pay 5.00 bucks a game
Tickets between the 40-50- 60.00
". " " 30-40 -50.00
". ". ". 20-30- 40.00
". ". " 10-20- 30.00
". ". ". Endzone- 10 - 20.00
I think most fans could live with those prices. Donations should never be mandatory.

And who is going to foot the bill for all of this. If you have not noticed, it costs a lot of money to run a division one football program. Include all the other sports also. We have three sports that pay for the entire program. It's a fact of life.

And who is going to foot the bill for all of this. If you have not noticed, it costs a lot of money to run a division one football program. Include all the other sports also. We have three sports that pay for the entire program. It's a fact of life.

Who was footing the bill before?

if you sell more tickets at a lower price, you can make up the difference.

The mandatory donations are necessary but need to be refined to entice more fans to attend games.

Once nice thing is that 80% of all "donations" from seat purchases are tax deductible

Empty seats don't pay for anything. The math of tripling price and losing half your fans and coming out ahead doesn't work when the fans in the quadruple price seats all bail and you only retain the fans in the 50% increase area.

if you sell more tickets at a lower price, you can make up the difference.

The mandatory donations are necessary but need to be refined to entice more fans to attend games.

Once nice thing is that 80% of all "donations" from seat purchases are tax deductible

Except that donation isn't going to be enough to push me over the standard deductible and since I don't own a house or have kids....
Claim tax deduct-ability all you want, it's a giant f*ing price increase for any young person that would want to go to the games.

Would be nice to see fans stay until the end of the game, too. I'll never understand that...pay good money for a seat, or seats, and then leave just so you can try and beat traffic and hurry up to get home? Puzzling.

Would be nice to see fans stay until the end of the game, too. I'll never understand that...pay good money for a seat, or seats, and then leave just so you can try and beat traffic and hurry up to get home? Puzzling.

Wisconsin fans leave early, Bama fans leave early....
Leaving early is a time honored tradition of elite football teams :)

Depends on if you brought kids or not...

Winning will help fill the stadium seats.

Please get the B1G to ditch the 11am start times. Our group of 8 former season ticket holders were targeting the Maryland game as a possibility but now that the start time is out, I don't know...

Who was footing the bill before?

The bill wasn't nearly as high before because the U's administration wasn't trying to change the culture and win a Big 10 Championship for the first time since 1967. Being happy with 6 wins, a losing Big 10 won-loss record, and a minor bowl game has been the culture at the U for decades.

IIRC one of the reasons for the steep donations is that UM keeps most or all of it. Tickets are revenue shared across the conference.

Just repeating what I learned on Gopherhole...so high level of risk of inaccuracy!!!!

I'm sure the U has done the math and determined that they're making more money selling fewer tickets that cost more. But what's best for the short term isn't always best for the long term.

Reduce prices to increase demand, fill the stadium and make it more fun. Build your fan base. Make more people want to be a part of it. Then you can increase prices; when season ticket holders leave, you have more bodies to take their place.

The Gophers are reaping benefits from the B1G contract. Keep things simple stupid. Put in stable tickets prices that " everybody" can afford. You want to sit on the 50 yard line 60 bucks isn't going to break you. 420.00 for season tickets to sit on the 50 is a no brainier. Throw it on your Capital 1 card and get some points. Gophers get a 10-11 win season, raise the ticket prices
5% . Don't gut them Folks, it's supply and demand, and right now the demand isn't there.

Top Bottom