IW video tweeted by Sportscenter

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
One of his random Instagram videos of him dribbling alone and having some ridiculous finish was tweeted by sports center. Oddly, they didn't @ him.

I'm bored. I miss basketball.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

When is the last time the Gophers had a player with the Fame of IW? This is great for the Gophers!

When is the last time the Gophers had a player with the Fame of IW? This is great for the Gophers!

Probably Joey King when he cried after the upset over #6 Maryland.

As a recruit, probably never. He has fans in China and all over the world.

This is what I was going to say. Imagine if he is really good for the Gophers on the court. You know ESPN/Sportscenter/Twitter are going to be all over any highlights of his.

Hopefully Gopher fans are more accepting of his personality, showmanship, etc. than they are of PJ Fleck

Note: He has reached 363,000 Instagram followers...which is insane.

Hopefully Gopher fans are more accepting of his personality, showmanship, etc. than they are of PJ Fleck

Well fortunately, I don't think I've seen a whole lot of complaining here or elsewhere that we should have taken Wright or Davison instead, which might be the equivalent of football fans who think Claeys shouldn't have been fired, and are allowing that belief to sour their opinions of Fleck. The fact that Washington is a player while Fleck is a coach means that Isaiah won't be speaking to media nearly as much as Fleck does and won't do as much PR as Fleck does. I just saw a thread on the football board where someone said he finds Fleck more tolerable when he avoids watching interviews and coach's shows so he never has to hear him talk. It's a shame that enthusiasm, energy, and high aspirations are seen as negative traits by some, but that's not a problem that Washington will have.

I won't be shocked if at some point he loses the ball while attempting a spin move and gets hammered in the game thread for it though :p

Well fortunately, I don't think I've seen a whole lot of complaining here or elsewhere that we should have taken Wright or Davison instead, which might be the equivalent of football fans who think Claeys shouldn't have been fired, and are allowing that belief to sour their opinions of Fleck. The fact that Washington is a player while Fleck is a coach means that Isaiah won't be speaking to media nearly as much as Fleck does and won't do as much PR as Fleck does. I just saw a thread on the football board where someone said he finds Fleck more tolerable when he avoids watching interviews and coach's shows so he never has to hear him talk. It's a shame that enthusiasm, energy, and high aspirations are seen as negative traits by some, but that's not a problem that Washington will have.

I won't be shocked if at some point he loses the ball while attempting a spin move and gets hammered in the game thread for it though :p

I just know how fans can be. If Pitino wants to get the MOST out of IW, I think you have to loosen the reigns at times. Let him break down a defender, make a great pass, etc. as that is what he does best. Obviously I want IW to succeed and do it within the system but I love the idea that with 10 seconds to go in the shot clock we can give the ball to IW and he can most likely create a good scoring opportunity for himself or his teammate. Is this the entire offense? No, but it is an asset.

Fans like kids "from here" because somehow that makes them better. Wright and Davison are fine players but I think IW fits the system better and is a better recruit. His notoriety also helps build the image of the program.

Note: He has reached 363,000 Instagram followers...which is insane.

Is it insane? My 11 year old cousin has an instagram account where she makes slime and posts videos where she smashes it. She has 125,000 followers.

Why does he do his best to make layups hard? Does he do this in games?

Why does he do his best to make layups hard? Does he do this in games?

Yes, he got named Mr. Basketball in the state of New York because he refuses to do a normal layup - only 360s.

Is it insane? My 11 year old cousin has an instagram account where she makes slime and posts videos where she smashes it. She has 125,000 followers.

Makes slime and smashes it? Wut?

1.Yes, it is insane.
2. I don't believe you

Yes, he got named Mr. Basketball in the state of New York because he refuses to do a normal layup - only 360s.

Don't appreciate the sarcasm, and it didnt answer the question.

I get it, he's a big time recruit. All the documentaries and videos I have seen about him though, pose him as a street baller who is very concerned about style. I don't mind flare, but I think its a genuine question, based on what I have seen on him, if he might showboat too much in games.

Here's a video with game highlights of Washington. By the 2 minute mark, you will see that his in-game layups are pretty standard, even on breakaways. That a 5'11", 6'0" guard noted for his ability to penetrate is working on how to creatively make layups seems to me to be a good thing to develop. From everything I've heard about Washington, he's a gym rat-I'm not too worried at all about that type of player having some fun and being creative amongst the overall development of his game.

I get it, he's a big time recruit. All the documentaries and videos I have seen about him though, pose him as a street baller who is very concerned about style. I don't mind flare, but I think its a genuine question, based on what I have seen on him, if he might showboat too much in games.

You may not appreciate the sarcasm, but I just thought it was a silly question (if you weren't trolling). If you can find documentary videos of Washington, it's just a few different keystrokes to search and find plenty of actual game tape of him playing (and not doing 360s) - which is what coolhand did in his post.

Still skeptical that his cousin has 125,000 followers, but even if she does, that doesn't make Washington's follower count any less impressive, especially since he would still have significantly more than her.

I was being kind of sarcastic with my initial post about what is and isn't impressive, but she is very real and has over 125K followers now. She had 80K followers when I first found out about this in July!

My only point was that there are a ton of people on instagram, and these accounts seem to blow up. Really both are very impressive though, I'm hoping my cousin can some how make money or kick start something with this type of following.

All you have to do is look at his ability to handle the ball, and you will realize that all of your concerns are illegitimate. Pitino has been quoted many times stating that he'll have a problem with in-game flair if it ends in a blocked shot. This stuff is incredibly overblown and annoying. He's a D1 basketball player for a major program who is going to get a lot of minutes, deservedly so. Also, when he dribbles his way into trouble this season, please don't come back and post your thoughts on how his flair is obstructing the game. Because, by that time, there will be many more examples of how his dribbling prowess resulted in a productive play.

All in all, perhaps you should have more faith in a player that committed here, and more faith in the coach who recruited him.

Still skeptical that his cousin has 125,000 followers, but even if she does, that doesn't make Washington's follower count any less impressive, especially since he would still have significantly more than her.

Don't worry, we're all waiting for the blood test results.

I was being kind of sarcastic with my initial post about what is and isn't impressive, but she is very real and has over 125K followers now. She had 80K followers when I first found out about this in July!

My only point was that there are a ton of people on instagram, and these accounts seem to blow up. Really both are very impressive though, I'm hoping my cousin can some how make money or kick start something with this type of following.

My bad, didn't catch the sarcasm.

Who knows about his cousin but there are a lot of weird posters on the internet. I was asking my son about this (is that a high number of followers) he said sure but then showed me a link to a guy who records himself playing video games while swearing and shouting things at the tv and he has just under 4,000,000 followers. Who the hell would watch that?

All you have to do is look at his ability to handle the ball, and you will realize that all of your concerns are illegitimate. Pitino has been quoted many times stating that he'll have a problem with in-game flair if it ends in a blocked shot. This stuff is incredibly overblown and annoying. He's a D1 basketball player for a major program who is going to get a lot of minutes, deservedly so. Also, when he dribbles his way into trouble this season, please don't come back and post your thoughts on how his flair is obstructing the game. Because, by that time, there will be many more examples of how his dribbling prowess resulted in a productive play.

All in all, perhaps you should have more faith in a player that committed here, and more faith in the coach who recruited him.

So, blindly accept the kid with no faults because he committed to Pitino? I guess Pitino recruits the perfect player every time!

Look, Im glad Jelly Fam is here...but, good lord!

Top Bottom