Maryland-Minnesota game time? UPDATED: 11 a.m. and can be viewed on FS1

The price is 11:00 AM for being MN. No R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

I don't mind an occasional 11 am start as long as it isn't every game. Breakfast tailgates are always great with lots of bloody Mary's, screwdrivers, breakfast burritos, biscuits and gravy, etc. Plus, you get home in time to recover while enjoying the afternoon and evening games on TV.

Cable subscribers
ESPN 87,217,000
FS1 84,421,000
NBCSN 84,439,000
ESPN2 87,088,000
ESPNU 66,083,000
FS2 has 52,170,000 subscribers, which is up 2,006,000 since March.
Big Ten Network 57,595,000 subscribers.

FS1 reported viewership of just over 2 million for Maryland/Texas, very strong.
FOX had Louisville/Purdue and they reported 1.79 million, also good number.

Your prime time ABC/CBS/ESPN marquis games of the week will draw 6 to 10 million.

FOX earned a 1.5 rating and 2.6 million viewers for Nebraska-Oregon, its top college football audience of the weekend.
There was no comparable window last year.

The primetime Stanford-USC game 2.1 million, up 20% in ratings and 22% in viewership from BYU-Utah last year (1.0, 1.7M), but down a third and 28% respectively from the teams’ meeting on ABC last season (1.8, 2.9M).

Fox Sports 1 topped out at 410,000 for Minnesota-Oregon State — down 51% from Texas Tech-Arizona State last year (834K).

If anyone knows:

what is the 'pecking order' for determining which games will be on which networks?

I assume there is some system in which network A gets first choice, Network B is next and so forth. But, I don't know which network gets 1st choice and I don't know whether the choice is specific to a certain time slot or not. (in other words, do they fill the 11:00 slot first, or does the network with 1st choice get to choose for any time slot?)

Here's what I'm getting at. how far down on the pecking order is FS1? Is this a game they really wanted, or did they lose the game of musical chairs and wound up with the consolation prize?

The networks have a drafting process for the league’s games. FOX, ABC/ESPN and BTN each have first selection on different weeks. FOX will show the highly coveted Michigan-Ohio State finale this year.

“FOX has the No. 1 overall selection of all games for the season every year,” said Mike McComiskey, the Big Ten’s associate commissioner for technology who handles Big Ten football scheduling. “After that, it rotates through the top picks for a while through FOX and ESPN and then into BTN. They do a draft process in the spring where they now have each week of the season. They’re not actually picking games at that point, but they’re taking their slotted draft picks.

“There’s 95 games that fall under the Big Ten television contract this year, so they have one through 95 plotted out between the three networks. They’ve got the draft and they’ve drafted out each of those weeks as to who has the first, second, third and beyond picks of those weeks.”

Additionally, prime-time games can air concurrently on FOX and ABC/ESPN. So, for instance, when FOX broadcasts Notre Dame at Michigan State in prime time on Sept. 23, ABC or ESPN can show Penn State at Iowa at the same time.

more details at link...talks about if both agree to it, even a late season game like WI/MN can be shifted to night time.

https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/bi...-primetime-system-friday-changes-black-friday

If anyone knows:

what is the 'pecking order' for determining which games will be on which networks?

I assume there is some system in which network A gets first choice, Network B is next and so forth. But, I don't know which network gets 1st choice and I don't know whether the choice is specific to a certain time slot or not. (in other words, do they fill the 11:00 slot first, or does the network with 1st choice get to choose for any time slot?)

Here's what I'm getting at. how far down on the pecking order is FS1? Is this a game they really wanted, or did they lose the game of musical chairs and wound up with the consolation prize?

I think FOX and ESPN hash out who gets first pick of games each week at the start of the season. Per Sports Business Daily:

The difference between the two packages is that Fox Sports will carry the Big Ten football championship game every season, which is a strong draw each December. Fox also will have game selection advantages over ESPN, which almost certainly means that the coveted Michigan-Ohio State rivalry will move to Fox most years.

Before each season, the networks will pick the weeks where they get first choice of games. Fox will have the first pick every year; ESPN will have the second; Fox will have the third, and so on.

Now, it's probably impossible - without knowing someone in the room - to determine which network has the first choice in any given week, and there are other variables in play. But given Iowa-MSU is probably the biggest conference ratings draw for 9/30, my guess is that FOX had first pick this week and chose that one. Someone closer to the process can probably jump in and correct me.

Bummer. Was really hoping for a night game.

Money, money, money! More money.

If I remember correctly.....the Big Ten Network is a FOX affiliated channel.....kind of like the SEC and ESPN. Makes sense why FOX would get the best matchups and why FS1 would be able to pick up conference games. I feel like FS1 has a pretty strong reach. Definitely better than ending up on ESPN NEWS/ESPNU/CBS Sports Network.

Oh, and I'm very happy that it's an 11a.m. start!

So, it looks like the Gophers - Maryland game was 3rd choice for Fox/FS1 - with the 3pm and 7pm time slots considered more attractive.

We'll just have to see what happens in the future. If the Gophers can win some games, maybe they'll move up the pecking order.

I think FOX and ESPN hash out who gets first pick of games each week at the start of the season. Per Sports Business Daily:

Now, it's probably impossible - without knowing someone in the room - to determine which network has the first choice in any given week, and there are other variables in play. But given Iowa-MSU is probably the biggest conference ratings draw for 9/30, my guess is that FOX had first pick this week and chose that one. Someone closer to the process can probably jump in and correct me.

I just assumed the networks contacted Harbaugh and Meyer first to see what they want as far as game time, then fill everyone else in after that. :rolleyes:

Bummer I have a thing scheduled for that morning. Guess I'll be a bit late.

Shocking. Just another reminder of what a dirty rotten liar that Jim Delaney is. Years ago, he made the promise that the conference was going to work on eliminating games that started before noon local time. And years later, nothing has changed. Money matters over everything else. You don't need to lie to people if you have no intention of following through.

Shocking. Just another reminder of what a dirty rotten liar that Jim Delaney is. Years ago, he made the promise that the conference was going to work on eliminating games that started before noon local time. And years later, nothing has changed. Money matters over everything else. You don't need to lie to people if you have no intention of following through.

Maybe they did work toward it but couldn't make it happen? Settle down.

11am starts are the best anyway.

Didn't someone note in here about other weekends where there were fewer 11am games?

Having nobody at 11am would be a missed opportunity for air time too...

Selfishly, I'm good with it this one time, as it will make it possible to make the Twins game too.

Another game on FS1, which is a network that I don't get at home. Ho hum. Guess I'll have to head down to the bar to watch this one.

A short term solution for those that don't get FS1 is to sign up for the week long trial for Playstation Vue if you have a streaming device. FS1 is included.

Another game on FS1, which is a network that I don't get at home. Ho hum. Guess I'll have to head down to the bar to watch this one.

www.reddit.com/r/cfbstreams

Free streams of varying quality for every game. I have no cable package and watch all my sports via reddit streams. Can be frustrating at times to find a stable stream, but usually have decent luck.

I have cable, but please don't try to solve my problem. I prefer the problem to the solution.

We all have to make our choices, but I've never understood those who will go drop $20 on drinks/food at the bar to watch a game rather than pay $10 to add the sports package on their cable. Unless of course you need the excuse to get out of the house and hit the bar, in which case, it's perfect.

A short term solution for those that don't get FS1 is to sign up for the week long trial for Playstation Vue if you have a streaming device. FS1 is included.
You can try sign up for Sling TV free trial and get the blue package that has FS1. I think it's a 10 day trial.

Top Bottom