PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 9-17-17

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gophers FB coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle with Sid, Dave and Max on Sunday, Sept 17th.

Sid: how serious are the injuries to the RB's and other players
PJF: Rodney banged up. made decision at halftime to keep him out. felt other guys could get the job done. held Shannon out, he should be ready to go for Maryland.

Sid: McCrary?
PJF: (Mason) pair and a spare. our spare is a bigfoot tire. take advantage of opportunities. Kobe had a tremendous camp. He would be a #1 in a lot of places. We have a 1A, 1B, 1C. you'll see him a lot more.

Sid: O-line in 3 games - outscoring opponents.
PJF: line is getting better; still a work in progress, with Jared being out. young and inexperienced. Credit to Ed - great job. Kirk. credit to those guys. players work their tails off every day. emphasis since January. only 4 linemen going in the spring. long way to go.

Sid: (your record) 23-3 in last 26 games.
PJF: those last 26 games don't matter any more. those wins happened because of our staff and our players. the head coach is the smallest piece of that. phenomenal staff.

Mona: Huff scored TD. is he one of your favorites?
PJF: you love all of your children. so proud of Huff, he's come so far. really dynamic person - really good people do all the right things, have success, he's future of our culture - priceless. sets tone for culture of doing things the right way.

Sid: Johnson absent from passing game
PJF: had a drop. was targeted 1 or 2 other times. last week we were able to execute those plays. he was targeted about the same. we did what we had to do to win game. depends on where the game's going. now getting into B1G play, changes balance of offense, games might be tighter.

Sid: what about the defense
PJF: proud of defense. Robb doing phenomenal job. playing so hard. game plan spot-on. we saw some of the best receivers in the country, and our guys locked them down. were able to get pressure on QB, force him to make incompletions. did good job tackling.

Sid: punter - 64 yards
PJF: really special. one of best punters in country. bright future. gives so much. head of Athletes in Action. involved in the community. focused. Special teams coordinator does tremendous job preparing.

Mona: Barber presence of mind to get INT
PJF: we do all types of ball disruption drills. trained behavior becomes instinct. takes long time to build habit, instill it as an instinct. swarm to the ball, get things to bounce your way. Barber in right place at right time because he hustled.

Sid: what about Winfield - how did he play
PJF: did a tremendous job locking #3 down.

Mona: Wozniak?
PJF: used all of the green on that one. got to use all of our talent. we don't have all-americans at every position. everyone has their role. TE's need to get more involved.

Sid: practice schedule this week?
PJF: going recruiting. find the future of Gopher FB. lot of people want to be Gophers now. Practice Tues, Weds, Thurs. go back to fundamentals - like long week going into Oregon State. Review last 3 games. fix problems.

Sid: great job. great PR for U of M. coaching outstanding. Murray's certificate.
PJF: RTB, Ski-U-Mah.

The Bachmeier visit this week is huge...

Still concerned about Rodney. I like this team. I remember in the past we were concerned when we would barely get through non conference and we would wonder how we would get through the Big Ten schedule. This team will get better and hopefully peak at the end of the year. Thanks Son for the report! You getting them Murray's certificates?

Thanks SON. Fleck explained the offensive strategy very succinctly, did what they had to to do win, depends on where the game is going, probably means B1G games will be closer. Workman-like approach, all makes sense to me.

Thanks, shorty. Always a great job. Thank you.

Seems like PJ was very vague re: Rodney? Is there any clarity as to what he injured or how long he might be out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like PJ was very vague re: Rodney? Is there any clarity as to what he injured or how long he might be out?

Pretty sure it was a concussion.

Top Bottom