[DAY AFTER THREAD] Minnesota defeats MTSU 34-3

MTSU has had a stout run defense until yesterday. Speaks well for the development of the OL.

I've really liked the improvement of the O line...a few weeks ago half of the posters were already giving up on the season LOL.
Defense has been great...more pressure generated than expected...like that.
Need to develop some D backs as the depth is thin
Defense is great because of Kill/Claeys recruits not a single starter is a PJ recruit. Do we go up or down when it's his guys? Defenses have been so good under that regime so to get better would be amazing.
Been fun so far, going to enjoy the rest of the season!

I discovered a new drinking game.

Take a shot every time they run the read option and Rhoda keeps the ball. This game is appropriate for AA meetings.

Sheesh! That would be an interesting game with 151 proof Bacardi Rum. :drink:

My takeaways:

Heavily favored: Illinois
Slight favorites: Maryland, @Purdue, Michigan State, Nebraska
Slight underdogs: @Iowa, @Northwestern
Big underdogs: @Michigan, Wisconsin

Should be a fun year!!

Not sure, Maryland and Purdue look great. Michigan st looks solid.
Would say slight favorites to Neb, and NW.

Not sure we will be huge dogs to Mich or Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS. How many times in the last few years have our Gophs played these types of "should win" games way too close; only pulling out at the end (Kent State)... It's nice to see some SHUTDOWN and killer instinct. We'll see what happens from here.

One word I'll use to describe the coaching through 3 games is conservative.

If something doesn't need to be risked or exposed, they're not going to do it. I believe this is the case with the offensive attack at this point, partly due to schematics and partly personnel. I also see this with injuries, holding out someone like Brooks if they don't feel he's crucial that day.

How many quips quoting RUTM were there the last 5 years?

True. But as others have pointed out they barely won games doing it. Flecks squad has outscored their last two opponents 82-17 being very conservative.

So far, the formula is working. My question is - what happens when/if it doesn't work?

Not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but just stating the obvious. I don't think the Gophers are going to roll through the season without encountering some level of adversity. And I'm curious to see how they deal with that adversity.

If the Gophers find themselves down by 10 points in the 4th quarter, how do they handle it? If they need to come from behind to win a game, do they open up the offense? How much do they open it up? How much are they capable of opening it up?

That, to me, is the real issue/question - are they playing this way for tactical reasons, or are they playing this way because the coaches believe that is all they're capable of? What is the ceiling for this team? How much is there in the playbook that we haven't seen yet?

Look - if they won every game 34-3, I would be thrilled. I just don't expect them to win every game 34-3. the "easy" part of the season is over. It only gets harder the rest of the way. That does NOT mean that I don't think this team will do well. I just am curious about how they will approach the challenges to come.

Based on just researching overall stats when we hired PJ...he coaches a smart, some would say conservative style. He says results don't matter but he coaches exactly the opposite. He coaches to win the game. (I'll bet Western Michigan didn't pass in same situations on their way to 13 and 0.) We'll do whatever we have to do to win the game. We have the plays to come from 10 behind, whether we are able to execute them will be the question. I think we will get it done more than we don't. I like the way PJ "manages" the game.

He certainly is paying attention to EVERY...and I mean EVERY...snap on both sides of the ball. All coaches do of course but he really does it.

With that gold jacket and similar shoes yesterday you could see that clearly from the upper deck in 211.

Very high situational awareness. This is a good thing.

He certainly is paying attention to EVERY...and I mean EVERY...snap on both sides of the ball. All coaches do of course but he really does it.

With that gold jacket and similar shoes yesterday you could see that clearly from the upper deck in 211.

Yes, he was either just hyper active or signaling offensive plays or acting as a signaling decoy from time to time. He had a lot of motion at times. I noticed it most in the second half.

I'll take a shot...

So far, the formula is working. My question is - what happens when/if it doesn't work?

Not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but just stating the obvious. I don't think the Gophers are going to roll through the season without encountering some level of adversity. And I'm curious to see how they deal with that adversity.

If the Gophers find themselves down by 10 points in the 4th quarter, how do they handle it? They do everything they can to catch up, can't see Fleck doing anything but everything he can to win If they need to come from behind to win a game, do they open up the offense?Yes How much do they open it up? As much as they can to have success How much are they capable of opening it up?Yet to be determined

That, to me, is the real issue/question - are they playing this way for tactical reasons, or are they playing this way because the coaches believe that is all they're capable of? I think it's a little of both What is the ceiling for this team? Nobody knows How much is there in the playbook that we haven't seen yet? I think a fair amount

Look - if they won every game 34-3, I would be thrilled. I just don't expect them to win every game 34-3. the "easy" part of the season is over. It only gets harder the rest of the way. That does NOT mean that I don't think this team will do well. I just am curious about how they will approach the challenges to come.
It'll be fun to watch

If the Gophers find themselves down by 10 points in the 4th quarter, how do they handle it? If they need to come from behind to win a game, do they open up the offense? How much do they open it up? How much are they capable of opening it up?

That, to me, is the real issue/question - are they playing this way for tactical reasons, or are they playing this way because the coaches believe that is all they're capable of? What is the ceiling for this team? How much is there in the playbook that we haven't seen yet?

You can't help yourself....you're Norwegian!!!!!

I agree. I've noticed that he often distances himself from everyone during the actual plays and takes it all in, then comes back over and works with the team during timeouts.

No one really speaks to him unless they are spoken to.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

To get sacked, you must first attempt to make a forward pass, Army may not have a sack all year.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Also noted that through our non conference schedule last year, Minnesota gave up only one sack, to Colorado St for a loss of 4 yards.

As fans we get the luxury of demanding a whoop'n of our lesser opponents. It was really nice to enjoy that this past Saturday.

I'd argue we mainly need a QB with good anticipation and progression (although Rhoda and they boys could certainly take a step) but yes, we need a deep threat and some bigger bodies with reliable hands. It wouldn't hurt to have an elite pass-catching TE.

Perhaps I'm being a bit unfair and subject to first impressions but it seems like a pass to Woz is a coin flip. I always think of this scene. Who's always open? The fullback or the tight end. Game on the line, going to Woz!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U41nizc0370" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Glad I wasn't the only one wondering where Poock has been while the defense is on the field, as I have seen him on special teams. We could actually end up being dogs against Maryland, but the UCF game will really help determine it further.

As the season progresses, I am more concerned about Maryland and Purdue and less concerned about Iowa and Nebraska. Not saying Purdue > Nebraska (Yet) but trending in that direction.

Top Bottom