Week 3 Big Ten Power Rankings Thread

ESPN chimes in:

10. Minnesota (10): Minnesota could see its stock rise after its 3-0 start, but the game against Maryland in two weeks could tell us where the Gophers really are in the power index. Minnesota beat Middle Tennessee 34-3 on Saturday, and while it seems as though coach P.J. Fleck has this team ahead of schedule, conference play could prove to be a big test for the Gophers.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...wer-rankings-purdue-trending-up-nebraska-down

Go Gophers!!

MLive.com chimes in:

8. Minnesota (3-0)
P.J. Fleck has the makings of a strong run game and defense. And that will win you a lot of games in the Big Ten. Minnesota had a pair of 100-yard rushers and held a high-powered MTSU offense to just a field goal in a 34-3 win. Impressive stuff. Guess the Gophers got their revenge for MTSU knocking their basketball team out of the NCAA Tournament last March. (Last week: 9)

http://www.mlive.com/sports/2017/09/big_ten_power_rankings_michiga_2.html

Go Gophers!!

Seems our Gophers could be anywhere from 5-11. It's early and I hope we can keep moving up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

ESPN chimes in:

10. Minnesota (10): Minnesota could see its stock rise after its 3-0 start, but the game against Maryland in two weeks could tell us where the Gophers really are in the power index.
http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...wer-rankings-purdue-trending-up-nebraska-down

Go Gophers!!

Interesting that they need to wait until the 4th game to consider any upgrade to the Gophers (the Gophers did improve one spot but only because Nebraska dropped so far) but feel no need to do that for Purdue or Indiana who they have ranked ahead of the Gophers. These over and under reactions are entertaining I guess but I hope these guys don't get paid much for these estimations.

Seems to me that estimating where the Gophers rank within the conference should be pretty simple at this point:

Sagarin: 7th
Massey: 5th
ESPN power index: 8th
Sports Reference Simple Rating System: 5th

The average of those four rankings is 6.4, so let's say 6th or 7th.

Cleveland Plain Dealer: 6th

Minnesota rowing the boat to a 3-0 start
Staying in the West, Minnesota is another early-season surprise.
P.J. Fleck’s Gophers head into their bye week with a 3-0 start after beating Middle Tennessee, 34-3, on Saturday.
Minnesota is a plus-75 in point differential. Only Penn State is better among Big Ten teams.
The Gophers have been very run-heavy early on, carrying the ball 156 times as a team for 643 yards and nine touchdowns.

Power Rankings after Week 3
The Big Ten power rankings are voted on by Tim Bielik, Bill Landis and Doug Lesmerises.
Record and previous rank are in parentheses.
1. Penn State (3-0) (1)
2. Michigan (3-0) (2)
3. Ohio State (2-1, 1-0) (3)
4. Wisconsin (3-0) (4)
5. Maryland (2-0) (6)
6. Minnesota (3-0) (10)
7. Iowa (3-0) (5)
8. Michigan State (3-0) (7)
9. Purdue (2-1) (11)
10. Indiana (1-1, 0-1) (9)
11. Northwestern (2-1) (11)
12. Nebraska (1-2) (8)
13. Illinois (2-1) (13)
14. Rutgers (1-2) (14)

Less than a year from taking Penn State to overtime in Happy Valley. Less than a year from struggling to get by Rutgers at home. Any given Saturday!

Cleveland Plain Dealer: 6th

Minnesota rowing the boat to a 3-0 start
Staying in the West, Minnesota is another early-season surprise.
P.J. Fleck’s Gophers head into their bye week with a 3-0 start after beating Middle Tennessee, 34-3, on Saturday.
Minnesota is a plus-75 in point differential. Only Penn State is better among Big Ten teams.
The Gophers have been very run-heavy early on, carrying the ball 156 times as a team for 643 yards and nine touchdowns.

Power Rankings after Week 3
The Big Ten power rankings are voted on by Tim Bielik, Bill Landis and Doug Lesmerises.
Record and previous rank are in parentheses.
1. Penn State (3-0) (1)
2. Michigan (3-0) (2)
3. Ohio State (2-1, 1-0) (3)
4. Wisconsin (3-0) (4)
5. Maryland (2-0) (6)
6. Minnesota (3-0) (10)
7. Iowa (3-0) (5)
8. Michigan State (3-0) (7)
9. Purdue (2-1) (11)
10. Indiana (1-1, 0-1) (9)
11. Northwestern (2-1) (11)
12. Nebraska (1-2) (8)
13. Illinois (2-1) (13)
14. Rutgers (1-2) (14)

This ranking baffles me. Right now, psu, and sconnie are tops in the b1g along with Michigan. Ohio st is a clear 4th.

Ohio State beat Wisconsin and Michigan last year...until proven otherwise head-to-head, I would assume they are still better.

I apply same logic to Minnesota with Maryland and Purdue.

I apply different logic to Minnesota with Nebraska and Iowa.

Stanley was in our back yard. He can sling it a little bit. Iowa defense not as good as it was.

ESPN chimes in:

10. Minnesota (10): Minnesota could see its stock rise after its 3-0 start, but the game against Maryland in two weeks could tell us where the Gophers really are in the power index. Minnesota beat Middle Tennessee 34-3 on Saturday, and while it seems as though coach P.J. Fleck has this team ahead of schedule, conference play could prove to be a big test for the Gophers.

Go Gophers!!

Firm grasp of the obvious...

Ohio State beat Wisconsin and Michigan last year...until proven otherwise head-to-head, I would assume they are still better.

I apply same logic to Minnesota with Maryland and Purdue.

I apply different logic to Minnesota with Nebraska and Iowa.

Stanley was in our back yard. He can sling it a little bit. Iowa defense not as good as it was.

So the homer analysis. ����

This ranking baffles me. Right now, psu, and sconnie are tops in the b1g along with Michigan. Ohio st is a clear 4th.

I don't think it's ludicrous to take Ohio State over Wisconsin on a neutral field - more talent up and down the roster. And the Buckeyes would 100% be favored in that hypothetical match up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom