We'll know a lot more after the Maryland game...

Cobra

former west banker
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to the home game against Maryland as a true litmus test.
Maryland looks legit after smashing Texas in Austin, and Towson at home.
They play UCF at home next week after UCF had 2 games cancelled due to weather, so there's not a lot of data on how much of a test UCF presents to the Terps.

I'm really looking forward to the home game against Maryland as a true litmus test.
Maryland looks legit after smashing Texas in Austin, and Towson at home.
They play UCF at home next week after UCF had 2 games cancelled due to weather, so there's not a lot of data on how much of a test UCF presents to the Terps.

Let the hand wringing begin.... but yes, and damn, Maryland does look astonishingly improved. Lets see what they do this weekend...

Let the hand wringing begin.... but yes, and damn, Maryland does look astonishingly improved. Lets see what they do this weekend...

lost their starting QB, so we shall see

Well the backup put up 63 on Townson and added a few scores against Texas...

No. His team did. He threw 2 TDs.

They averaged 10.7 yards per carry. I'm going to say that his handoffs had very little to do with that.

They averaged 10.7 yards per carry. I'm going to say that his handoffs had very little to do with that.

To be fair, Hill didn't play the entire game.

Probably could have thrown 4 touchdowns the way that game was going.

I don't expect us to win this one.

With our D and running attack we are a ball control team. We win.

Maryland beat Texas who almost beat USC at USC last night.

They might be pretty good.

I hope you are right however.

I really wonder what the line will be. I think it could end up anywhere from Gophers +3.5 to Gophers -3.5. Anything outside those parameters, I think represents a pretty good betting opportunity for the underdog.

Well whatever the case, my point is that they did all that without their starting QB and their seems to be little to no drop off in their offensive productivity without him.

Definitely going to be an interesting game. There's so many questions early in the year. I mean, how many people thought PSU would win the B1G championship last year after our Gophers went in there and kicked their a$$es for much of the game, only to blow it? Nobody knows for sure how good anybody is until about 6 games into the season -- and even then, weird stuff still happens.

But yes, Mayland. Gophers haven't faced a dynamic offense yet, so I'm not sure we know how good the D really is -- especially on the back end. We have an idea the unit is very solid: LB's are really good, Richardson a beast, and the pass rush is adequate (and improving), but we don't know how good the unit truly is. I think it's safe to say Maryland will put up more points than any team we've faced yet. So 20 - 24?

Texas scored 41 on them, so can we score 27 - 30? Our OL appears to be improving each week. Can Rhoda complete enough passes to pull that extra guy out of the box?

Yes Gophers would have an opening line of -7

Maryland is not a team we should lose to at home. Let's not forget last year when everyone was nervous with a 4-1 Maryland in DC with the same quarterback. A loss would be a Huge loss and Step Back for Minnesota

Maryland is definitely improved. The schedule that looked so promising to start the BIG looks much more difficult. Maryland, Purdue and Michigan St have really played well to start the year. On the other hand, the rear of our schedule is looking lighter than it did before the season started. Northwestern and Nebraska both have losses that weren't expected. Not sure how it is all gong to play out, but I have posted 9-3 all over the place, so I am sticking with that.

Yes Gophers would have an opening line of -7

Maryland is not a team we should lose to at home. Let's not forget last year when everyone was nervous with a 4-1 Maryland in DC with the same quarterback. A loss would be a Huge loss and Step Back for Minnesota

There's no way we'll be -7 unless UCF smokes Maryland next week.

And what same QB? Perry Hills was the QB that led Maryland to 4-1 last year, then he got hurt. Pigrome made his first start against us as a true Freshman and was bad. He looked like he improved a ton against Texas but is now out for the year, and Kasim Hill is the starting QB. He's also a true freshman but was a 4* and the 10th best QB in the country coming out of high school.

Maryland is definitely improved. The schedule that looked so promising to start the BIG looks much more difficult. Maryland, Purdue and Michigan St have really played well to start the year. On the other hand, the rear of our schedule is looking lighter than it did before the season started. Northwestern and Nebraska both have losses that weren't expected. Not sure how it is all gong to play out, but I have posted 9-3 all over the place, so I am sticking with that.

Agreed.

Things are more interesting than initially expected for sure.

To those that Minnesota is going to be a home underdog vs. Maryland I'll simply remind you that in the preseason the line was Minnesota -10.

Sure Maryland had played well but we also have played well the last two games, especially on defense. Even if Maryland blows out UCF the Gophers are -3 or -4, with it more likely to be in the -5 to -7 range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would guess the line will be Gophers by 1 with it being a home game.
If we were on the road, it would be Maryland by 2.

I think their win over TX is probably the most impressive Big Ten win so far, is it not?

Maryland is definitely improved. The schedule that looked so promising to start the BIG looks much more difficult.

So now people are starting to backtrack on the stone cold lead pipe lock that the Gophers would be undefeated going into Iowa City. Gee, maybe the people tempering expectations going into the season knew what they were talking about....

We beat Maryland by 14+. Forget Buffalo. Forget it.

So now people are starting to backtrack on the stone cold lead pipe lock that the Gophers would be undefeated going into Iowa City. Gee, maybe the people tempering expectations going into the season knew what they were talking about....

Yeah- you foresaw MD beating TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? You don't expect the Gophers to win at home as favorites against a lower tier B10 team? C'mon man.

DJ Durkin is in his second year and is doing an incredible job at Maryland. His recruiting has been Top Tier in the Big 10. His first recruiting class (2017) was Top 25 in the country and near the Top in the BIG and 2018 is shaping up to be the same. This has already started showing on the field. I think they are setting up for a big year in his third season. They are definitely trending up.

DJ Durkin is in his second year and is doing an incredible job at Maryland. His recruiting has been Top Tier in the Big 10. His first recruiting class (2017) was Top 25 in the country and near the Top in the BIG and 2018 is shaping up to be the same. This has already started showing on the field. I think they are setting up for a big year in his third season. They are definitely trending up.

This is Gopher Hole, where no teams get better except us... except for all the times we've seen that not to be true...

We are going into a deep Gopher hole if people think that a win over Maryland is assured. Really, this applies to the rest of the B1G season.

Let'd get to the top half of B1G play, and then we will have an idea how the Gophers will do the rest of the season.

You mean all the ones that predicted a loss to OSU. It's all in the predict the score thread.

Kasim Hill is a really talented qb but he's still a true freshman. I believe Maryland caught Texas napping a little bit defensively and looks like they were lit up early and things went sideways from there. Momentum? Talent has never been the problem for Texas. They brought the wood vs USC with good intensity.

Ty Johnson is very dangerous at RB. Kasim Hill is a good runner. Unknown is whether Maryland's defense is above or below average. They haven't been great in recent years.

The offense will have to open it up a little bit. Rhoda will have to dust off those wheels of his. The defense will need to contain Hill and try to force some mistakes and keep them to field goals. Our first real test of the year. PJ will have the guys keyed up for this one.

Well the backup put up 63 on Townson and added a few scores against Texas...

That score is irrelevant, Towson is like a community college.

Maryland is getting more talented, but that talent is young and I question whether they can win in the trenches against us any more than they did (or didn't) last year.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we blew them out, and also wouldn't be surprised if they pulled off the upset.

Not happy that the lame 11 am start robs some of the home field advantage... Atmosphere at TCF might be as non-threatening as Maryland was last year.

Prior to the season, I think just about everyone figured the Maryland and Purdue games were sure-fire wins for the Gophers. Thus far, both the Terps and the Boilers have been the biggest surprises of the young season, with Nebraska and Northwestern (previously thought to be more in the loss column for the Gophers) being the biggest disappointments. If we get past both Maryland and Purdue unscathed, that would be a HUGE boost for our team going into IOWA. Right now, the Maryland game seems more winnable that PU simply because it's a home game. Maryland is definitely NOT the same team that we beat last year on the road. Go Gophers!

Top Bottom