Rick Pitino says Adam Silver, NBA will soon allow players to go pro out of HS

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Rick Pitino says major change could be coming to the NBA and to college basketball by 2019.

Pitino spoke with Marty Smith of ESPN, and in a video posted Friday, Pitino gave his opinion on the one-and-done nature of college basketball in addition the rule change he thinks NBA commissioner Adam Silver will catalyze in the coming two years.

"I don't mind it, Pitino said of the current NBA setup that induces one-and-done culture. "I'm looking for my first one-and-done. I've had top-10 picks, top-20 picks, I'm waiting. I don't mind it. John Calipari and Coach K have mastered it, certainly. It's tough to play with freshmen. They have so much to learn at the defensive end. When I was at Kentucky I had seven high school basketball players told me they were coming, and instead they went to the pros out of high school. And by the way, I think that rule's going to change back to that. I think high school players are going to be able to go pro again."

When Smith asked Pitino when, he replied, "I think the commissioner's probably going to do it within two years."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...n-allow-players-to-go-pro-out-of-high-school/

Go Gophers!!

per CBS:

Rick Pitino says major change could be coming to the NBA and to college basketball by 2019.

Pitino spoke with Marty Smith of ESPN, and in a video posted Friday, Pitino gave his opinion on the one-and-done nature of college basketball in addition the rule change he thinks NBA commissioner Adam Silver will catalyze in the coming two years.

"I don't mind it, Pitino said of the current NBA setup that induces one-and-done culture. "I'm looking for my first one-and-done. I've had top-10 picks, top-20 picks, I'm waiting. I don't mind it. John Calipari and Coach K have mastered it, certainly. It's tough to play with freshmen. They have so much to learn at the defensive end. When I was at Kentucky I had seven high school basketball players told me they were coming, and instead they went to the pros out of high school. And by the way, I think that rule's going to change back to that. I think high school players are going to be able to go pro again."

When Smith asked Pitino when, he replied, "I think the commissioner's probably going to do it within two years."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...n-allow-players-to-go-pro-out-of-high-school/

Go Gophers!!

The baseball draft model for the NBA is the best model.

Adam Silver wants to increase the age limit, not lower it. He can't though because of the players association.

Maybe, but the two leagues' drafts are structured differently. MLB has 40 rounds, while the NBA only has 2, which means there are a lot more chances to mitigate a first round high school swing and miss in baseball; if you draft a high schooler in the NBA and they elect to go to college and you lose their rights, that sets your franchise back years. There would need to be compensatory picks in place to cover these issues, but I don't see NBA owners trusting themselves enough to take on that risk.

Coach Cal got UMASS to the final four. I think he will be just fine

I was just poking fun at Coach One and Done a little. You have to admit though that this would change the recruiting dynamic if his players are forced to attend more than one semester of school.

I'm all for it. They can go into the military at 18, why can't they play basketball? I think it hurts college ball a little bit, but it improves its integrity. As someone alluded to before, I'm all for the baseball model. These HS players wouldn't have to "declare" for the draft, it would be on the teams to take the risk. So if a player goes in the 2nd round or undrafted, the player can go to college. But they cant come out for 3 years. I think its a great solution.

Agreed. Let them go to the NBA out of high school, but mandate a 2/3 year college stay should they choose to go that route.

The NBA draft is likely to expand to a 3rd round (due to the proliferation of the G-League) and this would be helpful as well.

Agreed. Let them go to the NBA out of high school, but mandate a 2/3 year college stay should they choose to go that route.

The NBA draft is likely to expand to a 3rd round (due to the proliferation of the G-League) and this would be helpful as well.

While I agree with all of this, isn't the issue that the NBA doesn't have a farm system? I would think the opportunity to draft a high potential player would be too tempting to pass up, even if they aren't able to contribute immediately. I see your mention of the G-League, but is that really the place to send a player who needs actual development? No offense to Tyus (I think he's great), but he looked like Magic Johnson in the G-League and he's certainly not all-world.

I'm all for it. They can go into the military at 18, why can't they play basketball?

They can. Europe, Asia... Maybe even go play with Royce White in Canada.

The NBA doesn't need more Ndudi Ebi's. I would be all for a 3rd round for HS graduates. Have them in a development league where they still have to prove it before they earn 1st round money.

Top Bottom