Gophers dominate Middle Tennessee, but injuries could cloud victory - Strib

Iceland12

Reaction score
With starting running back Shannon Brooks dressed but sitting out because of a shoulder injury, the Gophers lost their other starting running back, Rodney Smith, who rushed for 107 yards in the first half but took a big hit on his final carry. Smith looked woozy, was treated on the sideline and didn't play in the second half.

Coach P.J. Fleck said Smith got "dinged'' and wasn't sure how long he would be out.

That left Kobe McCrary to carry the load, and the senior rushed 23 times for 107 yards and three touchdowns as the Gophers pulled away in the second half.

"Kobe knew he'd probably get a few more carries, but then he became the feature back,'' Fleck said. "I loved how he ran.''

Middle Tennessee (1-2) certainly wasn't sympathetic to the Gophers injuries. First, the Blue Raiders had to play without standout quarterback Brent Stockstill, a third-year starter who suffered a cracked sternum and had his collarbone separated from his sternum last week at Syracuse and was ruled out during Saturday's pregame drills.

Then the Blue Raiders lost their best playmaker, receiver Richie James, to an ankle injury in the first quarter. James, who surpassed 100 receptions in each of the past two seasons, returned briefly but was limited to one catch for minus-2 yards and two rushes for 25 yards.

Meanwhile, Minnesota's defense was impressive for the third consecutive game. The Gophers got two interceptions, including one that Jacob Huff returned 67 yards for a touchdown. Minnesota has given up only 24 points this season and has shut out the opposition in all three second halves.

"Our defense created a lot of energy and purpose,'' Fleck said. "They were flying around everywhere.''..

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...but-injuries-could-cloud-victory/444900603/#1

Stockstill had a "cracked sternum" and "collarbone separated from sternum."

I winced when I read that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stockstill had a "cracked sternum" and "collarbone separated from sternum."

I winced when I read that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made be re-read it twice.

Can't believe that they didn't "rule him out" to play before today.

Top Bottom