Pioneer Press: PJ Fleck doesn’t believe in momentum, but Jacob Huff’s play was huge

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck doesn’t believe in the theory of momentum in football games, with an example being safety Jacob Huff’s 67-yard interception return for the touchdown that took the Gophers’ from a 13-3 lead to 20-3 in an eventual 34-3 blowout of Middle Tennessee State on Saturday.

That was just an example of good defense and a “phenomenal play by Huff,” he explained.

“This thing momentum kind of exists in the air,” Fleck said. “It’s kind of a made-up word that is an excuse for something. But what I will say (what Huff’s play) did was it made the defense make a play when we needed to make a play.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/16/reason-why-gophers-shannon-brooks-rubbed-stomach-after-scores/

Go Gophers!!

Well in my book when someone makes a "phenomenal play" like Huff did, you can suck out the sails somewhat to the other team and they don't feel so good. Momentum has shifted somewhat or whatever you want to call it.

Well in my book when someone makes a "phenomenal play" like Huff did, you can suck out the sails somewhat to the other team and they don't feel so good. Momentum has shifted somewhat or whatever you want to call it.

Instead of momentum, it could be motivation or will. The interception took away most of MTSU's motivation or will to win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

per Greder:

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck doesn’t believe in the theory of momentum in football games, with an example being safety Jacob Huff’s 67-yard interception return for the touchdown that took the Gophers’ from a 13-3 lead to 20-3 in an eventual 34-3 blowout of Middle Tennessee State on Saturday.

That was just an example of good defense and a “phenomenal play by Huff,” he explained.

“This thing momentum kind of exists in the air,” Fleck said. “It’s kind of a made-up word that is an excuse for something. But what I will say (what Huff’s play) did was it made the defense make a play when we needed to make a play.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/16/reason-why-gophers-shannon-brooks-rubbed-stomach-after-scores/

Go Gophers!!

The irony. Momentum is not only real, it's a spectacular phenomenon,

I would suggest you read this post, and then read the seminal paper it refers to:

http://freakonomics.com/2011/11/20/football-freakonomics-is-momentum-a-myth-2/

That doesn't really prove much. When I think of momentum I think of things like confidence, doubt, motivation. For example, Mitch Leidner had an atrocious career record vs Wisconsin, particularly later in games. I would call that an example of negative momentum. He was in his own head and it fed on itself. Doubt begat more doubt and desperation leading to horrific play.

There are plenty of examples of positive and negative momentum which is a proxy for state of mind. I suppose PJ can disavow it but I'm a believer.

Coach Fleck said they practice on how "momentum" doesn't exist.

I think it's something he must be training them on so when something goes wrong, they don't think "Crap, more bad stuff is going to happen".

As mentioned above, it's a state of mind or state of will and you control it.

That doesn't really prove much. When I think of momentum I think of things like confidence, doubt, motivation. For example, Mitch Leidner had an atrocious career record vs Wisconsin, particularly later in games. I would call that an example of negative momentum. He was in his own head and it fed on itself. Doubt begat more doubt and desperation leading to horrific play.

There are plenty of examples of positive and negative momentum which is a proxy for state of mind. I suppose PJ can disavow it but I'm a believer.

So, you read the paper they linked to, right?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

So, you read the paper they linked to, right?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

I read the abstract and immediately knew they were looking at the wrong thing. It's hard to qualify psychological phenomena.

Let me ask you this - does a team winning or losing have any effect on fan pyschological state. Does the average fan feel better or worse about the future prospects of the team based on the most recent game? Does losing or winning affect recruiting, ticket sales, "buzz". Are you more or less motivated to pay $ for the next game. Is this a form of "momentum"? Recruiting momentum, program momentum. It's a state of mind, not just limited to quantifiable results (although I believe there are instances).

I watched OSU quit on Gary Anderson late in the game last week. Another example of negative momentum.

I read the abstract and immediately knew they were looking at the wrong thing.

You read the title and decided that it did not square with your pre-conceived belief.

Motivation does not equal momentum.
An individual hitting an unusual number of shots in a row is not a result of momentum.
Getting a turnover after a scoring play is not the result of momentum.
A player (or players) quitting on a coach or coaching staff is not the result of momentum. Their individual performances may have a deleterious effect on the team, but "momentum" is not the reason.

When I made 3 birdies, and 2 eagles in 6 holes, I did not have "The Big Mo", it was an unusual result, and for me, not likely repeated, no matter what my state of mind, hours of practice nor the encouragement of my playing partners. I shot 2 over for the round...Damn momentum must have shifted.

Saying a big play gave a team momentum discredits everything that happened after the big play. Because apparently it was a result of momentum, not of the hard work the players put in on those next plays.

I think we are disagreeing on what psychological momentum means. State of mind is not a quantifiable number or streak. It applies to a great many situations.

So perhaps we're both right based on our definition. Agree to disagree.

Top Bottom