Strangely quiet...

Some math. through 3 games, Gophers offense has run 156 running plays - avg of 52 per game, and 58 pass attempts - avg of 17 a game.

I will note that the Gophers attempted 32 passes against Buffalo. (that actually surprised me when I checked. didn't remember that many passes.) But, in the last two games, Gophers have attempted 26 passes - 13 per game.

And - quoting from Josh: but once we get a more dynamic QB that will shoot up.

No offense, but how long have we heard the same thing for Gopher FB? "Once we land that big-time QB, everything will be different." It's like me saying, "once I win the lottery, I'll have more money." It sounds great in principle, but turning into a reality has proven elusive. Maybe Fleck will be able to bring an actual big-time QB to the U of MN. If he does, I'll be happy. Key word in that sentence being "if." Until it happens, it hasn't happened yet.

No offense, but how long have we heard the same thing for Gopher FB? "Once we land that big-time QB, everything will be different." It's like me saying, "once I win the lottery, I'll have more money." It sounds great in principle, but turning into a reality has proven elusive. Maybe Fleck will be able to bring an actual big-time QB to the U of MN. If he does, I'll be happy. Key word in that sentence being "if." Until it happens, it hasn't happened yet.

I don't believe you need a Peyton Manning for it to shoot up. Honestly, I believe Morgan and/or Armstrong could be the guy to take this offense to the next level.

Some math. through 3 games, Gophers offense has run 156 running plays - avg of 52 per game, and 58 pass attempts - avg of 17 a game.

I will note that the Gophers attempted 32 passes against Buffalo. (that actually surprised me when I checked. didn't remember that many passes.) But, in the last two games, Gophers have attempted 26 passes - 13 per game.

And - quoting from Josh: but once we get a more dynamic QB that will shoot up.

Won't really take much to be more dynamic...imagine Adam Weber with this team. I'm no Weber fan, but got to think he would be more dynamic than Rhoda.

Adam Weber could win the West with this coaching staff. "Curb-Stopping" Phil Nelson also probably could have won big here. For the life of me, I can't understand why the Kill/Claeys regime had such a problem/blind spot with the QB position. They were so elite in so many other facets but with the most important position in all of sports, they were absolutely incompetent.

Adam Weber could win the West with this coaching staff. "Curb-Stopping" Phil Nelson also probably could have won big here. For the life of me, I can't understand why the Kill/Claeys regime had such a problem/blind spot with the QB position. They were so elite in so many other facets but with the most important position in all of sports, they were absolutely incompetent.

Wasn't really an issue until getting to a bigtime program. Seemed to develop QBs just fine before here.

I wonder if it's an attitude thing. QB's need to be confident, if not in some cases arrogant. If a coach finds a player that isn't in their mold attitude-wise, they'll be happy to chop him off at the knees and go with a player who they get along with better.

The way they handled QB's alone seems to be evidence enough that we were never going to do better with them than we did last year.

I wonder if it's an attitude thing. QB's need to be confident, if not in some cases arrogant. If a coach finds a player that isn't in their mold attitude-wise, they'll be happy to chop him off at the knees and go with a player who they get along with better.

The way they handled QB's alone seems to be evidence enough that we were never going to do better with them than we did last year.

See post #37

I was just looking at Corey Davis' career stats at WMU. He only had 3 rushing attempts in 4 years. So, in other words, Fleck most likely doesn't like to run the slow developing reverses that quite often end up losing 5 yards. Good. I noted in another thread that the Gophers lead the nation so far for fewest negative plays on offense. I get the impression that Fleck's offense is fairly conservative, but he'll take a few shots downfield if they are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really. Go back and look, unless the trolls, whiners and haters have something to complain about the board is oddly kind of quiet after a victory. Unless they can try and downgrade that victory.

Boy, but after a loss, just watch them go.

Sleep well tonight Bild. It was a pretty fine day.

Holy crap were you right on!

Had a couple of sleepless weeks but am sleeping well again.

Also whined as good as anyone but am past it. Had hoped we could avoid starting over but agree with many that it was probably inevitable.

Hoping for the W on Saturday.

The question is this: are they going with a run-heavy offense because of tactical reasons - OR are they going with a run-heavy offense because they think that's all the QB's can handle?

I was hoping to learn a little more about Fleck's offensive tendencies during the non-conference games.

The unanswered question - what is this offense capable of? is this the way the offense is going to look all year, or is there more to come? If the team falls behind, can they win a game with the pass as the primary offensive weapon, instead of the running game? Can Rhoda be the man if he has to throw the ball 25-30 times a game, as opposed to 10 times a game?

Look - I'm not predicting doom and gloom. I'm genuinely curious.

The Croft situation makes the outlook more muddy. If Rhoda cannot get it done as QB, then what?

I think the Maryland game is going to be very interesting. hopefully we get some more answers.

As it turned out, these were prescient questions, more important now than when they were made. MSU will be a kind of second MD.

Top Bottom