Robb Smith Appreciation Thread

They don't in reality but just a barometer of how last years d did that had no more talent in the front 7 than this year.

However, the accumulation of a whopping 5 sacks in 4 games, of which 3 games were of vastly inferior talent, says volumes about a potential problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to mention that we are mishandling CC45's significant talent by playing him out of position.

Not to mention that we are mishandling CC45's significant talent by playing him out of position.

I'm sorry, I thought that I was stupid for saying that Smith doesn't know how to use our personnel.

It will be interesting to see how things go on defense. The previous staff had given up on the ability to recruit enough DL talent to play a 4-3 front and were openly moving to the Wisconsin model. Now Fleck wants to go back the other direction. Can he get enough talent up front to be successful? We'll see in 2-3 years.

It will be interesting to see how things go on defense. The previous staff had given up on the ability to recruit enough DL talent to play a 4-3 front and were openly moving to the Wisconsin model. Now Fleck wants to go back the other direction. Can he get enough talent up front to be successful? We'll see in 2-3 years.

According to TC, and other coaches I've heard talented DL players are super hard to come by crooting wise. There just aren't that many volume wise compared to the number of teams and the moment a guy looks good the biggest teams pounce on them.

Good LBs are apparently easier to come buy and coach up.

We'll see how that plays out.

I'm sorry, I thought that I was stupid for saying that Smith doesn't know how to use our personnel.

Not sure I am following you. I certainly don't recall saying that. In fact, I have been critical of the CC45 move for months - often at the result of being educated on here about how little I know and something about watching his Jr tape to see why.

I agree. Sometimes it seems like new coaches change things simply to justify their hiring. Not saying P.J. did that, but I do wonder if and how soon they’d be willing to change things up to a 3-4 if they felt they couldn’t effectively recruit it.

On a broader note, I wonder if new coaches learn from previous staffs generally. One would think it could benefit the new coach if they in some instances (in this case the defense) just build off the previous staffs learned lessons.

Bump...

Now that the season is over, the first page is golden for comedy.

I understand that, but people were more worried about the offense and were ridiculed by saying such "outlandish" things. Now we start next year with a string of 8 scoreless quarters.

I understand that, but people were more worried about the offense and were ridiculed by saying such "outlandish" things. Now we start next year with a string of 8 scoreless quarters.

The really sad thing about today's debacle is that no one will want Smith as a DC. As I have stated previously, when you play your corners 8 to 10 off, and the safeties at 14, you are playing 8 against 11 at the LOS. Against some teams, that might work but not against Becky with their renown offensive line. Just a poor, poor game plan going in. But then our offense tried 29 times to run the ball between the tackles. Against a top rated defense, sad.

The Gophers offense has been one of the worst in the country yet people are going to blame Robb Smith? Maybe you should check out how Sawvel destroyed Wake Forest's top 25 defense while inheriting nearly all upperclassmen.

The Gophers offense has been one of the worst in the country yet people are going to blame Robb Smith? Maybe you should check out how Sawvel destroyed Wake Forest's top 25 defense while inheriting nearly all upperclassmen.

Love how you bring up Sawvel.

Year Zero at Wake.

It’s only Sawvel’s first year at Wake. He needs time to bring in his own recruits. It’s way different for Robb Smith.

The really sad thing about today's debacle is that no one will want Smith as a DC. As I have stated previously, when you play your corners 8 to 10 off, and the safeties at 14, you are playing 8 against 11 at the LOS. Against some teams, that might work but not against Becky with their renown offensive line. Just a poor, poor game plan going in. But then our offense tried 29 times to run the ball between the tackles. Against a top rated defense, sad.

Why complain about the D when the O, and specifically the passing game, is the obvious issue? Rob Smith's D performed just as well as last year's D with a much crappier offense providing less support and a much more inexperienced secondary.

I actually thought the defense played pretty well considering the offense gave them nothing.

Why complain about the D when the O, and specifically the passing game, is the obvious issue? Rob Smith's D performed just as well as last year's D with a much crappier offense providing less support and a much more inexperienced secondary.

Maybe this will make you feel better about the future. :rolleyes:(I posted this in another thread.)

He's been a DC 3 times: Maine 2006-08, Rutgers 2012, Arkansas 2014-16

Scoring Defense:
Maine ppg: '06=11.1 '07=20.7 '08=21.1 GOT WORSE every year

Arkansas ppg: '14= 19.2 (10/128) '15= 27.4 (68/128) '16= 31.1 (85/128) GOT WORSE every year

Now, there are other factors that go into scoring defense such as offensive turnovers in minus field position, lack of a decent O, strength of opposiiton etc. However, I think there is more than enough concern from the above stats, we have a legitimate reason to worry this could be as good as it gets with him!!!!!

Maybe this will make you feel better about the future. :rolleyes:(I posted this in another thread.)

He's been a DC 3 times: Maine 2006-08, Rutgers 2012, Arkansas 2014-16

Scoring Defense:
Maine ppg: '06=11.1 '07=20.7 '08=21.1 GOT WORSE every year

Arkansas ppg: '14= 19.2 (10/128) '15= 27.4 (68/128) '16= 31.1 (85/128) GOT WORSE every year

Now, there are other factors that go into scoring defense such as offensive turnovers in minus field position, lack of a decent O, strength of opposiiton etc. However, I think there is more than enough concern from the above stats, we have a legitimate reason to worry this could be as good as it gets with him!!!!!

This guy scares the hell out of me every time you post this.

Hey PJ, with all the changes in staffs throughout the nation, please find a new DC, please.

Do you no what scare the hell out me?

1. The string of the DC's D's getting worse in year 2 (err...I mean year 1) of his tenure (end then 3 etc.)
2. OC having his own string of 8 consecutive quarters of goose eggs.

This exactly. All game long I was like, oh it's 3rd and 8 and they have the DBs playing 15...here comes a quick slant or in route for a first down.

Yup...

2016 yds per game: 348
2017 yds per game: 336

Bring back that vaunted defense of yester-year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last years defense was _however_ way more fun to watch.

...and last years defense seemed to get better as the year went along as they adjusted to the 3-4.
Sometimes last years defense got beat, but they made you make plays, they didn’t just sit back and let you comfortably do what you do.

For those of you that turn every criticism to a comparison to last year, I wasn't a Sawvel DC fan either. I was impressed by the WSU game, however. I am a Sawvel fan as a secondary coach and ST coord. In fact, I didn't really like how TC played vanilla for a quarter, or so, before he felt as though he could then start to attack and exploit weakness...attempt to do it from the get go.

Maryland, Northwestern?

Yeah. Depends on the game. Compare last years rutgers to this year Maryland. Just as frustrating (defensively).

Depends on the game means = some games last year was better to watch. Some games this year was better to watch. On the whole, they’re about the same the difference being this year we had a bottom 20 offense in all of college football to go along with an average defense.

Top Bottom