Robb Smith Appreciation Thread

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
I know he inherited a very good defense, and we didn't have to face Stockstill today - but zero points against in the second half all year, 8 ppg against average, and the defense looks really ready to take on teams thus far.

Time will tell how it holds up in the conference season but I really like what I see so far. Kudos to coach Smith for the job he's done in the non conference.

With so much inexperience on this team, I'm impressed.

I like the strong 2nd half showing that we have done this year.

Defense has been great. Far fewer penalties as well.

This was where I thought we'd fall off, but it's great to see them show up.

I just saw that 3 points are the fewest ever allowed at TCF Bank Stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The opposition has yet to gain 100 yards in the second half.

There were a lot of open receivers for the opposition today. My hunch is the conference season may be tough especially if the offense can't sustain drives.

I'm still far more concerned with the offense than the defense; though the defense will have problems against a very good throwing team, especially if they have a dual-threat QB.

I'm still far more concerned with the offense than the defense; though the defense will have problems against a very good throwing team, especially if they have a dual-threat QB.

Thanks for the negative truly Minnesotan-like post in a positive thread. Always one. Or twenty.

Lets have this thread after the Maryland game. He is still coaching a system that is not meant for his players, and his guys have not been forced onto the field in bad situations. I still think he's an awesome defensive coordinator, but I don't want people turning on him when things go south. It could take a couple years for his defense to really look the way it should.

Won't most teams? :rolleyes:

Won't most teams? :rolleyes:

I'm not really sure what he's seeing. Our defense did get gashed by their QB a couple of times tonight, but that's because Smith was letting the guys get more downfield than usual.
What's really killing me is these coverage busts we keep seeing. They had one guy wide open on the under leading to a 15 yard gain on what should have been a 5 yard hit at most. Or the couple of times our corners just got straight up beat. That is not something I'm used to seeing after Claey's defenses.
I'm slightly worried that Maryland is going to see those on tape and just straight up attack our corners.

Lets have this thread after the Maryland game. He is still coaching a system that is not meant for his players, and his guys have not been forced onto the field in bad situations. I still think he's an awesome defensive coordinator, but I don't want people turning on him when things go south. It could take a couple years for his defense to really look the way it should.

This is why. They looked awful today. He is trying to use linebackers to set edges against a big 10 team. It's going to take at least a season.

This is why. They looked awful today. He is trying to use linebackers to set edges against a big 10 team. It's going to take at least a season.

Rob Smith better start watching video of the Holiday Bowl and start playing more high pressure, unpredictable defense. He is trying to play static Iowa style prevent defense it sucks. Our defense if predictable and stale already.

It definitely would have been nice to have Elmore today. Too often Dellatiboudere or Coughlin went way too wide on the outside allowing for a huge hole between the OT and OG. Elmore would have definitely compressed a lot of those holes I believe. Right now we just don't have enough quality DE's to set the edge so we have to play our more talented LB's there.

Rob Smith better start watching video of the Holiday Bowl and start playing more high pressure, unpredictable defense. He is trying to play static Iowa style prevent defense it sucks. Our defense if predictable and stale already.

He should definitely avoid video of the Rutgers and Purdue games from last year, though!

37 sacks last year.
5 through 4 games this year.
But hey, all the players put their fist up on 4th down. That's what matters.

If it makes anyone feel better Jay Sawvells defense gave up a long game winning TD pass vs Florida State tonight.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

37 sacks last year.
5 through 4 games this year.
But hey, all the players put their fist up on 4th down. That's what matters.

What does them putting fist up in the air on 4th down have to with them getting sacks? Think you posted more today than you have the other three wins combined. Are you happy they lost?

It definitely would have been nice to have Elmore today. Too often Dellatiboudere or Coughlin went way too wide on the outside allowing for a huge hole between the OT and OG. Elmore would have definitely compressed a lot of those holes I believe. Right now we just don't have enough quality DE's to set the edge so we have to play our more talented LB's there.

Not sure what happened today regarding the safeties but Derek Burns mentioned this issue with the old staff with their wide 9 ends and how the safeties were important to come down and fill the natural gaps that would form. Lots of interconnected moving parts. Losing McGhee and Winfield can't help.

If it makes anyone feel better Jay Sawvells defense gave up a long game winning TD pass vs Florida State tonight.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

We gave up a 20 yard run on a giant hole up the middle, pretty sure that's worse.

What does them putting fist up in the air on 4th down have to with them getting sacks? Think you posted more today than you have the other three wins combined. Are you happy they lost?
No, I'm not happy they lost. Thanks for keeping track of my post frequency. Might want to check your math though. They had a great opportunity to make a statement and build some momentum and start filling the stadium (a reason given as to why Fleck was hired), but they pissed that away by being out coached from beginning to end.

Hate to tell you but this is exactly what Robb Smith's defense is.

How do sack numbers from last year matter?

They don't in reality but just a barometer of how last years d did that had no more talent in the front 7 than this year.

However, the accumulation of a whopping 5 sacks in 4 games, of which 3 games were of vastly inferior talent, says volumes about a potential problem

Top Bottom