Congrats Gophers

MTRaider

Reaction score
It's a shame you guys didn't get to see Stockstill. It looks like the O-line has fixed its pass protection issues and you would have seen a very different offense with Brent behind center. And certainly a better test for conference play. Brent suffered a separated rib early in the 4th qtr last week so playing would simply have been too dangerous. Obviously, he didn't tell the medical staff and coaches last week how bad it was.

Not much of a chance with us having our two best players on the sideline and not being able to pick up first downs and give the defense a rest. That's the biggest killer is not being able to sustain at least a drive or two. Pretty much what I expected as I mentioned in the other thread.

Good luck in the Big 10. You guys have an absolutely wonderful coach. Fleck is awesome and will do great things for y'all there.

Thanks for the nice comments. I was thinking in the 2nd quarter too that this would be a closer game if Stockstill were healthy but it is what it is. The talent is there, hopefully you guys go on and win the C-USA. Good luck this year. We'll get you back on the basketball court one day :)

It's a shame you guys didn't get to see Stockstill. It looks like the O-line has fixed its pass protection issues and you would have seen a very different offense with Brent behind center. And certainly a better test for conference play. Brent suffered a separated rib early in the 4th qtr last week so playing would simply have been too dangerous. Obviously, he didn't tell the medical staff and coaches last week how bad it was.

Not much of a chance with us having our two best players on the sideline and not being able to pick up first downs and give the defense a rest. That's the biggest killer is not being able to sustain at least a drive or two. Pretty much what I expected as I mentioned in the other thread.

Good luck in the Big 10. You guys have an absolutely wonderful coach. Fleck is awesome and will do great things for y'all there.

You could argue Minnesota had its two best players on the sideline for most of this too, but it just shows the difference in depth between the Big Ten and Conference USA

Big difference between the QB and a running back being out. BTW, that #22 is a beast. He looked better than the starter.

Regardless of who played QB for MTSU, that defense isn't very good.

I wish Stockstill and James had played. Would have been more fun.

Regardless of who played QB for MTSU, that defense isn't very good.

I wish Stockstill and James had played. Would have been more fun.

Well, it's not great but I think good enough if we are full strength. Held you guys to fewer yards than the first two opponents. The difference. Only 11 first downs for our offense. If we aren't moving the chains the defense is on the field too much and giving the offense shorter fields to work with. With Brent it's a 27-24 type game. Most of you probably won't accept that, but that's fine. It doesn't matter anyway. We can't litigate the outcome based on what might have been.

All the best to you guys and thanks again for letting me come on and converse with you guys. Cheers.

Stockstill didn't exactly light up Vandy. A hot shot QB from San Jose State. Came in and we shut him down. Pure conjecture on your part.

Thank you for posting and contributing to the discussion.

Best wishes to you and to your team for this season.

That's why you have to play the game with who is healthy.

Injuries can't be an excuse when they are part of the game. If you're team is inferior, you get injured more.

Beating Syracuse came at a cost and that was evident this week.

Thanks good luck rest season

Stockstill didn't exactly light up Vandy. A hot shot QB from San Jose State. Came in and we shut him down. Pure conjecture on your part.

He literally got hit almost every time he threw a pass against Vandy and was sacked five or six times. Vandy's D-Line is better than y'alls. Sorry just telling it like it is. In fact, that's the best DL we've faced since Bama two years ago. Plus, we resolved the pass protection issues against Syracuse. Y'all got no sacks today against the first time OL. Brent doesn't have bad games so given the OL is finally starting to come together we would have put up points today. That's not conjecture. There is pretty strong evidence to back that up. As I mentioned earlier this week our OL vs the DL would determine the outcome, but that was under the premise Brent would play. Again, you guys get zero sacks against our deer in the headlights backup and really didn't put a lot of pressure on him. He's just not that good. I actually thought the 3rd string kid looked better.

But like the other poster said injuries are part of the game and we got whooped today because our offense sucked.

Thank you for posting and contributing to the discussion.

Best wishes to you and to your team for this season.

Thank you. Really appreciate it. I think we will be ok if we can get Brent back before the conference starts. Will be pulling for you guys the rest of the way.

Good luck. I was hoping mts would have more fans there. Great day and venue. Both qbs on your side took a beating. Your #2 throws a nice ball.

Can I nominate this for passive aggressive post of the year?

I can recall many recent games where the Gophers D was supposed to get shredded by a hot shot QB. It never seems to work out that way. Ask Washington State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I nominate this for passive aggressive post of the year?

As a Minnesota fan, and perhaps a native Minnesotan, you should know that we would probably beat Middle Tennessee in a passive agression contest, by something like 34-3.

Thanks for the update and the compliments. I felt very badly that your QB couldn't play - it changed the game. Incidentally, for years, I used to drive through your neck of the woods - nice country, good folks. You have a good program and will win your share!

Sounds similar to when we lost Nate Mason and Akeem Springs to injuries for the NCAA tournament game.

Say what you want about who was or was not on the field for either team but I felt this was our weakest opponent of the year. Our offense did a great job of stopping itself early and they could not stop the run. Smith had 100 yards in the 1st half. Saw pretty quickly that there was going to be nothing to worry about with their offense if we got on top. Biggest concern was that we would let them stay close longer than they should have been.

Why must some of us be rude to MTS Dude? Thank you for discussing the game with us and good luck the rest of the way.
Sorry we missed seeing your number 1 QB and WR.

MTSU Raider - it was great playing you, and good luck for the rest of the season.
I was really looking forward to your QB/WR combo going up against Winfield, and I think we all missed out a what could have been a really great show.

He literally got hit almost every time he threw a pass against Vandy and was sacked five or six times. Vandy's D-Line is better than y'alls. Sorry just telling it like it is. In fact, that's the best DL we've faced since Bama two years ago. Plus, we resolved the pass protection issues against Syracuse. Y'all got no sacks today against the first time OL. Brent doesn't have bad games so given the OL is finally starting to come together we would have put up points today. That's not conjecture. There is pretty strong evidence to back that up. As I mentioned earlier this week our OL vs the DL would determine the outcome, but that was under the premise Brent would play. Again, you guys get zero sacks against our deer in the headlights backup and really didn't put a lot of pressure on him. He's just not that good. I actually thought the 3rd string kid looked better.

But like the other poster said injuries are part of the game and we got whooped today because our offense sucked.
Pretty sure Steven Richardson had a sack...

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

All of you who are mad that we aren't rolling out a red carpet for MT Raider should probably read the insane propagandist garbage being posted.

If it were sane, relevant or even accurate information...sure. None of that applies.

In their mind Brent Stockstill is like Michael Vicks legs combined with Peyton Manning arms and Tim Tebows will.

They site impossible to prove points as fact and the actual facts aren't real. Acts as an insider who basically guaranteed Stockstill was playing. "Hid" the injury because they had no idea what it was.

MTRaider--take a hike. Your defense sucks and gave up 100 yards to a running back who only saw the field because of injuries...after giving up 100 yards in a single half to a different back. Don't tell me it would have been way different had they not play so much. Did the humidity in the first half wear them out so much they couldn't tackle Rodney Smith?

MTRaider,

Lifelong Gopher fan, now in my 60's. You and I agree about today's game--both fan bases were deprived of the ability to see best vs. best, and it's truly unfortunate. I agree it'd have been a down-to-the-wire affair, probably 3-4 point gap either way. Don't let the small minority of jerks here tarnish your image of the Gopher fanbase. All the best the rest of the season, and hope we can meet up again before too long.

I'd take our D-line over Vandys. I thought we got some pretty good pressure on the qb actually. Seemed like anything other than the quick hitters the QB was under pressure.

Thanks for the good wishes! I actually thought your backup QB wasn't bad. He threaded the needle well a few times and his ability to punt worked out well on that one series. I think losing the top receiver may have hurt more.

All of you who are mad that we aren't rolling out a red carpet for MT Raider should probably read the insane propagandist garbage being posted.

If it were sane, relevant or even accurate information...sure. None of that applies.

In their mind Brent Stockstill is like Michael Vicks legs combined with Peyton Manning arms and Tim Tebows will.

They site impossible to prove points as fact and the actual facts aren't real. Acts as an insider who basically guaranteed Stockstill was playing. "Hid" the injury because they had no idea what it was.

MTRaider--take a hike. Your defense sucks and gave up 100 yards to a running back who only saw the field because of injuries...after giving up 100 yards in a single half to a different back. Don't tell me it would have been way different had they not play so much. Did the humidity in the first half wear them out so much they couldn't tackle Rodney Smith?

My goodness, a sore winner.

It is only natural for a fan of any team to be biased in their viewpoint.

It is generally wise to treat others with respect.

We won, take a deep breath, graciousness costs nothing.

I learned a long time ago from my head coach to always respect your opponent. No matter the score.

This game could have had a different flavor and outcome if MTS had their top guns of offense. We will never know.

The Gophers should have beaten a lesser opponent like MTS that was on the field which should be expected of a BIG team

Top Bottom