Injuries

I'll never understand why you run a play there at the end of the half in that situation. That was stupid. Take a knee. You're up big and at your own 13 with 45 seconds and 1 timeout, and you end up losing Smith who gets concussed. For all the good of PJ, that was really surprising. I was very surprised at the time and was saying just take a knee before the series started. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

I'll never understand why you run a play there at the end of the half in that situation. That was stupid. Take a knee. You're up big and at your own 13 with 45 seconds and 1 timeout, and you end up losing Smith who gets concussed. For all the good of PJ, that was really surprising. I was very surprised at the time and was saying just take a knee before the series started. Oh well.

I'd say the odds of Smith breaking off a long run are better than him fumbling or getting injured. I'm okay with running a safe play to see if he breaks one. You have a chance to add points. I think only the most conservative of coaches kneel there.

I'd say the odds of Smith breaking off a long run are better than him fumbling or getting injured. I'm okay with running a safe play to see if he breaks one. You have a chance to add points. I think only the most conservative of coaches kneel there.

It isn't about probability, it is about risk/reward. The 'risk' (RS1 getting injured) is way worse than the 'reward' (breaking off a long run) is good - at that point in the game.

I disagree- you're up by 17 and have little reason to think there's a reasonable chance to get into scoring area especially without a deep passing game- take a knee and enjoy the half

I agree, run a play to see if you can break off a long run. But this is the same fanbase that would boo Kill's teams at the end of the half when they took a knee. Most want to have it both ways it seems...

Players can get injured on the 1st play of the game. Players can get injured on the last play of the game.

If you're going to base playing time and situations on the risk of injury, then let's be honest - the only absolutely sure, 100% way to avoid injury is not to play. Every time a player steps foot on the field, there is a chance of injury. Granted, some plays and situations have a higher risk of injury. But, the play on which Smith was injured was a completely routine play - one the Gophers run 40 to 50 times a game. Do you not run that play because there is a 1 in 20 or 1 in 30 or 1 in 40 chance of an injury?

when you play football, players are going to get injured.

In SW MN, a week ago Friday, in a 9-man game, a kid came up to make a tackle. everyone who saw the play said it was a completely routine play. the kid's head hit the runner's thigh. And he broke two vertebrae in his neck. He's in the hospital with paralysis from his mid-chest down. The only way to prevent that injury is not to play - or go to flag football.

If you're going to base playing time and situations on the risk of injury, then let's be honest - the only absolutely sure, 100% way to avoid injury is not to play.

If only that remained true as we get older...can pull a muscle or hurt knee while getting out of bed once you hit 50.

I'll guarantee you that half of all GH posters (the self-proclaimed high school all-American types) were upset because we didn't chuck it 40 yards downfield to try and make something happen before halftime...

I agree, run a play to see if you can break off a long run. But this is the same fanbase that would boo Kill's teams at the end of the half when they took a knee. Most want to have it both ways it seems...

exactly

If only that remained true as we get older...can pull a muscle or hurt knee while getting out of bed once you hit 50.

LOL. I threw my back out once tying my shoes. I fought through it and completed the knot tho.

LOL. I threw my back out once tying my shoes. I fought through it and completed the knot tho.

I have replaced all laces with elastic shoe laces and cord-locks...no tying, just a foot long shoe horn and on go my walking shoes.

+1

I'll guarantee you that half of all GH posters (the self-proclaimed high school all-American types) were upset because we didn't chuck it 40 yards downfield to try and make something happen before halftime...

I've never seen anyone proclaim them self a high school All-American. Oh, you mean you weren't being literal?

The vast majority of posters would undoubtedly say that if the team is up 20-3 with 45 seconds left at your own 25 (or thereabouts) you take a knee.

Under different game circumstances, e.g. more time, losing score, opponent defensive quality, etc perhaps you take some shots but that's pure conjecture.

Seemed like a lot of injuries yesterday. My hope was that there was something to what Fleck had said about the way they condition will cut down on the injuries. Maybe he meant the injuries won't happen as often during practices.

Speaking of injuries, saw something over at 247 that Sapp re-injured his knee. Very discouraging if torn ligament.

Speaking of injuries, saw something over at 247 that Sapp re-injured his knee. Very discouraging if torn ligament.

Yes. He did not play last night. I heard it was his knee, but have not heard what/how serious.

Don't know if you are serious or not but my first back symptom occurred picking up a bedspread. Ten years later, back surgery.

Getting old sucks physically.

I've never seen anyone proclaim them self a high school All-American. Oh, you mean you weren't being literal?

The vast majority of posters would undoubtedly say that if the team is up 20-3 with 45 seconds left at your own 25 (or thereabouts) you take a knee.

Under different game circumstances, e.g. more time, losing score, opponent defensive quality, etc perhaps you take some shots but that's pure conjecture.

Exactly. You have to be smart in playing the situation. If I'm not mistaken, MN also only had 1 timeout. So what are you gonna do with that time on the clock, that field position, and only 1 TO? It's like 10% or less you get points. Didn't even really need the points, as MTSU was zero threat to come back. Especially with Brooks out, as soon as I saw Rodney take the handoff I thought it was stupid. I obviously didn't know he'd get injured (I actually didn't know he did until the announcers started talking about it in the 2nd half), but I instantly thought it was stupid. Oh well. Stuff happens in football. Week off is great and hopefully enough time for Rodney to heal.

Exactly. You have to be smart in playing the situation. If I'm not mistaken, MN also only had 1 timeout. So what are you gonna do with that time on the clock, that field position, and only 1 TO? It's like 10% or less you get points. Didn't even really need the points, as MTSU was zero threat to come back. Especially with Brooks out, as soon as I saw Rodney take the handoff I thought it was stupid. I obviously didn't know he'd get injured (I actually didn't know he did until the announcers started talking about it in the 2nd half), but I instantly thought it was stupid. Oh well. Stuff happens in football. Week off is great and hopefully enough time for Rodney to heal.

I don't think there is anything wrong with running a play there. You break a nice run and the clock stops on first down, or he run out of bounds after a nice run. That's plenty of time to get into fg range in the college game. Yes we were up by 17, but doesn't hurt to be up by more. Also doesn't hurt to practice for when you do need to score in that situation. I think most coaches would have done the same thing. Definitely wasn't dumb.

Players can get injured on the 1st play of the game. Players can get injured on the last play of the game.

If you're going to base playing time and situations on the risk of injury, then let's be honest - the only absolutely sure, 100% way to avoid injury is not to play. Every time a player steps foot on the field, there is a chance of injury. Granted, some plays and situations have a higher risk of injury. But, the play on which Smith was injured was a completely routine play - one the Gophers run 40 to 50 times a game. Do you not run that play because there is a 1 in 20 or 1 in 30 or 1 in 40 chance of an injury?

when you play football, players are going to get injured.

In SW MN, a week ago Friday, in a 9-man game, a kid came up to make a tackle. everyone who saw the play said it was a completely routine play. the kid's head hit the runner's thigh. And he broke two vertebrae in his neck. He's in the hospital with paralysis from his mid-chest down. The only way to prevent that injury is not to play - or go to flag football.

Injuries are a part of football, no doubt. I think Spoofin said it the best, risk vs reward. What's the point there? Up 17 points, at home, on your own 13 yard line!!! 45 seconds left, 1 timeout. Why even take the chance???

So maybe you can break off a 40 to 50 yard run???? When everyone knows you're going to run it? All the advantage in that situation is to the defense. You could turn it over or get an injury. Are all the guys on offense even going full go there??? They know it's run a play and go to the locker room. So why even run the play? 13 yard line!!! Enjoy your damn 17 point lead and let the 45 seconds tick off!!!

Top Bottom