What is your ideal non-conference schedule for the Gophers?

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
You're the person at the U in control of setting up the schedule for 2018, 2019, and 2020 for the three non-conference games for the Gophers.
You can select any teams.

Trying to keep fan interest, coach preference, and team success in focus, who are you scheduling and why? (Feel free to use or take away the home vs home requirement most series have if it pleases you).

2018:

I would like to play Pittsburgh and Oklahoma state once Fleck turns the team into a big west contender. North Texas next year so I could go and not spend 100 dollars for an upper deck ticket like DDK is.

1. Iowa St
2. @SMU
3. Army

1. Texas
2. Vanderbilt
3. @Navy

1. UCLA
2. @Kansas
3. Army

Fun topic. For one year I'll take Eastern Michigan, @Colorado, and Air Force

Fun road trip, reasonable difficulty, and at least one total cakewalk for fun and tuneup.

I'd like to play some home & homes with some regional schools- Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, Mizzou, etc.

Am very pleased with the future series we have scheduled with Colorado, BYU, and Mississippi State.

While it's fun to play the big boys from time to time, I'd prefer to schedule a Power 5 team on our level at the moment.

My perfect non-conference schedule every year:

1. Home vs. a bad G5 school
2. Home vs. a P5 school
3. Away vs. a P5 school

I would prefer one of the P5 games to be against a school slightly above our level with tradition (think South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Tennessee, etc.) but I'm not sure how the $$$ would work.

If the end result of this was the Gophers going 4-8 or 5-7 in down years and missing a bowl I would be OK with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm biased as I'm also a Cowboys fan, but I would love to see a Minnesota-Wyoming matchup.

I didn't use your template but my wish for every year would be the same. One school from a big conference, Colorado and Mississippi State for my requirement, would love Iowa State or Missouri. I want nothing to do with Bama, Florida, etc. Not at this point. Game 2 an opponent the coaches respect. A historically solid Mountain West school, Fresno State, Nevada, SDSU. That is a game we get some credit for. Game three a MAC school. They want us, we should handle them.

I didn't use your template but my wish for every year would be the same. One school from a big conference, Colorado and Mississippi State for my requirement, would love Iowa State or Missouri. I want nothing to do with Bama, Florida, etc. Not at this point. Game 2 an opponent the coaches respect. A historically solid Mountain West school, Fresno State, Nevada, SDSU. That is a game we get some credit for. Game three a MAC school. They want us, we should handle them.

Bama and Florida don't belong in the same sentence. I would love to play Florida on the road. For one, it'd be a quick drive for me, but I also think Minnesota could win the game. It would be huge exposure and a big time win if the opportunity were to come

Bama and Florida don't belong in the same sentence. I would love to play Florida on the road. For one, it'd be a quick drive for me, but I also think Minnesota could win the game. It would be huge exposure and a big time win if the opportunity were to come

Fair. I was just using that as an example of the teams with talent I think are still well above ours. All in due time.
Could have substituted Clemson, Auburn, etc...

1. Miami (@ Atlanta - ABC CFB kickoff)
2. Tulsa or East Carolina
3. Army (Home and Home Series)

Ideally we would play Iowa State every other year so over four years each player would get a home and away game with the closest P5 school to us.

Vegas and Fort Collins were blasts to visit - it would be nice to have comparable fun place road games. Boulder works. Think Memphis and Tulane. Maybe UTSA.

Imagine a year 3/4 like

Tulane
Colorado (Texas? Louisville?)
Iowa State

Start with a bit easier foe.
Maximize home ticket sales and road trip interest.
Position for post season.

If the giant stops sleeping on schedule,
The we really should stop the three pansies by RTBSUM year 4.

One mid-to-low power 5 team (Oregon St., NC State, Arizona, etc.)
One group of 5 team from a cool loacation for a here-and-there series (Colo St., Wyo, Florida Atlantic)
One MAC team

An SEC team every once and a while would be nice.

How about North Carolina? Wouldn't it be cool to see them on a future schedule?

You just picked the 3 non conference teams I hate the most.....or at least close to it.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Isn't that even more reason to play and beat them??

So sick of these MN fair weather fans cheering for NDSU like they were fans the whole time.

Assuming there will still be 9 conf games the next three years:

2018-K State, @USF(for selfish reasons), Navy
2019-Boise St, @K State, Memphis
2020-WKU, OK St, @Memphis

2018 - @Cal, Kansas, MAC school to be named.
2019 - MAC school, Mississippi or Miss St, Colorado
2020 - Notre Dame, MAC school, ASU

As I recall, the reason the Iowa State series ended was because IA State didn' t want to play two Big 10 teams in the same year, and they play Iowa every year.

I would like to see Missouri on a future schedule. ULM would be Interesting. Always liked their Uniforms.

2018 (3H): Central Michigan, Navy, Pitt

2019 (2H, 1A): Arkansas State, Toledo, @ Pitt

2020 (3H): Miami-Ohio, Louisiana Tech, Kansas State

Top Bottom