South Bend Tribune: Notre Dame fans embarrassed and appalled by all that Georgia red

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the South Bend Tribune:

University of Georgia fans turned out in full force for Saturday’s game against Notre Dame in South Bend. It had some Irish fans seeing red. Today’s Letters column is devoted to the topic.

Once again, 17 years later, Irish “fans” show their true colors (and how dare they call it blue and gold). I walk into our stadium and see more red than I care to even think about again. Shame on the professors, university employees, season ticket holders and alumni who sold their tickets and allowed the Georgia nation to enjoy a home game away from home. I have always considered it a privilege to have Notre Dame season football tickets, especially for the big games such as this one. I am embarrassed and appalled. I remain and will always bleed blue and gold. Go Irish.

Wayne Troiola

South Bend

Ashamed
This letter is addressed to the lame Notre Dame ticket holders who sold out to the Georgia football fans. What a disgrace to see nearly one-third of the stadium in red rather than Irish blue and gold. These were the same fans who were lame when Nebraska came to our stadium. Was their monetary gain worth the obvious slap in the face of the Notre Dame football team and their true fans? There isn’t any control over “sellouts,” but they should be ashamed.

Phil MacGregor

South Bend

Loyalty
This opinion is intended for Notre Dame football ticket holders. I am admittedly a rabid ND fan but I must state that, in my opinion, there are too few of us who fill the stadium on Saturdays.

The most recent home game against Georgia makes my point. Whenever a big-time game falls on the schedule, you can predictably count on a large segment of Notre Dame ticket holders selling their seats to the highest bidder. You can visually see that this problem is widespread. Georgia red was everywhere. They were in front of me, next to me and behind me. They were great fans and plenty vocal! The net effect was that this big-time home game felt like an away game for the Notre Dame team. The 20,000 or 30,000 Georgia fans (my estimate) made more noise than the home team fans at critical points in the game

ND ticket holders should give these kids who work their butts off a real home field advantage and go to these important games as ND fans (and not just ticket holders). Let’s shoot for some old-fashioned loyalty to the team rather than to the almighty dollar. Go Irish!

Chuck Reger

South Bend

59ba0fa78e881.image.jpg

https://www.southbendtribune.com/ne...cle_245967be-114f-5db0-9253-a4c8308dbb7e.html

Go Gophers!!

No team is immune to this given the right circumstances.

I read that Delta was offering $4,000 to passengers willing to get bumped on a Friday flight from ATL (Atlanta) to SBN (South Bend) and take a 7:00 flight.

They started at $2,000 and had to move it up to $4,000 before getting any takers. I believe it was a passenger that was not travelling for the game, but simply travelling the same route.

I read that Delta was offering $4,000 to passengers willing to get bumped on a Friday flight from ATL (Atlanta) to SBN (South Bend) and take a 7:00 flight.

They started at $2,000 and had to move it up to $4,000 before getting any takers. I believe it was a passenger that was not travelling for the game, but simply travelling the same route.

IIRC the $4000 taker... got to the destination on another flight the same day.

Took my dad to the game and we were amazed that this occurred. Lots of shocked ND fans. Georgia fans we talked to payed as much as $2000 for a ticket but they all said they were not going to pass up a visit to ND.

It looked like a heck of a lot more than 1/3 red. It was more than half. I hope Quinn was watching!

Beating others to the punch....

Sounds like Notre Dame needs a culture change.

Georgia fans had a perfect storm of scheduling with them playing at South Bend on Saturday and the Falcons playing at the Bears on Sunday. A lot of them took advantage of that synchronicity and got two for the price of one.

How often do we see a glut of Fadgers, Hogeyes, and Conrh#lers invade TCF?

Georgia fans had a perfect storm of scheduling with them playing at South Bend on Saturday and the Falcons playing at the Bears on Sunday. A lot of them took advantage of that synchronicity and got two for the price of one.

Also apparently they broke out into some sort of chant at Wrigley as they packed Wrigley too.

Also apparently they broke out into some sort of chant at Wrigley as they packed Wrigley too.

Yep that too. They missed the Braves at Wrigley by a week, but that's a hell of a sports weekend in a hell of a city for those Georgia fans.

How often do we see a glut of Fadgers, Hogeyes, and Conrh#lers invade TCF?

The Dome had 62,000 seats. TCF opened with 50,800. The best part is. since it opened, Iowa and Wisconsin fans were boasting that they'd have "20,000" fans at the game. Then it went down to 15,000. Then, when they've got about 6-7,000 fans in there they head to the boards to dispute that by saying "We had 10k in there! well, at least 8,000..." :cool:

They've got many good fans and they don't need to "travel" much to get here. Most of them live right in the Greater Metro Area.

What they didn't have were math skills.

Gophers need to keep winning this year and bring the trophies back.

IIRC the $4000 taker... got to the destination on another flight the same day.

Yeah, just take one of the bazillion flights between the world's two busiest airports, ATL and ORD. Spend $500 to rent a Ferrari in Georgia red for the day and drive it to South Bend. Pocket the other $3500.

Also, red really sticks out for visiting fans, moreso than about any other color. The same number of ND fans could show up in Athens, GA next season and it wouldn't look nearly as invaded with mixes of navy blue, green, or metallic gold.

When Georgia never travels very far for their games, their fans will want to take advantage of such a unique opportunity.

Top Bottom