The pain of dealing with fellow 'fans' in an NFL town

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I am continually amazed at how on one hand locals cheer for the Gophers and want to see them achieve big things, but on the other hand continually display expectations that are out of line with college football because of their NFL clouded minds. Don't get me wrong, it has been 50 years without a title and that is too long by any definition. There should be high expectations but please don't confuse them with NFL expectations. Examples I face with locals include:

1. Equating B1G Ten titles with NFC north titles. B1G titles require rising above 13 other teams in a non-level competitive environment (money, facilities, recruiting, etc.). Winning the NFC North or even getting a wild card spot means topping 3 other teams or qualifying as one of the 12 (out of 32) teams making the playoffs, in a level environment where everyone has the same facilities and access to talent.

2. Superbowl = National Championship . Rising above 128 teams is equated with topping 32 of them.

3. 9-7 Vikings record that qualifies for playoffs is seen as a good year. 8-4 Gopher record is seen as "another meaningless bowl" and continues the ingrained perception of the "Gophers have sucked for decades." The Rose Bowl seems to be equal to making the NFL playoffs for some. Way out of line.

4. Non conference Gopher games are described as "preseason games" and most non-con opponents are seen as "cupcakes" because they are not B1G, even though nearly every other D1 team manages their schedules the same way. I've even heard from multiple people (including this board) that last year's 9-4 record doesn't matter because of the schedule. Gopher "preseason" games are often ignored and I have literally been asked if they "count" by people I assumed knew college football.

5. Treating college players like they are pros. Gopher players don't get NFL paychecks but they get booed and the backup QB is usually the only popular player.

6. Rules. I can't count as high as the number of times I have explained the difference between the NFL and college on everything from punts crossing the goal line to how many feet the receiver gets in bounds. It always tells me right away how legit the supposed "expert" is as I watch the game with him/her.

So, for many, the only way the Gophers will be seen as "good" in this NFL town is to play in (and perhaps be required to win) the Rose Bowl. I find myself wishing people here were better educated on college football. Again, I'm not saying we should be content with 50 year breaks between conference titles (not good, I get that), but the overall perspective changes a bit with college football knowledge.

Yes, I too would get frustrated if I had to deal with these. But to me, it seems like most people I've talked with understand college football a lot better than the people you must have encountered.

This a good example of why I laugh when Vikings' fans poo-poo the Gophers.

They all seem to conveniently forget that the Vikings haven't sniffed a Super Bowl since 1977. The vast majority of the NFL has been to at least one Super Bowl since then while the Vikings have continually bumbled along, finding ways to not get it done. And when they've had the chance on the big stage, they've failed each and every time.

Yet, many Vikings fans will openly make fun of the U for not winning the Big 10 since 1967 and not winning a national title since 1961. The irony of it all is amusing, considering the Vikings have NEVER won the big one in the entirety of their history.

To be clear, I'm not ripping on all Vikings fans for this mindset. But there certainly is a subset of the fan-base that thinks this way.

I have the same frustrations as you on a regular basis, especially when talking with my sports-crazed friends (most of which graduated from the U, no less).

I think the biggest difference between the NFL and College Football that make comparisons of success nearly impossible is the fact that the NFL is designed for overall parity, with a draft and salary cap in place that allow for the bottom feeders to recover quickly. If you have a winless season in college football, you end up setting your program back significantly when factoring in the effects on fan interest and recruiting, and then it most likely starts to snowball in the years to come. Meanwhile, if you go winless in the NFL, you get a very valuable set of draft picks to infuse young talent into your team to begin setting the table for a run of sustained success a few years out.

A lot of your points above help illustrate this as well, and it's for this reason that I consider the rebuilding job that the Kill regime did from 2011-2016 to be much more impressive than any rebuilding job that the Vikings have ever undertaken. This isn't meant to slam the Vikings in any way, but the dynamics of team building between the NFL and college football are drastically different and people need to understand that.

There are separate cases:
1) Alums who love the Vikings and are indifferent to the Gophers
2) Non-Alums living in the area that love the Vikes and are indifferent to the Gophers
3) Transplants who cheer for out-of-state teams (you'll have this in every major metro area)
4) People who don't care about football

In my opinion #1 is the biggest area of concern. What was it about their 4 years at The U that didn't cement their loyalty? I mean, it's B1G football in a beautiful outdoor stadium. I don't get it, but I do think the solution is starting with current and prospective students and building loyalty from there.

No need to waste time on the other groups. #3 will buy tickets but won't be wearing Maroon and Gold...

Agree 100%. It drives me up a wall when people refer to non-conference as "pre-season" games. How many pre-season games have you seen the starters in during the fourth quarter? None, EVER. Any non-conference game - virtually all of them (other than blow-outs).

There are separate cases:
1) Alums who love the Vikings and are indifferent to the Gophers
2) Non-Alums living in the area that love the Vikes and are indifferent to the Gophers
3) Transplants who cheer for out-of-state teams (you'll have this in every major metro area)
4) People who don't care about football

In my opinion #1 is the biggest area of concern. What was it about their 4 years at The U that didn't cement their loyalty? I mean, it's B1G football in a beautiful outdoor stadium. I don't get it, but I do think the solution is starting with current and prospective students and building loyalty from there.

No need to waste time on the other groups. #3 will buy tickets but won't be wearing Maroon and Gold...

You're assuming there was a beautiful outdoor stadium when they were at the U. For those of us who went through during the Dome era it was really easy to not get hooked on Gopher football. I freely admit I didn't. It was after I graduated that I got hooked.

Also, there are only a few thousand students who ever attend a game out of 50,000 or so each year. The remainder have no true link to Gopher football...

Some Vikings fans can be delusional when it comes to their recollection of how much success the team has had.
Since 2010, they have a lower winning percentage than the Twins, but in most Vikings fans minds, 2009 was just a year ago, and we've been playoff contenders every year since and neither is true.

I am continually amazed at how on one hand locals cheer for the Gophers and want to see them achieve big things, but on the other hand continually display expectations that are out of line with college football because of their NFL clouded minds. Don't get me wrong, it has been 50 years without a title and that is too long by any definition. There should be high expectations but please don't confuse them with NFL expectations. Examples I face with locals include:

1. Equating B1G Ten titles with NFC north titles. B1G titles require rising above 13 other teams in a non-level competitive environment (money, facilities, recruiting, etc.). Winning the NFC North or even getting a wild card spot means topping 3 other teams or qualifying as one of the 12 (out of 32) teams making the playoffs, in a level environment where everyone has the same facilities and access to talent.

2. Superbowl = National Championship . Rising above 128 teams is equated with topping 32 of them.

3. 9-7 Vikings record that qualifies for playoffs is seen as a good year. 8-4 Gopher record is seen as "another meaningless bowl" and continues the ingrained perception of the "Gophers have sucked for decades." The Rose Bowl seems to be equal to making the NFL playoffs for some. Way out of line.

4. Non conference Gopher games are described as "preseason games" and most non-con opponents are seen as "cupcakes" because they are not B1G, even though nearly every other D1 team manages their schedules the same way. I've even heard from multiple people (including this board) that last year's 9-4 record doesn't matter because of the schedule. Gopher "preseason" games are often ignored and I have literally been asked if they "count" by people I assumed knew college football.

5. Treating college players like they are pros. Gopher players don't get NFL paychecks but they get booed and the backup QB is usually the only popular player.

6. Rules. I can't count as high as the number of times I have explained the difference between the NFL and college on everything from punts crossing the goal line to how many feet the receiver gets in bounds. It always tells me right away how legit the supposed "expert" is as I watch the game with him/her.

So, for many, the only way the Gophers will be seen as "good" in this NFL town is to play in (and perhaps be required to win) the Rose Bowl. I find myself wishing people here were better educated on college football. Again, I'm not saying we should be content with 50 year breaks between conference titles (not good, I get that), but the overall perspective changes a bit with college football knowledge.

Winner of "Post of the Year"!!!!

So true, it has become fashionable to bash the Gophers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The missing "breakthrough moment" is still killing fan interest. The intersection of a huge, unexpected home win and a good season already to date. I'm 36, have seen almost every game for 30 years, and I haven't seen it yet. I almost witnessed it that one Thursday night in 2003. Gophers would be better off from a fan interest standpoint winning the Big Ten and then crashing to the league basement than continuing to putter along in various grades of average.

Most of the big wins have been road wins. We get few upsets in either direction. We're one of only 2 traditional member teams (Indiana the other) who hasn't won the Big Ten in my lifetime. Nebraska's had plenty of highs, and even Rutgers was #2 in the nation for a hot second.

I understand that a National Championship in the modern era might be asking too much of this program. I think fans realize that too, but the lack of a signature moment or season keeps the Gophers on the back page and everyone tagging them with the dreaded "average".

I deal with this scenario on a DAILY basis, sports crazed Vikings fans who continually ravage the Gophers for going 8-4 and to a meaningless bowl. However when the Vikings make the playoffs it is seen as a grandiose accomplishment. Thank you for articulating it in ways I clearly cannot, much appreciated to all in this thread.

I don't get the mentality much, either. If the Gophers win eight plus games and make it to a bowl game and for that matter win it, I'd consider it a good season. Not great, but enjoyable. Even a season where they go 6-6 and go to a bowl game, at least that means they're competitive and maybe cap their season with a win.

I wonder if it's because 'good' years for the Vikings have taken place during 'bad' seasons for the Gophers. 90s for an example had the Gophers struggling while the Vikings made the playoffs numerous times.

Still, I don't see why Vikings fans can't just give credit for the Gophers winning some games and not get all critical.

It's not a "Vikings fans" issue, it's an NFL fans issue. Fans who follow only the NFL and not college just tend to be more ignorant. Vikings fans are a bit more enlightened because there is a large (though not complete) overlap with the Gophers. Also, Vikings fans aren't wrong to think they've been significantly more successful than the Goph's at least in my lifetime (since the 1970s). Some huge letdowns, obviously, but at least I can honestly say there have been multiple years I felt the Vikings were the "best" team in the NFL, and I don't think I've ever come close to thinking the Gophers were best in the B1G. Hopefully that day is coming soon.

And as much as we make fun of Packer fans and their drunken ignorance (justifiably in large part) I have found Chicago Bear fans to be hands down the dumbest of the lot, with the worst takes, in all of football.

We can party together!

It's not a "Vikings fans" issue, it's an NFL fans issue. Fans who follow only the NFL and not college just tend to be more ignorant. Vikings fans are a bit more enlightened because there is a large (though not complete) overlap with the Gophers. Also, Vikings fans aren't wrong to think they've been significantly more successful than the Goph's at least in my lifetime (since the 1970s). Some huge letdowns, obviously, but at least I can honestly say there have been multiple years I felt the Vikings were the "best" team in the NFL, and I don't think I've ever come close to thinking the Gophers were best in the B1G. Hopefully that day is coming soon.

And as much as we make fun of Packer fans and their drunken ignorance (justifiably in large part) I have found Chicago Bear fans to be hands down the dumbest of the lot, with the worst takes, in all of football.

Yes - this. There is generally a rather large gap in culture/education between the hardcore Gopher and Viking fan. They really should have put the new Vikings stadium in Blaine, because I always associate the typical Vikings fan with ABC corridor (Anoka/Blaine/Coon Rapids). The NFL is king wherever it resides...it's just the way it is. Now that I live in Alabama it is fascinating seeing the shift leaning towards the college game. Most people I speak with, after learning that I am from the North, assume that I favor the NFL but they appreciate the fact that I strongly lean towards the college game (although they usually are surprised that Minnesota is, in fact, a division 1 football team in the Big10 conference - they don't have much knowledge/appreciation for the conference after OSU and Michigan. They basically find it 'cute').

Very well said.

Yes - this. There is generally a rather large gap in culture/education between the hardcore Gopher and Viking fan. They really should have put the new Vikings stadium in Blaine, because I always associate the typical Vikings fan with ABC corridor (Anoka/Blaine/Coon Rapids). The NFL is king wherever it resides...it's just the way it is. Now that I live in Alabama it is fascinating seeing the shift leaning towards the college game. Most people I speak with, after learning that I am from the North, assume that I favor the NFL but they appreciate the fact that I strongly lean towards the college game (although they usually are surprised that Minnesota is, in fact, a division 1 football team in the Big10 conference - they don't have much knowledge/appreciation for the conference after OSU and Michigan. They basically find it 'cute').

They must have conveniently forgot about the 2004 Music City Bowl then. Cute.

I really haven't had too many bad run-ins with Vikings fans.

You're assuming there was a beautiful outdoor stadium when they were at the U. For those of us who went through during the Dome era it was really easy to not get hooked on Gopher football.

This. An entire generation of students were forced to take shuttle buses (for the minority of us who lived on campus) downtown to an antiseptic stadium with its completely un-collegiate atmosphere, to watch mostly mediocre to worse football. It was a wholly crappy experience. I have few regrets about going to school at the University of Minnesota; missing out on the bonding of an on-campus football experience is one that's high on my list. I think that's a big reason for apathy among alumni...we were given nothing to build on.

You did catch the irony in your post, right? You infer that the college fan is more educated and then you talk about all the college fans in Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can give you several, even MORE disturbing scenarios: the die-hard Gopher Hockey or Basketball fan who could give a rip how the Gopher football team does and will not support them or go to any games. I'm not saying all are that way, but I especially run into Gopher hockey fans that turn their noses up when I mention the football team. Seems like they are Gopher fans ONLY for one particular sport.
Scenario #2: fans from Duluth or St. Cloud or Mankato, who simply hate the Gophers because of the Hockey rivalry and that carries over to the football team by association. I've run into this more than once. So because they compete with us in Hockey, they simply cannot get behind the Gopher Football team....duh! (but all of them absolutely love their Vikings)

Didn't read the entire thread so not sure if this has been mentioned, but I think the NFL-syndrome is why so many fans have unrealistic expectations for our quarterback. Leidner was statistically an average Big Ten quarterback, but when you expect him to be as accurate as Sam Bradford (who was an unbelievable college quarterback, #1 pick, Heisman, etc.) it's not realistic.

The NFL has replaced baseball as America's Pastime. The fans are certainly more boorish and tend to be Generation Y ( born in the early 80's ) and more of a lunch pail crowd. The games tend to be about the pre and after game celebration. Case in point. Tanks Bar in Babbitt runs a bus to one game a year and as the owner told me: The only guy sober through the whole trip was the bus driver. My son went with a friend who got tickets last year and tailgated with a group. He couldn't believe how smashed they were before the game.In one incident a guy was throwing up and his buddy caught it and threw it back in his face. But, it is what it is, and the Vikings are the Little Darlings' of the State and I think the Gophers need to capture the fence sitters. There are more than enough of them if we change the culture on how they view the Gophers. I'm hoping PJ is Moses coming down from the mountain.

Why concern yourself with what other people think? Cheer for the team however you want to cheer for the team, f the rest.

As a die hard Gopher and Viking fan I can't even see how a person can connect the two teams. The only time i ever connect the two teams is when I'm hoping the vikings will draft a gopher. College football and the NFL are two different categories, and comparing the successes of the two are laughable. I wouldn't even engage the people the people in a conversation if they started rambling on with record between the two..

Do people understand that if you get upset in a non conference game the national championship game hopes are gone. Compare that to a pre season loss and it is a perfect example why that argument is dumb.

Don't place or lump in Blaine with Anoka and Coon Rapids

There are a lot of Gopher football fans in Blaine, even season ticket holders just ask the ticket office. Blaine football fans are a lot more sophisticated than the NFL paint your face crowds and get drunk A and C bunch from your equation. Just sayin, I know quite a few Gopher fans that have Gopher tickets. Not all the folks that live in the 6th live in trailer parks, or drink Bud light endlessly.

I've said it before, and I'm not the only one to have done so: there is no reason you can't be a fan of both the Vikings and the Gophers. I am, and I know many others who are too. This is not soaked in some sort of mutual-exclusivity potion; we all can be fans of both teams.

As for down-playing the Gophers' successes, the reality is that for a significant period the Gophers have been bottom-dwellers/laughing stocks. Their best seasons have are best characterized as a higher form of mediocre (Vikings have been more successful in the time period ranging from the 80's to present). But I'm a fan anyway! And I know the Gophers can become giants.

Gophers have coaches who can lead them to the top in basketball and football. The institution as a whole needs to make hard decisions to become elite - it can do it, but I think it won't, which is frustrating. I won't go into this, because most of you effers will get upset.

In any event, Gophers are on the upswing, so are the Vikes. Cheer for both!

I've said it before, and I'm not the only one to have done so: there is no reason you can't be a fan of both the Vikings and the Gophers. I am, and I know many others who are too. This is not soaked in some sort of mutual-exclusivity potion; we all can be fans of both teams.

As for down-playing the Gophers' successes, the reality is that for a significant period the Gophers have been bottom-dwellers/laughing stocks. Their best seasons have are best characterized as a higher form of mediocre (Vikings have been more successful in the time period ranging from the 80's to present). But I'm a fan anyway! And I know the Gophers can become giants.

Gophers have coaches who can lead them to the top in basketball and football. The institution as a whole needs to make hard decisions to become elite - it can do it, but I think it won't, which is frustrating. I won't go into this, because most of you effers will get upset.

In any event, Gophers are on the upswing, so are the Vikes. Cheer for both!

Agree 100 %. I have season tickets for both and want both of them to win !

Didn't read the entire thread so not sure if this has been mentioned, but I think the NFL-syndrome is why so many fans have unrealistic expectations for our quarterback. Leidner was statistically an average Big Ten quarterback, but when you expect him to be as accurate as Sam Bradford (who was an unbelievable college quarterback, #1 pick, Heisman, etc.) it's not realistic.

I wonder if most Vikings fans realize that Brett Favre and Christian Ponder are both top 10 all-time in passing yardage for the Vikes. My Vikings haven't won a thing in my lifetime. I turn 40 in a few weeks.

The missing "breakthrough moment" is still killing fan interest. The intersection of a huge, unexpected home win and a good season already to date. I'm 36, have seen almost every game for 30 years, and I haven't seen it yet. I almost witnessed it that one Thursday night in 2003. Gophers would be better off from a fan interest standpoint winning the Big Ten and then crashing to the league basement than continuing to putter along in various grades of average.

Most of the big wins have been road wins. We get few upsets in either direction. We're one of only 2 traditional member teams (Indiana the other) who hasn't won the Big Ten in my lifetime. Nebraska's had plenty of highs, and even Rutgers was #2 in the nation for a hot second.

I understand that a National Championship in the modern era might be asking too much of this program. I think fans realize that too, but the lack of a signature moment or season keeps the Gophers on the back page and everyone tagging them with the dreaded "average".

+1. While much of what is in the OP is correct, the Vikings have also never lost to the Packers 13 times in a row. If they did, they would have a problem with these same fans. In the 30 years I have followed the Gophers we have beaten Michigan 3 times, but none at home. We have beaten OSU once, not at home. 9-4 is great. But when your best win is at Maryland, you can't blame the casual fans for not getting excited. It's nearly impossible to go 10-6 or 11-5 in the NFL without beating some name teams. The same is not true in the B1G.

The Vikings have had about 57 starting quarterbacks in the last 30 years (as opposed to like 4 for Green Bay) and most of them were bad. I don't think a fan base that has watched Spurgeon Wynn, Tarvaris Jackson and Christian Ponder will have sky high expectations from their quarterback.

Top Bottom