Thoughts on the "Who Hates Iowa?" Chant

Winners just say nothing and keep winning. It is a low end chant.

I bet you are one of the people that complained about the "Hey Song" at hockey games and wanted Maturi to remove it from tradition. Nice going. Way to make college games lame.

As long as it isn't vulgar I don't have a problem with it.

It really is one of the few things you can do to get gopher fans excited and engaged. Works for me.

It's tradition.

Besides, the alternative would be "Who Loves Iowa?"

Even Iowa fans don't want to hear us chant that.

Doesn't move the needle on my opinion of Badger fans. All time low was hit when they had the mock Obama in a prison outfit getting lynched. Hard to top that one.
View attachment 5106

Disgusting act, absolutely. But truthfully, have you heard from a single Vadger fan, or school official who's said anything other than it was deplorable?
Saying "they" (where the pronoun is assumed the school) is a huge, unfounded leap.

The E-S F-U chant is disgusting, though.

Not sure when this chant started, but it has definitely been very common at TCF, especially when leaving the stadium. In my opinion, I don't think that the chant really represents how most gopher fans are. In my experience, other teams' fans have always thought Minnesota fans have been nice and respectable. I like Minnesota to be know as a very welcoming place, and this chant definitely takes away from that culture. I haven't traveled to many other stadiums, so I don't know if chants like these are very common. I'd like to hear some thoughts on why people like or dislike this chant.

Ski-U-Mah
Row The Boat
Go Gophers

Snowflake

No problem with it. There's never a bad time to hate Iowa.

However, even during last year's game when the Gophs were still in it, I noticed a distinct lack of appetite for said chant.

The drunken Scony students are also disgusting at the hockey game. Definitely, not a family environment, unless of course if you are from Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love it. Gets the crowd energized and it's a more interactive chant since the question is yelled and followed by the answer. I think it makes sense for the rivalry, especially considering the history (that goal post thing still makes me mad) and the competitiveness. Plus, I don't think it's that out there for a fanbase to have this type of attitude toward a rival. Michigan-Ohio State have pretty much the same viewpoints about each other.

I like it and usually join in. Reminds of the good old days ( s/ ) at the Dome when we beat Iowa and knocked them out of the Rose Bowl. (Seriously - rival games need to be the last game of the season!) It's part of our tradition, kind of tongue-in-cheek, mystifies other teams' fans, and is a great way to bond as we're leaving the stadium after a win.

Not sure when this chant started, but it has definitely been very common at TCF, especially when leaving the stadium. In my opinion, I don't think that the chant really represents how most gopher fans are. In my experience, other teams' fans have always thought Minnesota fans have been nice and respectable. I like Minnesota to be know as a very welcoming place, and this chant definitely takes away from that culture. I haven't traveled to many other stadiums, so I don't know if chants like these are very common. I'd like to hear some thoughts on why people like or dislike this chant.

Ski-U-Mah
Row The Boat
Go Gophers

I feel like I'm pretty conservative on that kind of stuff (I don't swear much and have little kids) but I think the who hates Iowa chant is hilarious. It's totally tongue in cheek. The best part is it's chanted at random times that have nothing to do with Iowa. Hopefully Iowa fans get it (and hopefully Gopher fans too).

I love this chant. Do it year round. If you don't participate in it you aren't a true gopher fan.

I bet you are one of the people that complained about the "Hey Song" at hockey games and wanted Maturi to remove it from tradition. Nice going. Way to make college games lame.

I also been complaining about being on the short end of 35 games with Iowa since I got my season tickets (24-11). Watched them tear down the goal posts at the dump. Its a lame chant and until we kick their ass regularly, it will be a lame chant.

"Who got beat by the Iron 5. Iowa got beat by the Iron 5". I loved that one Wisconsin? What is appropo for the scum of the earth? I equate them to dog sh-t. that you wait for to dry up and the wind blows it away so you don't get it on your shoes.

I hear it randomly all the time from gopher fans.

I live in Iowa & I still think it's great. I don't think anyone takes the word "hate" part literally. It's just a rivalry type of hate. Not actual hate. Hating a football team isn't the same as hating a person.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1986 Iron Five?

"Who got beat by the Iron 5. Iowa got beat by the Iron 5". I loved that one Wisconsin? What is appropo for the scum of the earth? I equate them to dog sh-t. that you wait for to dry up and the wind blows it away so you don't get it on your shoes.[/QUOTE

Wasn't it Ohio St. that the Iron 5 beat? Led by a Gopher favorite of ours: the " man child" Tim Hanson?!

I have no problem with it.

I thought it was a little strange when the U came out and tried to distance itself from it.

Similar to the hockey fans still chanting "Drop the puck, Sioux Suck." at every game regardless of the opponent. There is some nostalgia involved in the chant at this point that I would hate to lose. It's relatively clean compared to some of the student chants. I wish we had something more positive like Nebraska's call and answer on Go Big Red! I was born in Iowa and my family moved here when I was 5. I'm fine with putting Iowa down to make myself feel better about our team. I'm not super proud of that, but it works.

The difference to me is that the Sioux suck thing is aimed at a sporting rival, the who hates Iowa is aimed at the entire state.

The difference to me is that the Sioux suck thing is aimed at a sporting rival, the who hates Iowa is aimed at the entire state.

Or maybe it's aimed at the IOWA Hawkeyes....a sporting rival.

Nope. Kind of like Ann Arbor. I am sure it is a great town, with great people. But I still love the shirt that says "Ann Arbor is a Whore"

It works best after a win ... against someone other than Iowa.

The first time I heard the chant was at the tailgate in Houston the first time they played in the Texas Bowl. Many of my Houston friends were with us and they found the chant to be quite humorous, especially because they didn't have any idea that anyone hated Iowa or even cared about Iowa. They never even considered that iowa could be offensive to anyone, kind of Longhorn arrogance thing. I thinker's pretty funny. Truthfully Minnesota doesnt have much of a national identity, but neither does Iowa.

Who hates Bucky?
We hates Bucky!

Top Bottom