Thoughts on the "Who Hates Iowa?" Chant

When you tear down goal posts in our stadium, you'll get hate chants for eternity...

I'm a Gopher fans who is also an Iowa alum and I agree with that in spirit. That was, using Hillary Clinton's term, "deplorable." Nevertheless I believe that "Who hates Iowa?!" is kind of a dumb chant that is unrepresentative of Minnesota (as the lead poster implied) and it doesn't seem to be chanted by anyone over 30.

The phrase isn't what I would pick for a phrase that started organically and grew to be a chant many gopher fans use to bring other fans together. But it seems like the only one our fan base has of its kind. People don't randomly start yelling ski-, then others around yell u, and other ones say mah, (which I think would be pretty cool). So we're stuck with who hates Iowa. It's not the best but it seems like the only one we have. I could care less of what Iowa fans think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The chant started and was initially used only in the Iowa game, but it has become this kind of meta chant that is used in places that it doesn't make sense kind of adding to the silliness. Maybe someone with a degree in abstract psychology or art can explain better than I can.

I could care less of what Iowa fans think about it.

Not a very noble (or smart) sentiment. What goes around comes around.

"I don't care what Republicans think."

"I don't care what Democrats think."

I don't care what white people think."

I don't care what black people think."

See how that goes?

See how that goes?

Holy loss of perspective batman!

See how that goes?

Thanks for the compliment. The reason I don't care is because if an Iowa fan takes that personally that says way more about them than anything else. As others have stated (and even a poster or two from Iowa) it is obviously leveled towards the football team, not to be taken personally. I would have no problem yelling "who hates Iowa", in front of an Iowa fan, and turn right around and have a good natured conversation with him.

No man I don't see how that goes. Trying to correlate what you mentioned in your post with this is one of the dumber statements I've read on Gopherhole and that's saying something.

Holy loss of perspective batman!

Not a loss of perspective at all. It's a dumb and ignoble chant. As a person who didn't grow up in Minnesota but has lived here for the last 15 and is impressed with the state I think this tradition is unrepresentative of the state and is degrading to its reputation. But, if you don't mind practicing something that is dumb, ignoble, and degrading to the reputation of this state, then by all means carry on.

Not a loss of perspective at all. It's a dumb and ignoble chant. As a person who didn't grow up in Minnesota but has lived here for the last 15 and is impressed with the state I think this tradition is unrepresentative of the state and is degrading to its reputation. But, if you don't mind practicing something that is dumb, ignoble, and degrading to the reputation of this state, then by all means carry on.

I don't mind at all. I will say if this is the biggest problem you have with the state you live in you're doing pretty good.

Have a good night.

I'm a Gopher fans who is also an Iowa alum and I agree with that in spirit. That was, using Hillary Clinton's term, "deplorable." Nevertheless I believe that "Who hates Iowa?!" is kind of a dumb chant that is unrepresentative of Minnesota (as the lead poster implied) and it doesn't seem to be chanted by anyone over 30.

You either don't go to games, your kidding, or there is some part of the stadium existing in a parallel universe separate from the section I'm in. 103 rules! The most avid screamer of this chant in our section is my friends 50 year old wife.

Remember when sports were fun?

The Iowa who tore down the goalposts in _our_ field.
Had sex in _our_ bathrooms.
And called our field Kinnick North?
Yeah, I hate them.
Own the shirt, love the chant.

Stop trying to gentrify our football team.
Go watch fencing.

See how that goes?

Dude, relax.

The Iowa who tore down the goalposts in _our_ field.
Had sex in _our_ bathrooms.
And called our field Kinnick North?
Yeah, I hate them.
Own the shirt, love the chant.

Stop trying to gentrify our football team.
Go watch fencing.

This.

It's not "who hates the hawkeyes", it's not even "who hates the University of Iowa". Iowa is the name of a state.

Words have multiple definitions, depending on context. Iowa can refer to the state itself, or it can refer to the University of Iowa. Just like Minnesota can refer to the state, the university, the Vikings, Twins, Timberwolves, Wild, Lynx or Loons (and a few others) depending on context. In the context "Who Hates Iowa?" is used, it refers to the University of Iowa and in particular the Hawkeyes.

It's not "who hates the hawkeyes", it's not even "who hates the University of Iowa". Iowa is the name of a state.

You don't participate in many chants, do you.....

Step 1 in making a good chant is to keep it short. "Who hates the University of Iowa" is not a good chant.

But one thing that has not changed is the passion and undying loyalty of Golden Gopher Football fans. In our beautiful stadium we pack the bleachers and seats, painting "M's" on our faces and adorning ourselves with any maroon and gold garb we can get our hands on. We chant "We hate Iowa!" because so many others before us have and that is such an amazing feeling. Carrying on the traditions of others before us is something collegiate sports lives for. So when you go to a football game next and the team you're proclaiming to hate is not the team on the field, don't worry about it; our history has got you covered.

https://umn.freshu.io/alexandra-werner/do-you-know-why-you-hate-iowa-didn-t-think-so

You don't participate in many chants, do you.....

Step 1 in making a good chant is to keep it short. "Who hates the University of Iowa" is not a good chant.

No it should be "Who hates the University of Iowa, and we mean specifically the football team, and we don't really mean hate, it's just a rivalry thing!" and then pass out from lack of oxygen.

“Who Hates Iowa? We Hate Iowa!”

Never mind that this is a non-conference basketball game against Florida State. Or that it’s a game that Iowa fans actually wanted the Gophers to win. It’s a chant that has taken a life of its own and it pops up anywhere at anytime.

“They don’t miss a day,” Minnesota running back David Cobb said. “From the first quarter of the first game if they don’t chant it, I’ll be surprised.

“They’ll chant it at the first game of the season, I guarantee it. I guarantee you.”

-

The chant itself has taken off in recent years, so much so that the players themselves expect — and embrace — it.

I love it,” Minnesota quarterback Mitch Leidner said, “because we hate Iowa. That’s a huge rivalry. That goes back to a long time ago, getting Floyd of Rosedale.”

“What I love about it is they do it all year,” Gophers safety Cedric Thompson said. “It’s not just when Iowa comes. It’s the first game, halftime, ‘Who hates Iowa?’ So it’s good they’re thinking about Iowa in advance when they come. I love it.”

-

“As a freshman I came in and I don’t even know where Iowa is,” Cobb said. “I don’t even care about Iowa. I just want to win. As a freshman I came in with that attitude. But right now as a senior, I’m like, ‘I hate Iowa.’”

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/minnesota-players-love-to-hate-iowa-20140801

The thing that kills me is the complete lack of respect for and knowledge of the history of our football program.
You want to know what's embarrassing? Floyd of Rosedale.
Our players specifically targeted and injured a young man for being black which led to death threats that escalated to the attention of our governors.
Yet we still play for it every year.
Or how about the jug?
Michigan was afraid that we would give them bad water so when they brought their own water jug, we stole it.
Or the chair, which started because a parody disgraced ex-coach of Nebraska threatened to beat our mascot with a chair.

The history of Minnesota football is long, nuanced, and not always pretty.

"Who hates Iowa?!" should not be the thing you are complaining about.
And frankly, they deserve it after tearing down our goalposts.

I think you need to be reminded that today is a great day...to hate Iowa.

Maybe we can just have SleepingGiant and SKOOKM head up the thought police for Gopher fans to determine that NO ONE could possibly be offended by anything chanted or said by fans.

WE HATE IOWA! (from a guy in his 50's)

At least we don't need four whole sections of a stadium to spell out our state name! I guess it makes it easy for the Iowegians to only have to remember one letter!

Go Gophers!

Before the earth cooled and the ice ages came - when I was a student at the U - there was little love lost between us and our rivals to the South. I recall friends returning from Iowa City after a football game circa 1960 reporting that their heads had been targets for Iowa fan beer and whisky bottles. But as for me, I don't like the "who Hates Iowa?" chant. We're better than that. I'd prefer we bond with a Ski-U-Mah chant or something similarly positive.

Obviously, I haven't had as many experiences with Iowa fans as the common GH member. I was just trying to get a feel with why "people liked or disliked" the chant. I really liked hearing everyone's experiences with our rivals' fans, and I've actually gained a lot more perspective as to why y'all love the chant. Thanks.
Ski-U-Mah
Row The Boat
Go Gophers!

Obviously, I haven't had as many experiences with Iowa fans as the common GH member. I was just trying to get a feel with why "people liked or disliked" the chant. I really liked hearing everyone's experiences with our rivals' fans, and I've actually gained a lot more perspective as to why y'all love the chant. Thanks.
Ski-U-Mah
Row The Boat
Go Gophers!

The username, Join Date, and the bolded . . . Someone is either trying hard to be like PJ Fleck, or someone IS PJ Fleck . . .

The username, Join Date, and the bolded . . . Someone is either trying hard to be like PJ Fleck, or someone IS PJ Fleck . . .

Just trying to be ELITE Athletically, Academically, Socially, and Spiritually

Just trying to be ELITE Athletically, Academically, Socially, and Spiritually

Hi PJ!

hiii.gif

He's got the order wrong. PJ always says "Row the Boat" first.

Top Bottom