Nebraska vs. Minnesota "Chair Trophy" is coming back!

What also makes the Governor's bell worse is that the name of the trophy itself is almost more prominent on the trophy than the trophy itself.

The trophy itself completely looks like something University Administrators were tasked to make. So rather than come up with something original, whoever was tasked with the order, went to a Trophy maker to have it built.

No one went and found some historic old bell laying around and re-furbished it and etched it.
They went to a trophy shop, and it breaks easy.

It might be the worst traveling trophy in college football.

The chair is probably the best college football trophy created in the last 50 years. Awesome news. I love that we are going to win this battle over the kicks and screams of our University brain trusts. It's fun, it's for the fans, it's organic not forced, it's different, it's not corporate, and I love the idea of also using it to raise money for good causes. I'm absolutely thrilled!

It's original.
It has a story.
It's organic in it's growth.
It has controversy.
It has ties to the social media generation.
It's easily recognizable.

It has everything that the Big Ten wishes the Victory Bell had.

Yup the chair is fun stuff and the Nebraska rivalry while might be new-ish seems natural and fun too.

The Nebraska rivalry is sort of a revived rivalry. The Gophers have played them more than five other teams in the B1G, including OSU and MSU. And they will pass Indiana in the next 15 years or so to make it six (assuming no realignment).

The Nebraska rivalry is sort of a revived rivalry. The Gophers have played them more than five other teams in the B1G, including OSU and MSU. And they will pass Indiana in the next 15 years or so to make it six (assuming no realignment).

Yeah.

I tend to say new-ish as there isn't much of a connection to the past, but it sure is there. I suspect the past will get referenced more if the rivalry heats up.

For now it is fun with other good football fans for me.

I'd like to see the Broken Bit's be a Gopher-Nebraska trophy for all the sports. How come we have trophies for football, but not for basketball, or volleyball, or... Make it trophy for every varsity sport.

I'd like to see the Broken Bit's be a Gopher-Nebraska trophy for all the sports. How come we have trophies for football, but not for basketball, or volleyball, or... Make it trophy for every varsity sport.

Because unless you have multiple versions of it, it loses its value as a trophy unless you're the last sport to play for it. Why worry and get excited to win it if in a month a different team could lose it. Or vice versa.

Let's not duplicate the the trophies though.

Plenty of other silly stuff to come up with.

Also Nebraska needs a hockey team already.....

Let's not duplicate the the trophies though.

Plenty of other silly stuff to come up with.

Also Nebraska needs a hockey team already.....

Nope, don't duplicate it (as in make multiple trophies), just make the one trophy up for grabs each time we play the Huskers in a varsity sport. Instead of a one-a-year deal, the Broken Bit's will be up for grabs something like 20 times a year.

Nope, don't duplicate it (as in make multiple trophies), just make the one trophy up for grabs each time we play the Huskers in a varsity sport. Instead of a one-a-year deal, the Broken Bit's will be up for grabs something like 20 times a year.

Not a fan of the cross sport thing, I'd rather the history of each trophy be on a per sport basis.

This is the worst idea in the history of the world, and you should be tarred, feathered, waterboarded, and thrown in jail for thinking of it.

This is the worst idea in the history of the world, and you should be tarred, feathered, waterboarded, and thrown in jail for thinking of it.

I don't want our chair, nor a replica, being lost due to us losing a men's golf match.

I know I'll get cr*p for asking, but I've read every post in this thread so far and too lazy to search through Google searches... What the hell is the background of this trophy?

I know I'll get cr*p for asking, but I've read every post in this thread so far and too lazy to search through Google searches... What the hell is the background of this trophy?

$5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy
[edit]
The origin of the $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy is rooted in November 2014 banter between the Twitter accounts for Minnesota mascot Goldy Gopher and "Faux Pelini", a parody account of then-Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini.[3] Goldy suggested a wager on the game with this tweet: "Hey @FauxPelini, how about a friendly wager for this weekend's game? Team that gets the most points gets a conference win? Seem fair?"[4] Faux Pelini responded "OK how about if we [Nebraska] win you give me $5, if you [Minnesota] win I get to smash a wooden chair over your back".[5] This prompted Goldy to start crowdsourcing Twitter followers and Reddit's college football community to design the "$5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy".[6] Many designs were quickly presented and eventually Goldy created a real trophy, which was brought to the 2014 game in Lincoln. Minnesota won 28–24 to take the trophy, their first victory in Lincoln since 1960; it also gave Minnesota their first winning streak against Nebraska since their 3-game streak from 1951–54.[7] It received widespread acceptance from both fanbases, and has since been subsequently displayed at Minnesota's spirit events with other trophies such as Floyd of Rosedale and the Little Brown Jug.[8] The trophy changed hands for the first time on October 17, 2015 after Nebraska defeated Minnesota 48–25 in Minneapolis. Although Nebraska has since distanced itself from the trophy, in the weeks following the Cornhuskers' 2015 victory, the chair was seen with players and coaches, and made several appearances on the school's social media pages. [9]

In 2016, after Nebraska defeated Minnesota in Lincoln, the trophy seemingly disappeared. Inquiries to the Nebraska and Minnesota athletic departments revealed that neither school formally recognized the trophy in the first place. This essentially ended the $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy in any major capacity.[10] On September 12, 2017, it was announced, via Twitter,[better source needed] that Nebraska and Minnesota will once again play for the $5 Bits of Broken Chair, likely as an unofficial trophy game. The trophy will serve as the focal point of fundraisers for Nebraska's Team Jack Foundation and Minnesota's Masonic Children's Hospital. The image of Faux Pelini on the $5 bill has been replaced with Herbie Husker. The other $5 bill still bears a picture of Goldy Gopher.[citation needed]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota–Nebraska_football_rivalry#.245_Bits_of_Broken_Chair_Trophy

-------------------------------

When Minnesota takes on Nebraska this Saturday it will be the third time an entirely unique and completely unexpected trophy will be on the line. A trophy that we didn’t know we needed but that now deserves to be officially recognized and sanctioned by both schools. But how did it come to be?

The build-up to the Broken Chair

The story begins in late November 2014. Minnesota and Nebraska are gearing up for their fourth meeting since the Huskers joined the Big Ten. No one considers the game a heated rivalry, but the game takes on more significance following Minnesota’s unexpected win over Nebraska in 2013 and the game’s potential impact on the very hot seat of then Husker head coach Bo Pelini.

Earlier in November, Nebraska and Wisconsin announced the creation of the Freedom Trophy as the trophy riding on the outcome of Badger/Husker games for years to come. This bland, boring attempt to turn Wisconsin vs. Nebraska into a fierce rivalry was poorly received but it also left Minnesota and Nebraska as the only two schools in the “Quadrangle of Hate” portion of the Big Ten West Division who did not play for a trophy. The creation of the Freedom Trophy soured both fan bases to the idea of a MN/NE symbol to fight over. Everyone assumed the game on 11/22/14 would only about the win/loss column.

The Broken Chair is born

The Broken Chair is the first college football trophy created almost entirely by the internet and the story of it’s creation is why I and so many others have embraced it. A little bit of Twitter banter between the best mascot in college sports and a fantastic parody Twitter account set it all in motion:

The replies and responses to this request from Goldy’s Twitter account inspired those in and around the mascot to craft an actual Broken Chair Trophy.

The spirit squad brought the Broken Chair with them to Lincoln, Goldy paraded it about, and the best holder in Minnesota Football history celebrated with it when the Gophers won.An uncertain future
While the story of the Broken Chair was an internet sensation (of sorts) during the fall of 2014, its fate as a trophy embraced by both schools and their fans remained in doubt. Being “internet popular” doesn’t mean something is actually well known or liked, and no one was even sure what had happened to the Broken Chair Trophy after the game.

Slowly but surely though, there were signs that the Broken Chair might endure. It was added to Wikipedia, which as we all know is an immediate and enduring source of legitimacy. Goldy brought it to a couple of public events where the Jug and Floyd were also on display. But none of this was official.

As Minnesota/Nebraska 2015 approached, excitement around the Broken Chair grew. Peter Mortell announced the Chair was safe and continued to push for it to receive better recognition:

I went all in for making the Broken Chair into an officially recognized prize. And it wasn’t a Minnesota only affair, as Nebraska fans began to say publicly that the Chair was the only trophy that mattered.

The Broken Chair changes hands for a good cause
Even with the renewed excitement, there was no guarantee that the Broken Chair would be embraced by either team after the 2015 game. Some feared that if Nebraska won, no one would claim the trophy (a valid concern given the fate of the Civil ConFLiCT trophy this fall). Thankfully these fears were misplaced.

When Nebraska won last season, Goldy and Herbie Husker got together and took a big step in making the Broken Chair a more important part of Minnesota and Nebraska’s future.

The result? A trophy that was publicly celebrated by Husker players, their head coach, and the official Nebraska sports Twitter account.

What lies ahead for the Broken Chair Trophy?

In short, we don’t know for sure. There still seems to be a lot of support for the Broken Chair among both Minnesota and Nebraska internet communities and the wider CFB internet at large. I’ve seen some early indications that Herbie or some other member of the Nebraska sports team will make sure the Broken Chair will be ready to change hands again if Minnesota wins, but this isn’t confirmed.

There has been no official movement towards either Nebraska or Minnesota recognizing the Broken Chair as a sanctioned trophy game. Perhaps there never will be. To me, the Chair would remain perfect even if it never got beyond the level of a mascot led tradition that only a subset of the wider college football world ever knew about. But if the powers that be were to add the Broken Chair to a list that includes the Jug, the Pig, and the Axe, I’d certainly be ok with it.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2016/11/7/13556666/minnesota-nebraska-broken-chair-trophy-history

Top Bottom