Nebraska vs. Minnesota "Chair Trophy" is coming back!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

We're planning to use the popularity of the trophy to solicit donations to the Team Jack Foundation and the UMN Masonic Children's Hospital. Hopefully in the process we'll also give the fans, players, and schools an additional reason to embrace this really unique trophy.

We're planning to use the popularity of the trophy to solicit donations to the Team Jack Foundation and the UMN Masonic Children's Hospital. Hopefully in the process we'll also give the fans, players, and schools an additional reason to embrace this really unique trophy.
This^^^^^ 100% Awesome!

Love it....awesome idea....hopefully people really get behind it.

That's cool to see. I love trophy games, adds a nice touch to a rivalry game

I love being a fan of the team with *ALL* the best trophy games. This is awesome and organic and love that it has been resurrected. Much better than those goofy marketing gimmicky things other teams play for.

Show of hands - how many people like the Broken Chair better than the Governor's Victory Bell trophy?

I think everyone agrees and it's not close!

Yep, the Bell was a dumb idea right from the get go and should have been retired years ago because neither of the teams care much about it.

Show of hands - how many people like the Broken Chair better than the Governor's Victory Bell trophy?

Better? Sure. But that is like saying I like being punched in the face better than in the crotch. As far as I'm concerned both "trophies" can die a miserable death (although I hope DPO lives to be old and healthy).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really get why the bell is so hated. Can someone fill me in?

Pig
Axe
Jug

All go WAY back and have authenticate origin stories. Actual pigs, giant axes, and an actual jug used for water. So cool.

The bell? No authentic origin story. No actual rivalry felt between teams. Not so cool.

Better? Sure. But that is like saying I like being punched in the face better than in the crotch. As far as I'm concerned both "trophies" can die a miserable death (although I hope DPO lives to be old and healthy).

Why? What's the downside to having a trophy? Why would they cause you to be so bitter?

Personally, I think there should be more trophy games. That's part of the pageantry of college football and what makes it unique.

The Bell was created because MN was the first game that Penn St. played as a part of the B1G..... that was it.

There really isn't any rivalry there, and it seems like the bell commemorates some sort of administrative event more than anything else.

The Bell was created because MN was the first game that Penn St. played as a part of the B1G..... that was it.

There really isn't any rivalry there, and it seems like the bell commemorates some sort of administrative event more than anything else.

I agree, feels like the B1G tried to impose the bell. I like the grass roots development of the broken chair, more of a fan owned experience and Nebraska is here to stay as a long term rival in the B1G West

Why? What's the downside to having a trophy? Why would they cause you to be so bitter?

I don't like fake fabricated things, sayings, etc. that mean nothing and that folks are (and some do) supposed to eat up to "enhance" an event, situation, etc.

The Chair will always be above the Bell in my mind. The Chair obviously doesn't have the history of the Pig, Axe, and Jug but its origin story is at least authentic and a symbol of a 21st century grass-roots movement. The Bell was created by the "Powers That Be" and basically forced upon the fans. The fact that The Chair was taken away by boring people only to re-emerge makes it all the more cool. In 50 years, it will be a cool story. I don't hate on people for hating on The Chair, though. Traditions are never cool until they become traditions - a lot will actually depend on how the Minnesota/Nebraska rivalry develops over the years.

The jug has a story that is legendary http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/brown-jug.html

Floyd was a wager between two governers to diffuse tensions - http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2005/11/14_steilm_floydofrosedale/

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/brown-jug.html

The Slab Of Bacon /The Axe - https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/11/25/13742686/wisconsin-minnesota-axe-paul-bunyan-slab-bacon-rivalry-trophy

http://rivalrytrophy.com/product/slab-of-bacon-trophy/

The Slab "disappeared" in 1943, and was "discovered" in 1994. I think the stinking Badgers new they had it all along.
Maybe someone who has the Detlef Stein can offer it as a trade. We'd like it back.

The Governer's Victory Bell trophy? Meh. http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/victory-bell.html

The Broken Chair? Now that is a real people's trophy!

The crap trophies water down the importance of the legit trophy games that are real rivalries/have significance.

I agree, feels like the B1G tried to impose the bell. I like the grass roots development of the broken chair, more of a fan owned experience and Nebraska is here to stay as a long term rival in the B1G West

Yup the chair is fun stuff and the Nebraska rivalry while might be new-ish seems natural and fun too.

Yep, the Bell was a dumb idea right from the get go and should have been retired years ago because neither of the teams care much about it.

Totally agree. The bell was forced upon and therefore no one cares.

The chair trophy came about organically and people actually like it.

Retire the bell. It's a cheap piece of wood no one cares for.

It was the first of several Big Ten trophies that was strictly manufactured by the conference.

No legitimate basis for starting it. No story.

No bell was rung by a governor for years whenever the winning team would win.
No bell was left behind or stolen by the other team.

It's just a poorly constructed trophy with no culture behind it.

The chair is probably the best college football trophy created in the last 50 years. Awesome news. I love that we are going to win this battle over the kicks and screams of our University brain trusts. It's fun, it's for the fans, it's organic not forced, it's different, it's not corporate, and I love the idea of also using it to raise money for good causes. I'm absolutely thrilled!

Top Bottom