B1G releases 2020 & 2021 conference schedules

Playing Nebraska the last week also kicks aside their rivalry again Iowa the Friday after Thanksgiving...

Nebraska has always played on Black Friday (Colorado, then Iowa). I wonder if that continues vs. Minnesota?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nebraska has always played on Black Friday (Colorado, then Iowa). I wonder if that continues vs. Minnesota?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it predates that, pretty sure Nebraska used to play Oklahoma on Black Friday

11/28/2020 is a Saturday.

11/27/2021 is a Saturday too.

As I understand it, the U of MN has an agreement with the state fair board, running through 2022, that any home game before Labor Day will not be played on a Saturday. September 4th is before Labor day in 2021.

So - either the Fair Board is allowing the Gophers to change the agreement (not likely - the Fair Board thinks they run the State), or that game is going to be moved to Thursday or Friday.

Or really screw the fair and have it be the Sunday night ABC or FOX game:clap:

schedule thoughts

Why is it that on Sept 11, 2017 the B10 can tell me that Maryland is again coming to town on Oct 30, 2021 but can not tell me what time the two teams play on Sept 30, 2017 in the same venue!?!?!

Also I don't see the need to announce these so far in advance. What if the B10 expands to 16 teams (or more) before that? Maybe powerhouses will be patsies by then or vice-versa. Maryland with their new practice facility and Under Armour bucks could be big time by then.

Also, I hope the opening game continues to be played on Thursdays. I like it because I work downtown Mpls anyway and then use it as an excuse to start a 4 day weekend. I don't get the animosity towards the State Fair. The U uses their lot the other 6 games. Isn't it a trade? Personally, don't go to the fair but I know well over 100,000 will be there on that Saturday so why not avoid the hassle...

I'm not a fan of opening the season with conference games. I'm a traditionalist I guess.

I'm not a fan of opening the season with conference games. I'm a traditionalist I guess.

Same here. But we better get used to it as the Big Ten has given a fat middle finger to traditionalists with most of their recent decisions.

Why is it that on Sept 11, 2017 the B10 can tell me that Maryland is again coming to town on Oct 30, 2021 but can not tell me what time the two teams play on Sept 30, 2017 in the same venue!?!?!

Also I don't see the need to announce these so far in advance. What if the B10 expands to 16 teams (or more) before that? Maybe powerhouses will be patsies by then or vice-versa. Maryland with their new practice facility and Under Armour bucks could be big time by then.

Because the Big Ten doesn't really control the time slots....that seems to mostly come from the TV networks. They want to get the biggest matchup possible in their prime windows, so it makes sense to push off the network/kickoff time announcement as long as possible.

I don't get the rotation with the big east when we play against Maryland all but one year from 2016-2021. 5 out of 6 years for a team we should see 3 out of 7 years if rotation was intended to play everyone the same amount.

Thought the same thing. We haven't played in Bloomington since 2013, and won't until 2021. Indiana comes here next season so we'll play them 1 damn time in 9 years, but play Maryland every season? Makes zero sense.

Its even worse than that. Since schedule is now out through 2021, we've now guaranteed that Hoosiers will travel to TCF just ONCE(!!!!) in a span of 13 seasons. Are we even in the same conference as them?

FWIW playing opener as a conference game isn't unprecedented. We kicked off season in 1993 and 1994 vs Penn State.

I don't get the rotation with the big east when we play against Maryland all but one year from 2016-2021. 5 out of 6 years for a team we should see 3 out of 7 years if rotation was intended to play everyone the same amount.

Every Big Ten team is assigned an annual opponent in the opposite division from 2016 through 2019. Series played each year during that cycle include Wisconsin-Michigan, Nebraska-Ohio State, Iowa-Penn State, Northwestern-Michigan State, Illinois-Rutgers, Minnesota-Maryland and Purdue-Indiana. Spanning that four-year scheduling cycle, every school will compete against two other cross-divisional opponents twice and four opponents once.

Indiana-Purdue is considered the only permanent cross-divisional rivalry. The other 12 schools will rotate “permanent” rivals for another four-year block.

https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/big-ten-not-ready-to-announce-football-schedules-beyond-2019

I think they want to build a quadrant rivalry between NE-IA-MN-WI were there's no long term final game rival. The East might be doing something similar with MSU-PSU-RUT-MD.

From USA Today:

"The idea (is) let's play more conference games early on because our fans tend to gravitate more toward conference games than some of the nonconference games our teams are playing," Rudner said.
The tweak to the schedule the final week in 2020 and 2021, Rudner said, was a result of the Big Ten wanting to "mix and match" rivalries.

Saw an article in the Strib where MN and NEB are actively discussing the idea of moving the season-ending games to Black Friday instead of Saturday. NEB apparently likes the Friday game instead of playing on Saturday on Thanksgiving weekend.

From my selfish point of view, the MN Prep Bowl - State HS FB championship games - are played on that Friday and Saturday. If one of the local HS teams is playing for a State Title, that's a tough choice - which game do I watch live and which one gets the DVR treatment?

On the other hand, guys - if you want to watch FB all day, just give your significant other the credit card and let her go in search of Black Friday specials. I'm sure it won't get TOO expensive......

Saw an article in the Strib where MN and NEB are actively discussing the idea of moving the season-ending games to Black Friday instead of Saturday. NEB apparently likes the Friday game instead of playing on Saturday on Thanksgiving weekend.

From my selfish point of view, the MN Prep Bowl - State HS FB championship games - are played on that Friday and Saturday. If one of the local HS teams is playing for a State Title, that's a tough choice - which game do I watch live and which one gets the DVR treatment?

On the other hand, guys - if you want to watch FB all day, just give your significant other the credit card and let her go in search of Black Friday specials. I'm sure it won't get TOO expensive......

With the MOA (BWW) or Southdale (Dave & Busters), you both can go to the mall. You spend all day at the restaurant, while shopping gets done. The SO can come meet you for lunch (and dinner). A win-win!!!!

Top Bottom