Doogie Tweet: Gophers Might Not Have All Their Regulars UPDATED: Croft won't play Sat

It sounds like Fleck threw Croft in the doghouse, hid the key and it is Croft's job to find it in order to get out. This does not sound good. Hopefully Croft keeps his nose clean for the remainder of his college career or he could very well be outta here.

my source says its the devils cabbage.

Year Zero is a Bill Connelly (I think) coined term to refer to a head coach coming into an absolute train wreck, dumpster fire situation. Think Jerry Kill in 2011...crap talent, terrible academics, etc. It means that it will take the new coach a full season to clean up the mess left behind by his predecessor, and therefore the clock really doesn't start to tick on his rebuild until his 2nd season in charge.
Thank you for clarifying.
I don't really see Fleck's downplaying expectations having a relationship to Croft not meeting the team rules off the field though.

The range of theories in here is mind boggling.

True and you gotta take most of it lightly. Apparently there are people who think a player getting sat down or suspended for their actions, has never happened before.

It sounds like Fleck threw Croft in the doghouse, hid the key and it is Croft's job to find it in order to get out. This does not sound good. Hopefully Croft keeps his nose clean for the remainder of his college career or he could very well be outta here.
What are you basing any of this on? Devers missed two games (it appears). What did Fleck say about Croft that's any different from what he said about Devers?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just listened to Jon Krawcynski on with Barreiro and he made it sound like it has been something that has been ongoing.
Said he isn't kicked off team.
Had some idea of what the issue was, but didn't want to say it because he wanted to be sure of it first.
Said that Croft has some growing up to do.

my source says its the devils cabbage.

He's not the only guy with that. According to my sources there have been others who have been with the team that are no longer due to said herbal. There also are still players that I hope don't continue to go down this path but easily could.

One thing I don't understand about Gopherhole is how seemingly every poster here has "sources", but none of the reporters who cover this team for a living can track down the story.

That being said, my sources say with certainty, on the record that they have no idea why he's out this weekend.

One thing I don't understand about Gopherhole is how seemingly every poster here has "sources", but none of the reporters who cover this team for a living can track down the story.

That being said, my sources say with certainty, on the record that they have no idea why he's out this weekend.

For sure there is a lot of BS posted on here, but to be fair, a reporter has to put his name on a report and may not want to do that for a variety of reasons that will affect future relationships. A place like GH allows someone to do that anonymously which can be a benefit. You have to take the good with the bad I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a DC11 fan, but no one player or coach is bigger than the program. I have no issues with suspending any player if it is a fact they violated some agreed upon rule.

As for Cruze - can you please tell me what happened under the previous regime that wasn't disciplined? A bowl event meltdown and stolen iPhone come to mind that would dispute your claim.

Whatever the infraction or issue is, I hope the rest of the team is taking careful note.
There is a new sheriff in town, and it ain't Denny Green.

I heard it was murder, and stealing from the church collection plate.

Year Zero for Fleck (and Coyle) is culture change on and off the football field. If a QB doesn't fall on a fumble he sits on the bench and loses his chance to be named the starter. If a QB damages a girls dorm room though his roughhousing he is suspended for the next game. The chances are close to zero either of those things would have happened under the previous coaching staff.

If you are anything other than a troll, it's predictable. Even threw Coyle into the comment.

I'd like to believe this is all just a big coincidence & that Croft's personal issues just happened to coincide with him not be named starter, but quotes like this from the Strib give me cause for doubt:

"Fleck did say if players don’t abide by the team’s culture, they won’t play."

I'd like to believe this is all just a big coincidence & that Croft's personal issues just happened to coincide with him not be named starter, but quotes like this from the Strib give me cause for doubt:

"Fleck did say if players don’t abide by the team’s culture, they won’t play."

So Fleck saying that he named Rhoda starter before Croft's personal issues happened is a lie?

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/12/gophers-quarterback-demry-croft-to-be-away-from-team/

On Monday, Fleck named Conor Rhoda the starting quarterback after a battle with Croft that lasted throughout preseason camp and into the first two games of the season. Fleck said the decision to start Rhoda was made prior to Croft’s issues.
“Absolutely, this is not a reaction to what had happened,” Fleck said. “… Conor was informed of (being named the starter) before.”

Hopefully it gets cleared up whatever it is.

I think all we need to know is it was personal and that's all we need to know right now.
What matters is that we're changing the culture here for the better.

Hopefully it gets cleared up whatever it is.

I think all we need to know is it was personal and that's all we need to know right now.
<b>What matters is that we're changing the culture here for the better.</b>

By having your prize recruit for the next year suspended in high school for similar "personal" reasons?

The positive incentives have been, amongst other things, scholarships to walk ones for work on and off the field. Change is hard. Harder if you're a knucklehead.

The positive incentives have been, amongst other things, scholarships to walk ones for work on and off the field. Change is hard. Harder if you're a knucklehead.
Don't most coaches reward walk ons for work on and off the field? That's not unique to fleck. The method was unique.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

So Fleck saying that he named Rhoda starter before Croft's personal issues happened is a lie?

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/12/gophers-quarterback-demry-croft-to-be-away-from-team/

On Monday, Fleck named Conor Rhoda the starting quarterback after a battle with Croft that lasted throughout preseason camp and into the first two games of the season. Fleck said the decision to start Rhoda was made prior to Croft’s issues.
“Absolutely, this is not a reaction to what had happened,” Fleck said. “… Conor was informed of (being named the starter) before.”

No. Fleck never said Rhoda would play 100% of the snaps....just that Rhoda was going to start.

“If you do not do the right thing academically, athletically, socially and spiritually

This is the part that always bugs me. Just wouldn't like him pushing it, but it must work for him.

“If you do not do the right thing academically, athletically, socially and spiritually

This is the part that always bugs me. Just wouldn't like him pushing it, but it must work for him.

Talk to the coach long enough, and he’ll bring up spirituality. He wants his men to be healthy spiritually, he says, and to care for them in that way. But he isn’t talking religion, specifically. He points out that he coaches players of every religion, from Muslims to Catholics to Jews. Some embrace organized religion; others don’t. He just wants them to consider something bigger. “If you don’t believe in religion,” he says, “believe in this football team.”

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/07/25/pj-fleck-row-boat-minnesota

It kind of bugs me too if it's meant that they need to live as a Christian (I'm Christian, just don't think it would be right for a coach to force it on his players). BUT - then I looked up the definition of spirituality and here it is: the quality of being concerned with the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things. If that's what he means, then I think I'm ok with it.

Talk to the coach long enough, and he’ll bring up spirituality. He wants his men to be healthy spiritually, he says, and to care for them in that way. But he isn’t talking religion, specifically. He points out that he coaches players of every religion, from Muslims to Catholics to Jews. Some embrace organized religion; others don’t. He just wants them to consider something bigger. “If you don’t believe in religion,” he says, “believe in this football team.”

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/07/25/pj-fleck-row-boat-minnesota

Thanks, that does help explain.

I never consider spirituality to be religion. What he's doing fits in much better than what I was assuming.

From later in today's presser: "The way we talk about spirituality is believ in something bigger than yourself. That could be this water bottle. That could be the team. It doesn't have anything to do with religion."

I love bottles of water. That makes perfect sense.

Top Bottom