Streveler is at it again

Doc1001

Reaction score
In his first two games for south dakota he has either run or passed for 10 touchdowns. So--the last coaching regime had him and Rhoda starting them right in the face and they didnt want either one.

Rhoda does so-so vs Buffalo and goes 7 for 8 vs Oregon St with a great running game backing him up.

Steveler goes to South Dakota and does well.

Suddenly they're Joe Montana and Steve Young....

Streveler left because he was behind someone. To say we didn't want him is a stretch. Had he stayed, and with Johnson being the O coordinator, I could see where he might have been the starting QB.
Rhoda DID NOT fit what Claeys and Johnson were planning to do offensively. See the thread on that if you need a refresher.

Rhoda does so-so vs Buffalo and goes 7 for 8 vs Oregon St with a great running game backing him up.

More like Steve Montana and Joe Young.

Not unlike this time last year when Devers was the best DE in Gopher history.

Not unlike how TJ6 has already established himself as best WR since Decker.

Not unlike how PJ deserves a raise and extension.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not unlike this time last year when Devers was the best DE in Gopher history.

Not unlike how TJ6 has already established himself as best WR since Decker.

Not unlike how PJ deserves a raise and extension.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Oregon St.

The Kingmaker

For better or worse, Kill and then Claeys decided that Leidner was "their guy," and he was going to play as long as he was healthy. (or even reasonably healthy.) Then, they messed around with moving Streveler to another position, so it was clear he was not "their guy" at QB, and he chose to go elsewhere.

Good for him that he found a place that wanted him and he's playing well.

With Rhoda, as has been discussed before, Claeys & Co. decided Rhoda was not what they wanted in a QB. They coached him, they had a chance to evaluate him in practice, so it's not like they were blindfolded or drunk when they made their decision. You can disagree with that decision, but that was the decision they made. It may very well be that Rhoda is just a better fit for Fleck's system. Or he got a lot better in the off-season.

In his first two games for south dakota he has either run or passed for 10 touchdowns. So--the last coaching regime had him and Rhoda starting them right in the face and they didnt want either one.

Great take troll

We are comparing this year to last year and even two years ago. Two years is a developmental lifetime for 20 year olds and 1-2 game is a small fraction of a season in which to evaluate success. I'm thrilled I don't have to watch Leidner anymore after that toilet flush 2nd half performance in Wisconsin last year, but seems awefully tough to compare the players side-by-side when so many variables have changed.

Streveler left because he was behind someone. To say we didn't want him is a stretch. Had he stayed, and with Johnson being the O coordinator, I could see where he might have been the starting QB.
Rhoda DID NOT fit what Claeys and Johnson were planning to do offensively. See the thread on that if you need a refresher.

Kill moved Streveler to wide receiver. He may have wanted him, but not at QB. Johnson didn't have a chance to coach him at either position.

Yeah, but can you trust them to not throw away games with interceptions at key moments? No, you need to go with experience. ;)

Too bad stats at South Dakota don't translate to the Gophers and the B1G...

STrib: Former Gophers QB Chris Streveler, FCS player of the week, thriving for South Dakota

His bachelor’s degree from the University of Minnesota in hand in the spring of 2016, Chris Streveler set out to find a home. It was time for a new football beginning, time for something different after being a quarterback converted to a wide receiver for the Gophers.

The Crystal Lake, Ill., native had two seasons of eligibility remaining and options at his disposal.

He wound at the University of South Dakota, earned the starting quarterback job for the Coyotes last year and is putting together a standout senior season.

“This was the only visit I took,” Streveler said of USD, located in Vermillion. “I fell in love with it.”

The same could be said about the Coyotes and their relationship with Streveler after last weekend.

http://m.startribune.com/former-gop...ng-for-south-dakota/444469223/?section=sports

Go Gophers!!

Strev has earned one master's degree, and is working on a 2nd master's degree. Two bleeping master's degrees, and the FCS player of the week. Even if it's not D1, that's still pretty darn impressive.

I don't pretend to know what was going on with the Kill/Claeys regime when it came to the QB position. But, I still think that Streveler could have played for the Gophers and done a decent job. He certainly seems to be doing well in the USD system. Which reinforces the notion that Kill, Limey and later Claeys and Johnson kept too tight a rein on the QB's.

I always thought he would have been a good linebacker or Hback/tightend.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Strev didn't fit with what Kill wanted to do at all, would've actually had a shot if Claeys would've been the coach and wouldn't be playing under Fleck at all due to offensive philosophies.

Strev didn't fit with what Kill wanted to do at all, would've actually had a shot if Claeys would've been the coach and wouldn't be playing under Fleck at all due to offensive philosophies.
This post makes no sense. You telling me that Claeys had a different offensive approach than Kill? Looked the same to me.

This post makes no sense. You telling me that Claeys had a different offensive approach than Kill? Looked the same to me.

Long term Kill wanted to go with an under center play action based passing game but kept some read option concepts here and there because of familiarity. Claeys wanted to go full on mobile QB read option long term.

Highlights. Nice running ability, check out 3:18. Seems to have equivalent arm to Rhoda, i.e. Won't blow you away with strength but hit hits in stride across the middle. Assuming all other things equal in the quarterbacking department would have been an interesting competition IMO. Caveat is this is against a bad FBS team but that's what we've faced thus far.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SuDPyK69r4M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It would have been interesting to see how Johnson would have handled the offense given a couple of years to get his players in the system. The Limegrover passing game looked like it was designed by a Pee Wee coach, so no passer was going to look particularly good.

Strev has earned one master's degree, and is working on a 2nd master's degree. Two bleeping master's degrees, and the FCS player of the week. Even if it's not D1, that's still pretty darn impressive.

I don't pretend to know what was going on with the Kill/Claeys regime when it came to the QB position. But, I still think that Streveler could have played for the Gophers and done a decent job. He certainly seems to be doing well in the USD system. Which reinforces the notion that Kill, Limey and later Claeys and Johnson kept too tight a rein on the QB's.

It is D1.

It would have been interesting to see how Johnson would have handled the offense given a couple of years to get his players in the system. The Limegrover passing game looked like it was designed by a Pee Wee coach, so no passer was going to look particularly good.

Yeah I wonder the same. Folks talk about the TC offense but it was Johnson's first year and all... I'm not sure how much we know what that would have been.

Is South Dakota's coach the same guy that coached Duluth to 2 national championships?

Sent from my Coolpad 3320A using Tapatalk

Highlights. Nice running ability, check out 3:18. Seems to have equivalent arm to Rhoda, i.e. Won't blow you away with strength but hit hits in stride across the middle. Assuming all other things equal in the quarterbacking department would have been an interesting competition IMO. Caveat is this is against a bad FBS team but that's what we've faced thus far.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SuDPyK69r4M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He was always a good runner - and has a quick release throwing here, plus accuracy.

Whatever. Fantasy football is real too.

This isn't an attack on you, because I kind of agree, but why did Kill recruit and sign him in he wasn't a fit for what he wanted to do offensively? Our QB recruiting/roster management was certainly baffling under the previous regime. Shortell was run off because he wasn't mobile enough, Streveler didn't get a chance because he was seen as "only" mobile, and Rhoda abandoned for unknown reasons. What a cluster.

Top Bottom