MTSU starting QB (and coaches son) undergoing MRI

Really depends on the severity of the break and the only reason I know is I did the same thing in college playing rugby. Fractured my collar bone and kept playing-didn't realize it was fractured until three weeks later it still hurt and an xray showed the fracture. Guess that makes me tough but not a kid anymore

Greetings Gopher fans. Officially, we have not heard whether Brent will play Saturday; however, (and this will sound odd) if he doesn't face life threatening situation by playing I expect he will play. The early concern I heard before the MRI was upper separated ribs.

For all the moaning and whining from the Syracuse fans about "aggressive penalties", it was a late hit (not called of course because they were ACC refs) that caused this current injury. It was a designed run play and Brent was tackled and on his left side. He was already on the ground and one of the big defensive linemen jumped on top of him.

Last year, when he broke his collar bone, he finished that particular series after it happened. After he came to the sidelines, the doctors checked him and told him that if we back in the game it could kill him as the clavicle was completely broken and could have punctured his heart if hit the right way. They still had to take his helmet away.

As a senior in high school playing in the quarterfinals of the playoffs this happened to him:
Siegel football fans’ worst fear came true Saturday. Siegel quarterback and Mr. Football finalist Brent Stockstill was diagnosed with a torn ACL and partially torn meniscus in his right knee.
http://usatodayhss.com/2012/siegels-stockstill-tears-acl

He actually played in the semifinal game on the torn ACL. All he did there was complete 23-of-35 passes for 373 yards and 4 TDs.

He missed three games last year at the end of the season but came back for the bowl game. He was a little rusty and actually tore the labrum in his throwing shoulder during the game (no one knew until afterwards and he had another surgery in January to repair that) but still threw for over 400 yards and 4 TDs. He's one tough hombre.

We were terrible last year defensively. The Tyrone Nix set back and wait for the offense come to you strategy was hard to watch. Shafer has come in and already fixed a lot of those problems. Our biggest problem now has been the offensive line. Lost three starters that really made a big difference in all the offensive numbers put up last year. That's why we lost to Vandy. Couldn't block their front four. Brent got hit every time he threw the ball. Last year he was only sacked like seven or eight times the entire season. Did a little better against Syracuse.

Should be a good game. Cheers.

Greetings Gopher fans. Officially, we have not heard whether Brent will play Saturday; however, (and this will sound odd) if he doesn't face life threatening situation by playing I expect he will play. The early concern I heard before the MRI was upper separated ribs.

For all the moaning and whining from the Syracuse fans about "aggressive penalties", it was a late hit (not called of course because they were ACC refs) that caused this current injury. It was a designed run play and Brent was tackled and on his left side. He was already on the ground and one of the big defensive linemen jumped on top of him.

Last year, when he broke his collar bone, he finished that particular series after it happened. After he came to the sidelines, the doctors checked him and told him that if we back in the game it could kill him as the clavicle was completely broken and could have punctured his heart if hit the right way. They still had to take his helmet away.

As a senior in high school playing in the quarterfinals of the playoffs this happened to him:
Siegel football fans’ worst fear came true Saturday. Siegel quarterback and Mr. Football finalist Brent Stockstill was diagnosed with a torn ACL and partially torn meniscus in his right knee.

He actually played in the semifinal game on the torn ACL. All he did there was complete 23-of-35 passes for 373 yards and 4 TDs.

He missed three games last year at the end of the season but came back from the bowl game. He was a little rusty and actually tore the labrum in his throwing shoulder during the game (no one knew until afterwards and he had another surgery in January to repair that) but still threw for over 400 yards and 4 TDs. He's one tough hombre.

We were terrible last year defensively. The Tyrone Nix set back and wait for the offense come to you strategy was hard to watch. Shafer has come in and already fixed a lot of those problems. Our biggest problem now has been the offensive line. Lost three starters that really made a big difference in all the offensive numbers put up last year. That's why we lost to Vandy. Couldn't block their front four. Brent got hit every time he threw the ball. Last year he was only sack like seven or eight times the entire season. Did a little better against Syracuse.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but it begs the question whether it's in MTSU's and Stockstill's best interest (considering your full season and season goals) for him to play this weekend. Not going to help you win a conference title whether you win or lose, but if your QB isn't 100% there is some pretty real risk you could lose more than this game.

He's likely going to be hit and maybe hit often, by a pretty good and hard hitting defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but it begs the question whether it's in MTSU's and Stockstill's best interest (considering your full season and season goals) for him to play this weekend. Not going to help you win a conference title whether you win or lose, but if your QB isn't 100% there is some pretty real risk you could lose more than this game.

He's likely going to be hit and maybe hit often, by a pretty good and hard hitting defense.

It's not a bad point. A win over Minn isn't going to make or break our season. Time will tell whose defense is better between yours and Vandy's but I flew down to Murfreesboro for that game and that's the best Vandy defense we've faced since we started playing them back in early 2000's. That was a legit SEC defense that will give a lot of SEC offenses problems. It was just unfortunate that we had to open with them with three inexperienced O-linemen who had never started before.

He missed three games last year at the end of the season but came back for the bowl game. He was a little rusty and actually tore the labrum in his throwing shoulder during the game (no one knew until afterwards and he had another surgery in January to repair that) but still threw for over 400 yards and 4 TDs. He's one tough hombre.

We were terrible last year defensively. The Tyrone Nix set back and wait for the offense come to you strategy was hard to watch. Shafer has come in and already fixed a lot of those problems. Our biggest problem now has been the offensive line. Lost three starters that really made a big difference in all the offensive numbers put up last year. That's why we lost to Vandy. Couldn't block their front four. Brent got hit every time he threw the ball. Last year he was only sacked like seven or eight times the entire season. Did a little better against Syracuse.

How do you feel humidity will affect the game?

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

I hope he's okay (long-term) but I hope he is out for our game. Turns it from a toss-up to a likely win for us.

Questions for you:
1. Just sitting 1 for targeting call, correct? First 1/2?
2. Daily Orange (student newspaper) whined about faking injuries. Did you, as a fan question any or was it Syracuse sour grapes?
3. Any specific things you are looking for in terms of your team improvement?
4. Where do you think Stockstill be drafted? Round?

1. Walter Brady top DE will be out for first half. He claims he was blocked into the QB. Not sure if they tried to appeal.

2. Hard to say. There was definitely one that was fake, but it wasn't to slow down Syracuse's offense. It was to avoid too many men on the field penalty. We ended up calling a TO anyway before the refs saw it. Always hard to know but the others looked like legit injuries after TV showed the replays. Can easily see how they could have been hurt. Not all of them that went down returned. No one faked a cramp - except for the one DB who was trying to avoid the aforementioned substitution penalty. So some of both in there probably. Syracuse fans did a lot of whining about everything.

3. For us, it's the O-line. If the OL can protect Brent enough we will score points. If you sit back he will pick it apart. If he is blitzed he will salivate on the one-on-one match-ups. The receivers though not big could play for any P5. Last year top 10/15 in just about every major offensive statistical category even w/o Brent for last quarter of the season. Richie James is on pace to set every NCAA receiving record. But if they can't pass protect then it all falls apart. We also need them to do better in run blocking. Not recognized enough but a lot of Tony Franklin's system is predicated on play action pass. The game will be won and lost by what happens between our OL and your DL.

4. Not sure he's going to be high on draft boards. He's only 6'0" and you know how the NFL thinks about QB's that are anything less than 6'4". Though he's not a skinny dude I think they will also be concerned by his injury history regardless of his toughness. He's an elite college QB but not sure that's going to translate to the NFL. He isn't going to wow you with his physical attributes, but is extremely accurate, has one of the quickest releases in the country, and is one of the few college QB's that (with enough time) can read defenses and go through all the progressions. Case in point, the game winning touchdown against Cuse was a check down to the running back (and fourth option).

I have 2 takeaways from this thread:
1. When isn't this dude hurt?
2. MTSU has fan message boards?

I heard a rumor that Nate Mason might suit up to redeem himself for the NCAA matchup against MTSU.

Thanks for the great info MTRaider. Sounds like a dangerous offense and I have respect for your team and it's ability to throw a wrench in our non conference season.

Are you sure they were ACC refs? I thought most (all?) non-conference games had refs from other conferences but I could be wrong

Based on that analysis I'd be surprised if he needed to play 4 quarters. Game should be over at halftime.

"The game will be won and lost by what happens between our OL and your DL."

I hope this is true because if that is the case, I like our chances.

This game has actually scared me more than the first two simply because of their skill players on offense. Statistically this is another pretty bad defense we will be facing (based on last year and who they lost), and I'd expect more ball control grinding and play action from Ciarrocca. Rhoda will need to step up and convert when called on.

From what I gather they run a quick hitter spread O? The defense will be tested so this should be really interesting to watch. Bend but don't break, give up early scores, batter their QB and take control in the second half. We've seen this story before.

Gophers are 19-0 in non-conference games vs teams not named TCU in last six years.

Are you sure they were ACC refs? I thought most (all?) non-conference games had refs from other conferences but I could be wrong

You are thinking about bowl games.

There is no hard set rule here. Most of the time when there is a major match-up (like Oklahoma /Ohio State game) the officials may be negotiated in the contract in advance. Otherwise, if not written into the contract the home team is responsible for the officials. I can assure you the refs will be Big 10 Conference referees on Saturday. When there is a million plus guarantee for these games the one paying out isn't going to be stuck with another conference's officials. It's just another one of the many disadvantages and way of life of being outside of the power conference construct.

You are thinking about bowl games.

There is no hard set rule here. Most of the time when there is a major match-up (like Oklahoma /Ohio State game) the officials may be negotiated in the contract in advance. Otherwise, if not written into the contract the home team is responsible for the officials. I can assure you the refs will be Big 10 Conference referees on Saturday. When there is a million plus guarantee for these games the one paying out isn't going to be stuck with another conference's officials. It's just another one of the many disadvantages and way of life of being outside of the power conference construct.

Really? Our Home Opener vs the Buffalo Bulls had MAC referees and the game last weekend @Oregon State had Big Ten Referees...

I think the referees just draw their assignments for the week out of a hat... Then they trade and negotiate... :drink:drink:drink:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Like I said, negotiated in the contract before hand. I won't dispute you on the Buffalo game, but I would have to see it to believe it.

Like I said, negotiated in the contract before hand. I won't dispute you on the Buffalo game, but I would have to see it to believe it.

Having #B1Grefs will not help the Gophers, if in fact that's the case Saturday. History has repeatedly shown that #B1Grefs will screw the Gophers more than our opponent, regardless of the opponent or location.

FWIW, the referee for the Buffalo game was Greg Sujack. He is a former MAC official now a Big 10 ref.

Top Bottom