MTSU starting QB (and coaches son) undergoing MRI

The Gophers should definitely win, but I still wouldn't be shocked at an upset. All it takes is a couple of turnovers and a game can change quickly.

Can't believe the dicks on this board when an opposing fan comes on here and is nothing but respectable and giving good insight. Makes you guys look like big time ass clowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. MTRaider is doing zero trash talking and has provided good stuff only be insulted.

Can't believe the dicks on this board when an opposing fan comes on here and is nothing but respectable and giving good insight. Makes you guys look like big time ass clowns.

We are big time ass clowns. I'd drop the ass part but whatever.

I have to say that at least this guy didn't come on telling us how their team is so much better than last year because they replaced productive seniors with x,y,z freshman that is an athletic freak. Seems pretty realistic. I was really looking forward to seeing Stockstill so that's a major bummer.

Or like you guys did earlier this year during the NCAA Tournament. I read those threads too.

Most everyone knew it we got an extremely tough draw. And there was a group of your fans trolling gopher fans on twitter like crazy. Like were searching hard to find anything they felt was disrespectful. Never seen it that bad.

Anyways, good luck tomorrow. No matter the result, I just hope everyone comes out healthy.

+1000

Holding teams to mid twenty points is not the definition of a good defense. Vandy's offense = not good. All of Syracuse = dumpster fire. 2016 Missouri = dumpster fire. Nobody on the 2017 MTSU roster played in that victory over a 7-6 Georgia Tech. This ain't basketball, sweetheart. I respect your QB and WR, but your defense hasn't earned squat. Best of luck with MTSU's TOP tomorrow.

Actually their PPG allowed in better than >50% of FBS teams and would have been in the top 40 last year. Why you such d!ckweed to someone who comes on the board without an agenda and who isn't trolling anyone. Go back under your rock.

How dare Gopherholers debate statements made by an opposing fan? Clearly the answer is to call them names.

MTRaider clearly wants his coach to fail. He deserves what he gets.

Actually their PPG allowed in better than >50% of FBS teams and would have been in the top 40 last year. Why you such d!ckweed to someone who comes on the board without an agenda and who isn't trolling anyone. Go back under your rock.

Wow, I lol, wow. I apologize?

Hi all,

Just a comment or two..

One, quit being idiots to the MTSU fan who comes in peace. I'd actually appreciate seeing competing fans offer good insight on their program just the way this guy did. He's not talking trash. People are too thin skinned about this.

Second..

This MTSU QB sounds like the ultimate coach's son. And I mean that positively and negatively. "Oh he's tough and plays hurt!" Great. Until his brain is in a jar being studied after he has passes away at too young of an age because his dad wanted him to be a hero.

Anyway... if that's the life his dad wants for his kid. So be it, but if your kid is getting injured as often as this kid is... you get what you get.

Serious question: When will we find out if this guy is playing? Like approximately what time tomorrow?

I need to know when to put my bet in.

You get your panties all in a twist about alleged insults toward a random anonymous fan of an opposing team, but you and many others post seriously derogatory, defamatory, and cruel posts toward our own ex-coach daily. See the irony?

According to this article from today, Stockstill is expected to play.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...eb843a-9a5e-11e7-af6a-6555caaeb8dc_story.html

MINNEAPOLIS — Conor Rhoda is taking over for good as Minnesota’s quarterback.

Brent Stockstill may have a banged-up shoulder, but he says he won’t let it stop him from leading Middle Tennessee State on another upset quest.

Quarterbacks will be the center of attention when the Golden Gophers (2-0) host the Blue Raiders on Saturday, hoping to deliver a little payback after Middle Tennessee eliminated Minnesota in the NCAA men’s basketball tournament in March.

Rhoda shared the job with Demry Croft through the first two weeks of the season, with coach P.J. Fleck openly hoping to see one of the two grab hold of the job through his performance on the field and leadership off of it. After a 48-14 victory over Oregon State in which Croft was benched for much of the game because of a fumble, Fleck made the call to make Rhoda the starter.

“It’s a really great feeling, obviously,” Rhoda said this week. “Just going through everything I’ve gone through over the last five years, there were a lot of days I thought this would never happen. It just really brings everything full circle and shows all the hard work I put in.”

That decision was only strengthened when Fleck announced on Tuesday that Croft would not be with the team against the Blue Raiders because of an unspecified disciplinary matter. It remains unclear how long Croft will be out, but Fleck intimated that it would be for more than just one week.

“Nothing ever will sacrifice the culture,” Fleck said. “Winning won’t, either, or having two quarterbacks, that will never compromise our culture.”

There is no debate who leads the Blue Raiders (1-1). Stockstill owns Middle Tennessee career records for touchdown passes and yards passing per game and has endeared himself to teammates with his toughness. Last week in a victory over Syracuse he finished the game despite taking a crunching hit to the shoulder. He led touchdown drives on three straight possessions in the second half of the 30-23 victory.

“He’s done it all his life,” said Raiders coach Rick Stockstill, Brent’s father. “That game, especially in the second half after he got hurt, to do what he did was pretty incredible. I think it rallied our offense behind him. The toughness that not only he showed but our team showed, was pretty special.”

Brent Stockstill had an MRI earlier this week, but said he expected to play on Saturday.

“I’m doing good. Just got a little banged up,” he said. “That’s part of the game, part of playing the position.”

Here are some things to watch in the game on Saturday:

RUNNING QB

Brent Stockstill carried the ball 11 times for 41 yards in the win over Syracuse. Coach Rick Stockstill was asked if he would prefer his QB not to run as often in hopes of avoiding injury. But he didn’t believe the shoulder injury should change the way his son plays. “As ineffective as we’ve been running the ball early this season, we need everybody we can to contribute,” Rick Stockstill said. “He’s done a really nice job from that standpoint.”

FAMILIAR FACES

Fleck and Rick Stockstill have met before, when Fleck’s Western Michigan team played Middle Tennessee in the Bahamas Bowl in 2015. The Broncos beat the Blue Raiders 45-31 to snap a six-game bowl losing streak. That experience does not figure to help Stockstill much in preparing for the Gophers. “I’m sure he did some things at Western Michigan that he’s not doing at Minnesota because he’s got some different personnel. ... I don’t think that will have any bearing whatsoever,” he said.

GROUND GAME

The Gophers figured to have a strong rushing attack this season with two dynamic running backs returning to the mix in Shannon Brooks and Rodney Smith. They got off to a slow start in the season-opening win over Buffalo, but were much more successful last week against the Beavers. Brooks rushed for 91 yards and three touchdowns, Smith ran for 92 yards and a score. Fleck thinks staying committed to the inside zone run game in the opener against Buffalo despite its struggles primed them for the success they had last week. “That will be a staple as long as I’m your head football coach, so we had to establish that,” Fleck said. “Because there’s going to be a time that that’s what we need to call, and we need to get two yards and that’s our bread and butter or whatever it is, that’s why we have to do those things.”

One, quit being idiots to the MTSU fan who comes in peace. I'd actually appreciate seeing competing fans offer good insight on their program just the way this guy did. He's not talking trash. <b>People are too thin skinned about this.</b>

You mean like "some" are about shots at PJ?

Too Rich. Really.

If he plays it is both surprising and it isn't. If you guys knew the injury you would say no way in hell he plays. Not only would he not play today but he probably would not play for a few weeks. It's not the shoulder by the way. It's a little lower.

Do fans down there think he's risking the season by playing today and if so why is his Dad playing him. Is he more concerned about beating another Power 5 team than having a good overall season?

If he plays it is both surprising and it isn't. If you guys knew the injury you would say no way in hell he plays. Not only would he not play today but he probably would not play for a few weeks. It's not the shoulder by the way. It's a little lower.

Forgive my ignorance, as I haven't been following this thread much. But why are you being coy about his injury? Why not just say what you know?

I would expect a heavy dose of their run game and a lot of quick passes. There's no way in hell can withstand many hits if he in fact has broken ribs.

Forgive my ignorance, as I haven't been following this thread much. But why are you being coy about his injury? Why not just say what you know?

He's probably a hockey fan.

He may not finish the game but with reports of other QBs playing through bruised or even cracked ribs the Stockstill's are going to give it the old college try.

I hear that Tai'yon Devers is back today for Minnesota.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uyRSYQrARnU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hear that Tai'yon Devers is back today for Minnesota.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uyRSYQrARnU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looking for a strong game from him today. However he does need to play his game and not try to be overzealous in doing things he shouldn't be doing.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom