P.J. Fleck names Conor Rhoda starting quarterback

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have named Conor Rhoda the starting quarterback, per Andy Greder of the Pioneer Press. Rhoda led the Gophers to a 48-14 win Saturday night against Oregon State. He completed 7 of his 8 passes for 158 yards and a touchdown.

Fleck addressed the decision on his afternoon Facebook Live appearance. “I thought [Rhoda] earned it in the leadership role." He added, "I feel very comfortable with him running our offense."

The Gophers used a 9-to-5 drive split between Rhoda and Demry Croft in week one, but Rhoda took all but three series during Saturday night's game against Oregon State. Croft fumbled a snap, but bounced back and ran for a 64-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter. Nonetheless, the offense showed more flow and movement with Rhoda at the helm. He led the team on three consecutive touchdowns drives in the second half. Rhoda did a great job of managing the clock and making pre-snap adjustments. Fleck said he was waiting for a quarterback to separate themselves and Rhoda did just that on Saturday night.

I guess it time to get used to the team averaging 2-3 ypc every game.

I guess it time to get used to the team averaging 2-3 ypc every game.

Lol. The last 2 meaningful drives of the game they literally had 140 yds and 2 touchdowns.. with Rhoda attempting only 1 pass

The Gophers RBs ran for 18 yards on 5 carries (3.6 per carry) with Croft in the game.

They ran for 168 yards on 44 carries with Rhoda in the game (3.8 per carry)

I've been impressed with Rhoda and have no problem with this. Looks composed in the pocket and appears to make accurate reads. I'm eager to see how the offensive staff will handle the ineffectiveness of inside zone with him at the helm. One obvious solution is more play action off it (we saw it twice on Saturday). Another is for Rhoda to keep more often (even gaining 3 - 4 yards occasionally is enough).

I'd still like to see Croft on the field occasionally as I think he's a capable football player who can help us win games and would force opposing defenses to spend time preparing for him.

Yes against Oregon State.

You also saw what happens when the QB runs the ball.

Rhoda has to keep the ball on the read option against B1G competition or results will be worse than Saturday. The QB has to remain a threat.

Rhoda definitely had the looks of a leader on Saturday, I will give you that.

Unsurprising, given Saturday. I hope Croft remains ready though - we will almost certainly need him at some point this year.

Rhoda Boat!

Good call by PJ. Let the O settle in with Rhoda. Croft still needs touches because 1 QB just isn't enough. We are in the B1G.

I am guessing this will only last until:

1. Rhoda doesn't fall on a fumble.

2. Rhoda throws a bad interception to lose a game.

3. The Gophers lose two games in a row because Rhoda couldn't generate much offense.

Yes against Oregon State.

You also saw what happens when the QB runs the ball.

Rhoda has to keep the ball on the read option against B1G competition or results will be worse than Saturday. The QB has to remain a threat.

Rhoda definitely had the looks of a leader on Saturday, I will give you that.

Yes - the offense looked so crisp last year in the BigTen against Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska... glad we had the QB who was a threat

Again affirming the previous coaches knew little about recruiting and developing QB's. They told Rhoda to go elsewhere.

Again affirming the previous coaches knew little about recruiting and developing QB's. They told Rhoda to go elsewhere.

Because the offense they were going to run called for a running QB and if you look at what people have responded to in this thead, they all agree that Rhoda is not a running QB.

Yes - the offense looked so crisp last year in the BigTen against Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska... glad we had the QB who was a threat

Different offenses...

How do you keep the DE honest if the QB doesn't keep the ball?

Hell, I don't care if he runs after keeping it. I'm sure a short passing attack can be incorporated if Rhoda isn't going to run the ball.

Something needs to be done to keep an entire defense from collapsing on the RBs play after play.

Finally, Minnesota was in all of those games until Mitch started throwing interceptions

Croft will get his shot.

I hope we're in a position to give him 5 series on Saturday.

Because the offense they were going to run called for a running QB and if you look at what people have responded to in this thead, they all agree that Rhoda is not a running QB.

This exactly. There's a group of us that have been posting this for months...Mitch was more suited for Kill, Rhoda and Croft more suited for Fleck. Kill's offense had QB as integral contributor (designed carries) in the running game plan, Fleck's not much. Rhoda did exactly what Fleck wants in the QB, the ability to be mobile and run/scramble if needed. His roll-out pass on the negated TD was beautiful.

I'd still like to see Croft on the field occasionally as I think he's a capable football player who can help us win games and would force opposing defenses to spend time preparing for him.

I want to say PJ outright said he wanted to see Croft out there in some cases too in the post game press conference.

I would expect to see him.

Package of 4-6 plays for Croft as a change of pace...

+1. I would still put him in 1-2 series each half. It will force the other team to prepare for him or potentially get burned if they don't.

Watching the first two games, I'm pretty sure this offense calls for a mobile QB as well. Croft is in his third season and I think Fleck wants a running QB threat as well, but he is adapting to what is best for the team.

I don't think you would surprise TC or Kill if you told them that Rhoda might look "ok" vs Buffalo and go 7 for 8 vs Oregon St amidst an insane number of running plays....

Yea Jordan Lynch sucked, Philly dog wanted to play human soccer, Shortell... Of course Mitch who is the only QB in Minnesota history to rush for and pass for 30 TD and other impressive stats. Rhoda did not fit into the Kill/Claeys offense.

Although Croft did fumble last game, I don't blame him at all. I think the playing two QBs is more a detriment than anything. I mean if a QB is doing a good job already, like Rhoda was doing, why mess up the tempo and the chemistry of the game by putting in Croft? The pressure Croft felt to try to do as good as Rhoda probably didn't help. In my eyes, Rhoda seems more confident with himself although Croft has more upside. I guess you play for this season and worry about next season, next season. Go with one QB unless there's an injury and everyone will be more comfortable. Good decision Coach!

Im not going to lie i was probably the biggest backer of wanting croft to be the starting qb, but after watching Rhoda I'm ok with it. For what he has been asked to do in the first two games he has came through. Jury is still out as to how he would respond if he was asked to throw a lot in a game, but for time time being he has earned it. Regardless i just want to see the wins keep stacking up whether its with rhoda or croft!

Yea Jordan Lynch sucked, Philly dog wanted to play human soccer, Shortell... Of course Mitch who is the only QB in Minnesota history to rush for and pass for 30 TD and other impressive stats. Rhoda did not fit into the Kill/Claeys offense.

Was Rhoda recruited to come here by Brewster? No Kill and crew brought him in.

Although Croft did fumble last game, I don't blame him at all. I think the playing two QBs is more a detriment than anything. I mean if a QB is doing a good job already, like Rhoda was doing, why mess up the tempo and the chemistry of the game by putting in Croft? The pressure Croft felt to try to do as good as Rhoda probably didn't help. In my eyes, Rhoda seems more confident with himself although Croft has more upside. I guess you play for this season and worry about next season, next season. Go with one QB unless there's an injury and everyone will be more comfortable. Good decision Coach!

+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think as far as the fumble goes PJ seemed most disappointed that Croft tried to pick it up rather than fall on it.

I was speaking with someone who knows his dad well. Conor always wanted to be a Gopher. That was his dream, and he worked very hard and never complained.

I was speaking with someone who knows his dad well. Conor always wanted to be a Gopher. That was his dream, and he worked very hard and never complained.

Well as a walk on I would hope so. You want to keep on the coach's good side when you're on the edge like that....

I'm hoping the Gophers play well enough that Rhoda can sit after few big leads.

Package of 4-6 plays for Croft as a change of pace...

Would be nice if the team could get some large leads and play Croft even in mop up duty for game experience. That is one thing that never happened under Leidner(Not his fault, no blame laid). Getting the other Quarter back's games experience can really help with their confidence and ability to focus and take mental repititions.
If they do not feel it necessary then so be it, but I would like Croft or even Green get some late game snaps just so they get the feel of the shot gun snaps, and read option aspect of this current offense.
Those late game repetitions can become invaluable in building up a QB's confidence to take over in future seasons.

Completely agree, I also think the best thing for the offensive line is to hear and follow one QB in practice and games. Rhoda is 3-0 as a starter and seems to manage the game well. 61% career passer so far.

Top Bottom