P.J. Fleck names Conor Rhoda starting quarterback

It's hard to argue with the result on Saturday but I really would have liked to see Demry get more reps. Felt he never really got an equal opportunity. The of course the run game is much more dynamic with him in. At the very least, he hasn't proven to be a worse passer than Rhoda yet, and has 2 more years of eligibility as well.

I've been impressed with Rhoda and have no problem with this. Looks composed in the pocket and appears to make accurate reads. I'm eager to see how the offensive staff will handle the ineffectiveness of inside zone with him at the helm. One obvious solution is more play action off it (we saw it twice on Saturday). Another is for Rhoda to keep more often (even gaining 3 - 4 yards occasionally is enough).

I'd still like to see Croft on the field occasionally as I think he's a capable football player who can help us win games and would force opposing defenses to spend time preparing for him.

Ditto this

Couldn't you get burned with linemen blocking downfield on a pass play in this type of scenario?

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

That can be a problem, but if the throw is made quickly after the read, the ball should be out before the OL get to the point of being illegally downfield, or at least that is what offensive coaches will say. Def. coaches will say the opposite and as the season goes on we may get called for that once in awhile, but I am sure there will be other times the refs will miss it too.

I'm guessing, now that Rhoda is the starter, we'll see an adjustment in the offence overall. We'll probably see less RPO, since everyone knows he's NO threat to pull it and run on the run/pass options. I didn't see any snaps from under center against Buffalo. But I saw way more tight end heavy, under center formations against Oregon State. This seems like a coaching staff that will adjust their offence to their players somewhat.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

See post #33.

According to PJ the decision to run the read option or a PA pass is made by the coaches on the sideline before the ball is snapped (when they all are staring at the sideline before the snap, I would suspect). Maybe what you said is what RPO is, but I don't believe that is what the Gophers have been doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't disagree more, it's exactly what Gophs have been doing, and what Fleck ran at WMU.

I'm no expert, but it certainly appears to me that the QB has an option to hand off or run himself based on what the DE does on a number of plays. Read-Option. That is what we have seen Demry do a lot and Rhoda once last game, IIRC. What I have seen no evidence of is a play where after the snap the QB decides on run or pass. That is what the coaches are deciding pre snap - per PJ.

Terrell averaged under six carries and 15 net yards/game over his last two years as QB at WMU.

I'm no expert, but it certainly appears to me that the QB has an option to hand off or run himself based on what the DE does on a number of plays. Read-Option. That is what we have seen Demry do a lot and Rhoda once last game, IIRC. What I have seen no evidence of is a play where after the snap the QB decides on run or pass. That is what the coaches are deciding pre snap - per PJ.

I agree with you. There were several plays where Rhoda "tried" to fool the defense acting like he may keep it before handing it off. The defense was never fooled.

Then why did PJ say the coaches are deciding between run and pass pre-snap?

Go look at WMU from the last couple years. I assume the down and distance dictate the play call as pass or run but the option for either is built in, and the run is mainly through the RB.

GO look at WMU from the last couple years. I assume the down and distance dictate the play call as pass or run but the option for either is built in, and the run is mainly through the RB.

Well, I am no expert, but I am convinced that the QB has had the option to run or hand off on many plays. I listen the the Gridiron Podcast and can say Ryan Burns agrees. I have also seen tweets from Greder talking about read-option running plays. To me, RPO means the QB deciding run/pass post-snap and I haven't seen evidence of us doing that and PJ said that decision is made pre-snap so there is that too. Maybe RPO doesn't mean that and the online explanation I read on RPO is outdated or too narrow.

Well, I am no expert, but I am convinced that the QB has had the option to run or hand off on many plays. I listen the the Gridiron Podcast and can say Ryan Burns agrees. I have also seen tweets from Greder talking about read-option running plays. To me, RPO means the QB deciding run/pass post-snap and I haven't seen evidence of us doing that and PJ said that decision is made pre-snap so there is that too. Maybe RPO doesn't mean that and the online explanation I read on RPO is outdated or too narrow.

Not an expert either. Didn't say it wasn't an option, just more or less a distant third behind handing off or passing, especially with Fleck.

Then why did PJ say the coaches are deciding between run and pass pre-snap?

Its possible they have an initial decision of passing or running from the sideline, but the QB still has the option to change it if he sees something he doesn't like from his point of view. If he agrees with the sideline, he runs that, if not, he takes the initiative to change the call.

Just me speculating how this could all fit together.

I'm very impressed with how Rhoda climbs the pocket with his eyes still down the field. I'm very excited to see Connor over a full season.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Obvious choice.

Hopefully Croft sticks around past this year. Would be nice to have a guy with experience coming in next year.

Its possible they have an initial decision of passing or running from the sideline, but the QB still has the option to change it if he sees something he doesn't like from his point of view. If he agrees with the sideline, he runs that, if not, he takes the initiative to change the call.

Just me speculating how this could all fit together.

I don't doubt that at all. However, if done pre-snap then I would consider that an audible. I guess what I am trying to figure out is if our QB has the option to run/pass after the snap has been made. What I have read about RPO says he would, but I don't see that happening out there much - if at all - and doesn't seem to fit with what PJ said. Maybe I'm missing it or misunderstood PJ's statements. It truly doesn't matter, I am genuinely interested to know.

He earned it, but I bet we see Croft again at some point. He will be better at running for his life against some of our in conference first when the line breaks down

Listening to gopher gridiron it sounded like there is more to the story. Anyone have an idea what they are talking about?

I don't doubt that at all. However, if done pre-snap then I would consider that an audible. I guess what I am trying to figure out is if our QB has the option to run/pass after the snap has been made. What I have read about RPO says he would, but I don't see that happening out there much - if at all - and doesn't seem to fit with what PJ said. Maybe I'm missing it or misunderstood PJ's statements. It truly doesn't matter, I am genuinely interested to know.

I think the true zen master QBs can first make the decision to pass vs read option based on what the defense shows, then if the defense gives the run make very quick second decision on keeping vs giving on the zone read. I seriously doubt the coaches trust either guy to make those bang bang decisions at this point but who really knows?

Listening to gopher gridiron it sounded like there is more to the story. Anyone have an idea what they are talking about?

I have heard that the move isn't 100% related to play on the field.

More extrovert vs introvert talk?

This is me just kind of talking out of my *ss but at practice I thought Rhoda just seemed more in command. More of a leader. It was just my perception of the intangibles.

I have heard that the move isn't 100% related to play on the field.

Weird it coincides with what happened on Saturday, wonder if the "off the field" has to do with what happened "on the field". Hopefully it's just a little hiccup, Demry will get PT this year.

This is me just kind of talking out of my *ss but at practice I thought Rhoda just seemed more in command. More of a leader. It was just my perception of the intangibles.

It's interesting because I had the exact opposite perception of his body language last summer. Just seemed uncomfortable but obviously this is going off video snippets and I have never talked to or been around either one. Maybe neither is a "natural leader" in the traditional sense. In any case, it's probably not as critical IMO as PJ thinks. Do the guys respect them behind closed doors? That's what really matters. Let's take a poll.

Could also be class related, if it's not just on the field performance. Could be other players voicing that they mash better with Connor, could be something else entirely. Who knows?

Top Bottom