STrib: U resurrects High School Band Day with 120 trombones, 180 cornets, 800 kids

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Seventy-six trombones? That's nothing.

Try about 120 trombones. With about 180 cornets close at hand.

In fact, more than 1,000 marching band musicians will be blazing away at the same time at the University of Minnesota's halftime show when the Gophers play at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on Saturday.

The megaband performance marks the return of High School Band Day, a U tradition dating to 1951 in which high school bands around the state play a halftime show en masse at a Gophers football game.

http://m.startribune.com/u-resurrec...0-cornets-800-kids/443303473/?section=variety

Go Gophers!!

This seems right on so many levels. Good times for all, a good show and if Aunt Betty and Uncle Joe from Mendota Heights show up to watch little Emma from Mora, that is even better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I remember attending band day when I was in high school in the late 60's and early 70's. When my high school participated, the bands did not go down on the main field. we stayed seated in the "bowl" end of the stadium, and played along with the Gopher marching band. At least that's how I remember it.

As noted, a good way to get high school students at the game.

On a semi-related note, I seem to remember a program back in the metrodome days where members of a high school football team could get a discount on group tickets by attending as a team and wearing their jerseys. Anything like that still available?

Great idea. Get as much tie in to the community as possible and it has got to be a big deal back home if your band is participating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea. Get as much tie in to the community as possible and it has got to be a big deal back home if your band is participating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep 800+ students plus their parents and siblings! Great idea.

Glad Prof. McCann is bring this back, but sad I can't be there to see it. Also a little birdie told me the band is trying to get the money and plan together to start taking the Indoor concert on the road around the state (for those in Rochester, I would think they would keep heading there every other year, and then do a different city in the state on the off years). No idea how often, or when it would start, or anything past that it is being actively considered, but its another great state outreach thing Prof. McCann is trying to do.

I remember attending band day when I was in high school in the late 60's and early 70's. When my high school participated, the bands did not go down on the main field. we stayed seated in the "bowl" end of the stadium, and played along with the Gopher marching band. At least that's how I remember it.

I agree, it was a lot of fun. I participated in 1972 and actually got to personally meet Dr Frank Bencriscutto. Thought he was very cool. We, however, all had to sit in the bleachers. Anyways, it was a good time.

I swear that every game my Dad took me to in the 70's was high school band day.... The checkboard of bands in the open end of The Brickyard is burned in my memory.

I don't know if Minnesota ever had it, but believe it or not Nebraska had knot hole games. Open to kids 14 and under.

Top Bottom