Jerry Kill had a minor seizure yesterday morning. He is expected back shortly.

I wish you and your wife well.

Thanks. I don't like to air personal issues online because people don't want to hear about other people's problems, but the seizure/epilepsy issue is not clear cut. Jerry Kill is a tough SOB who's trying to live a full life. I hope he can accomplish something positive at Rutgers...but not against my Gophies.

I second the best wishes to your wife, Panthadad2. This is disappointing for Kill, but unfortunately not surprising.

Doesn't add up to me: only a minor seizure but a multi-day hospitalization??

When its been over a year since the last one, doctors might air on the side of caution. Especially since he took a tumble at the game, they may be doing some extra observation to see if it might be linked.

Per Minneapolis Tribune: Former Gophers football coach Jerry Kill hospitalized after minor seizure: Kill, who is in his first year as offensive coordinator at Rutgers, was hit on the sidelines during a play in a game on Saturday against Eastern Michigan. According to Rutgers head coach Chris Ash, "He had some headaches Saturday night. It hasn't been confirmed or identified as the reason yet, but he had a minor seizure (Sunday) morning. But he is fine."

We all wish him well and he has had a major impact on our program. I think he has burned too many bridges to be invited back to the U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. After Claeys was fired he said he's never setting foot on campus again even though he'll still come to MN. I hope he can get past that sentiment, but I don't think he'll ever work for the U and he probably shouldn't.

Ugh. I feel so bad for him. Man just wants to do what he loves (and is very good at), but his body won't let him. He gets little rays of hope every few months where it seems all is well and then wham, his affliction strikes again. Don't know what I'd do in his shoes - don't even want to imagine. Just wish he'd get better.

It is a shame he can't find satisfaction in a behind the scenes roll like what he was doing at K-State. Be heavily involved but not on the front lines. Like most in here, I was disappointed but not surprised to hear he had another seizure.

I hope nothing but the best for him. I truly want him to be healthy enough to coach. But I just can't believe it's in his best interest to continue coaching. He hadn't had one in over a year. Second game back as a coach and he has one. I really hope they figure something out but I just don't know why he'd keep doing this to himself.

He was a fabulous coach that put in place a solid system.

It is unfortunate that so many things were set up for success in 2016, and then he had to resign during the 2015 season. With his leadership I think we had a shot at a Big Ten West title.

I have a great deal of respect for Jerry Kill, in spite of some strong disagreements I have with the way some things were handled here, both while he was coach and after he retired. Many people bring up, naturally, how coaching affects his health. That is, does coaching cause his seizures to become more frequent and strong - or do they occur at roughly the same rate anyway? I prefer to look at it a different way - to me, how his coaching affects his health is beside the point. If he wants to take an increased risk (assuming that one even exists), he is an adult and is making an informed decision. I think the thing that gets frequently overlooked is - how does this affect the people around him? Is it fair of him to continually ask others to cover for his responsibilities owing to his compromised health status? I feel that it's not fair to others for him to go on coaching this way. Of course, Ash didn't have to hire him, but he needs to be the one to fully retire, take himself out of consideration for jobs, and stop putting other people in such a difficult position.

Completely agree. Now it's just denial and selfishness.

I hope nothing but the best for him. I truly want him to be healthy enough to coach. But I just can't believe it's in his best interest to continue coaching. He hadn't had one in over a year. Second game back as a coach and he has one. I really hope they figure something out but I just don't know why he'd keep doing this to himself.

It's kind of like watching a drunk. Unfortunately, rock bottom for Jerry will likely be fatal.

For Jerry it's probably a decision of

"Do I want to live a long life that I don't love by not coaching?"

or

"Do I want to possibly live a shorter life doing something I love?"

The question you have to ask is Jerry Kill being gone with seizures here and there become too big of a distraction? Or does Jerry Kilk being gone with seizures here and there inspire his players and is worth the absences? I would say that Jerry is pretty motivational and as another poster said you have to admire that he has the balls to go do what he loves...seizures be damned! It's a tough question and I'm sure we all have different opinions. I have an employee that's had a lot of health issues and multiple absences for surgeries and some lengthy recoveries and you know what we made accommodations for her because she was that damn good of an employee. Maybe Jerry is like that too? I have no idea...just thinking out loud.

My wife became susceptible to seizures from a prior TBI. She is on medication to prevent them, but is often deathly afraid to go out in public out of fear of a seizure occurring (even though the risk is low while on medication). This is the opposite situation of Mr. Kill's but can cause just as many family problems. I actually applaud Jerry for having the guts to go about his day-to-day life without fear, assuming plans and protections are in place. Overall, it's not an easy issue to balance out...believe me.

Thanks for the post.

The " Killer" puts everyone on harm's way with his stubbornness on his health. I'm sure in addition to being the OC he's has to recruit. My brother-in-law is dealing with this issue and he is a barber with his own shop. If he gets stressed he goes down. Fortunately they are few and far between. I really think if Kill wants to be involved in coaching he goes back to the HS level.

I am praying for you Jerry and Rebecca Kill that you'll overcome this latest challenge.

Thanks for all that you have done for the U athletics program and for all the kids whose lives you have touched and saved.

Plenty of people have acute and chronic health problems, including mental illness. Women have babies and take one or more LOAs and other unplanned absences (this goes for dads too before the complaints start.

Point is, if Jerry wants to work and someone is willing to hire him and he fully understands the risk then I don't see its any of our business. If he's the pilot then it's a problem.

For Jerry it's probably a decision of

"Do I want to live a long life that I don't love by not coaching?"

or

"Do I want to possibly live a shorter life doing something I love?"

Hopefully at some point its "do I want many years with my grandkids, or don't I?"

Plenty of people have acute and chronic health problems, including mental illness. Women have babies and take one or more LOAs and other unplanned absences (this goes for dads too before the complaints start.

Point is, if Jerry wants to work and someone is willing to hire him and he fully understands the risk then I don't see its any of our business. If he's the pilot then it's a problem.

Internet message boards traffic in information and opinions on every topic there is. Posters get to give their opinion no matter how little information it is based on. In that spirit my opinion is that Kill appears to making it all about himself without considering what is in the best interest of his wife, daughter, and other family members. I am sure they probably gave him the go ahead to get back into coaching, but I think most rational people would understand how their health problems can make it very difficult for their loved ones. Kill needs to quit for his family if not for himself.

My guess, Jerry believes he can help people. He can impact the lives of the players he coaches. He can raise awareness for Epilepsy and be a role model that you can live a "normal life" with Epilepsy. It's his gift, it's why he's here and fighting through adversity is part of life. His family loves and supports him and understands his beliefs. Coaching is his reason to live.
Is it the right choice for him? Is it the right choice for his family and co-workers? Is it the right choice for people with Epilepsy? Is it the right choice for the players he coaches? Is it the right choice for some guy who reads about him and is inspired to continue living with his handicaps? I don't know. I do know life is not fair and it's hard.
Pray for Jerry and his family.

This is Coach Kill's family business. As much as I hate to hear of seizures, he has tje right to live how he sees fit. I'll always be grateful for his time here.

I preface this by saying I love Jerry and loved him as a coach, but I am not sure why Ash has decided to go in this direction. It seems that this can really only end one way. And when Kill has to step away or be hospitalized and can't do the job, it is going to happen quickly and completely disrupt the team and season.

Doesn't seem like you'd go to the hospital for a "minor" seizure. If it's serious enough to go to the hospital...

Kill was released from a local hospital late Monday afternoon - NJ.com

Harte, a kicker, transferred from Minnesota to Rutgers in the offseason to reunite with Kill, who is the team's first-year offensive coordinator.

"To see everything he went through at Minnesota, it was devastating to me and my teammates when I found out that he had that minor seizure," Harte said, his voice slightly quivering. "It takes you back and it makes you realize how much he battles. I'm kind of at a loss for words.

"Luckily, he's going to be all right, he's going to be fine, but it certainly made me take a step back and instantly all the emotions I felt when he did have to step down at Minnesota all hit me."...

A few guys were wondering if they would cancel things, and I said, 'Coach Kill, if he found out practice was canceled would not be happy with us at all,'" Harte said.

"Sure enough, that's exactly what Coach Ash said. I've been around him longer than anyone here, I guess. I said there is no way because that would hurt him more than anyone else."

Kill was released from a local hospital late Monday afternoon, and Ash said "he is fine" and there were "no concerns" that the veteran coach would not rejoin the Rutgers staff this week. Harte said he has not spoken to Kill but sent a text message to Kill's wife, Rebecca.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...ng_news_to_rutgers_pl.html#incart_river_index

Internet message boards traffic in information and opinions on every topic there is. Posters get to give their opinion no matter how little information it is based on. In that spirit my opinion is that Kill appears to making it all about himself without considering what is in the best interest of his wife, daughter, and other family members. I am sure they probably gave him the go ahead to get back into coaching, but I think most rational people would understand how their health problems can make it very difficult for their loved ones. Kill needs to quit for his family if not for himself.

One doesn't get to the pinnacle of a profession without an unusually strong work drive. That doesn't just turn off. Plenty of people with a family history of heart attack are working very stressful jobs that put them at risk for an early exit. Should they go on welfare?

Again, if Jerry and his docs think the condition was or can be under decent control then he's free to live his life. This episode may make him rethink everything or maybe he got sloppy again and he'll improve. We will see.

coach is back at practice! he's a ball coach, can't keep him off the field.

As one who is type "A" and obsesses over damn near everything.... for some it is impossible to "turn it off"... even at the risk of health. Powerful stuff.

One doesn't get to the pinnacle of a profession without an unusually strong work drive. That doesn't just turn off. Plenty of people with a family history of heart attack are working very stressful jobs that put them at risk for an early exit. Should they go on welfare?

Again, if Jerry and his docs think the condition was or can be under decent control then he's free to live his life. This episode may make him rethink everything or maybe he got sloppy again and he'll improve. We will see.

It is not necessarily a "work drive", but more of a passion to be the best or give it your all. There are plenty of less stressful avenues that Kill can pursue that he could "put his all" into. He is a smart enough guy to figure out another way to contribute to the sport he loves without that level of stress. He can easily earn a living if he hasn't made enough money already to retire comfortably.
Leave it to you to think the only alternative is welfare!

I think what people are saying here is that it is his work that is causing the health issues and that the result of the work causing these issues will be worse health and possibly death (I'm not saying that, I don't know if that's the case).

I think there might be a question about if people want to hire him... if he has to take serious risks to do the job.

In MN the story from team docs was that Jerry's seizures were not causing any sort of cumulative damage or future risks.

But then when Jerry quit he noted how his doctor (presumably personal doc) told him he had to choose and Jerry indicated he hadn't been following the doctor's advice, not taking meds.

Those two never jived for me.

If in fact Jerry is creating a health risk for himself and the employer is aware of it... they might think twice. I really doubt any university would want to knowingly take on someone who is taking a serious risk like that.

Now generally I'd agree it is his health to risk, but I'm not sure if it becomes apparent what schools would do that.

Top Bottom