Jerry Kill had a minor seizure yesterday morning. He is expected back shortly.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Kill with Minor Seizure Yesterday

Go Gophers!!

Why is he doing this to himself? Is the football drug so addictive that it's more important than his health?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of these seem to coincide with poor performances, which make sense with the stress and pressure.

How many seizures was he having between the jobs? If they had pretty much stopped, and are now ramping back up again.. the problem is very clear.

I wish him well and that he will bounce back soon.

He was one of the people instrumental in getting the Athletic Village a reality.

Maybe someday when he is done with coaching that U bring him him back in a non-coaching capacity.

I hope is able to continue with his career, but the seizure, and the timing of it does not bode well.

ol' jer is a ball coach. it's in his blood, it's who he is.

What I never understood about Jerry was that while he was coaching, he would say, "I'm on my meds and doing a good job".

Then when he retired, he said something to the effect that he "never listened to a doctor". (like he was too stubborn to follow doctors orders).

Am I confused on this, or is this accurate?

Either way, I hope he takes care of himself.
It's gotta be tough on his wife.

What I never understood about Jerry was that while he was coaching, he would say, "I'm on my meds and doing a good job".

Then when he retired, he said something to the effect that he "never listened to a doctor". (like he was too stubborn to follow doctors orders).

Am I confused on this, or is this accurate?

Either way, I hope he takes care of himself.
It's gotta be tough on his wife.

You are correct. The team doc also seemed to regularly assure everyone that Jerry was doing what he needed to do for his health while coaching.

But he clearly indicated something about not doing what the doctors said / meds when he spoke after the fact.

For Jerry, no such thing as a minor seizure. Losing seems to cause them. Rutgers not a good spot for him.

Get better, Coach Kill...Gopher Country still loves you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was one of the people instrumental in getting the Athletic Village a reality.

Maybe someday when he is done with coaching that U bring him him back in a non-coaching capacity.
No question he moved the program forward. He deserves credit for that. Not sure the second comment will ever come true.
I don't believe in telling people what their limits are. He should do what he wants. But unfortunately, sometimes others tell you it's the end of the line. I don't think he's there yet, but his success at Rutgers will likely dictate that.

By Ryan Dunleavy [email protected],

PISCATAWAY -- Rutgers offensive coordinator Jerry Kill suffered a minor seizure Sunday morning and remains hospitalized but is expected back with the program shortly, according to coach Chris Ash.

Ash said that Kill took a fall during Saturday's game on the sideline when a play leaked out onto the sideline and resulted in quarterback Kyle Bolin taking a late hit out of bounds.

Kill had to retire as a head coach at Minnesota in October 2015 because of symptoms from epilepsy, including seizures. He returned to Rutgers after a year away and said in May that he had been seizure-free for more than a year.

Here is what Ash said about it:

"Coach Kill had a minor medical setback," Ash announced at his weekly Monday press conference. "He is going to be fine. Saturday, early in the game after the first drive, he got tumbled up. He was really discombobulated in the first half from it and had some headaches Saturday night.

"It hasn't been confirmed or identified as the reason yet, but he had a minor seizure (Sunday) morning. But he is fine. He is still waiting to be released from the hospital. He will be back here this afternoon or tomorrow whenever he feels up to the task.

"It's a minor setback. I fully anticipate he will be back with us here shortly. No concerns about him not being able to do that. Just so we are all clear. He feels great. It's one of those things where life situations or medical situations come up with a lot of people. This happened."

Q: No concern about him coaching this weekend?

CA: "Not right now today. Unless something came from a doctor or he needed more time to recover. Right now his focus is on getting back with our football team. Our focus is on getting better with our next opponent. RIght now no one is even thinking about it."

Q: Who runs the offense in practice or a game when he is out?

CA: "The whole staff. It's a staff effort. It's always been a staff effort. As a (former) defensive coordinator, that's the way it is. We have a really good staff. A coordinator is a coordinator by title. Ultimately he has to make the final decisions. But when it comes ot practice preparation and game-planning, it's a team effort. The staff has done an outstanding job working together. The game-planning is going as normal. There haven't been any hiccups or adjustments from that point.

"Obviously because of the medical history of Jerry we've had contingency plans in place if something like this were to happen and there was a long-term situation that would cause him to miss work. Right now, we're pretty confident that's not going to be the case."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...er_taki.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

I have a great deal of respect for Jerry Kill, in spite of some strong disagreements I have with the way some things were handled here, both while he was coach and after he retired. Many people bring up, naturally, how coaching affects his health. That is, does coaching cause his seizures to become more frequent and strong - or do they occur at roughly the same rate anyway? I prefer to look at it a different way - to me, how his coaching affects his health is beside the point. If he wants to take an increased risk (assuming that one even exists), he is an adult and is making an informed decision. I think the thing that gets frequently overlooked is - how does this affect the people around him? Is it fair of him to continually ask others to cover for his responsibilities owing to his compromised health status? I feel that it's not fair to others for him to go on coaching this way. Of course, Ash didn't have to hire him, but he needs to be the one to fully retire, take himself out of consideration for jobs, and stop putting other people in such a difficult position.

This is sad. That affliction has been so hard on him and his family.
I think Kill is a straight shooter with people he encounters. Can he ever really be honest with himself?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

We all wish him well and he has had a major impact on our program. I think he has burned too many bridges to be invited back to the U.

This is sad. That affliction has been so hard on him and his family.
I think Kill is a straight shooter with people he encounters. Can he ever really be honest with himself?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My wife became susceptible to seizures from a prior TBI. She is on medication to prevent them, but is often deathly afraid to go out in public out of fear of a seizure occurring (even though the risk is low while on medication). This is the opposite situation of Mr. Kill's but can cause just as many family problems. I actually applaud Jerry for having the guts to go about his day-to-day life without fear, assuming plans and protections are in place. Overall, it's not an easy issue to balance out...believe me.

He needs to start with the cannabis drops.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

We all wish him well and he has had a major impact on our program. I think he has burned too many bridges to be invited back to the U.

With current admin staff,probably, who knows what future holds

There isn't much doubt that Kill is not going to be able to coach for the entire season. I have to believe his doctors all advised him not to take the job. I don't know why he is putting his wife and daughter through this.

I have a great deal of respect for Jerry Kill, in spite of some strong disagreements I have with the way some things were handled here, both while he was coach and after he retired. Many people bring up, naturally, how coaching affects his health. That is, does coaching cause his seizures to become more frequent and strong - or do they occur at roughly the same rate anyway? I prefer to look at it a different way - to me, how his coaching affects his health is beside the point. If he wants to take an increased risk (assuming that one even exists), he is an adult and is making an informed decision. I think the thing that gets frequently overlooked is - how does this affect the people around him? Is it fair of him to continually ask others to cover for his responsibilities owing to his compromised health status? I feel that it's not fair to others for him to go on coaching this way. Of course, Ash didn't have to hire him, but he needs to be the one to fully retire, take himself out of consideration for jobs, and stop putting other people in such a difficult position.

Agree with all you have posted here Dpo. +1

Bummed to read this. Unfortunately, not surprised. This is the expected next step in the cycle with Jerry.

Ugh. I feel so bad for him. Man just wants to do what he loves (and is very good at), but his body won't let him. He gets little rays of hope every few months where it seems all is well and then wham, his affliction strikes again. Don't know what I'd do in his shoes - don't even want to imagine. Just wish he'd get better.

My wife became susceptible to seizures from a prior TBI. She is on medication to prevent them, but is often deathly afraid to go out in public out of fear of a seizure occurring (even though the risk is low while on medication). This is the opposite situation of Mr. Kill's but can cause just as many family problems. I actually applaud Jerry for having the guts to go about his day-to-day life without fear, assuming plans and protections are in place. Overall, it's not an easy issue to balance out...believe me.

I wish you and your wife well.

Doesn't add up to me: only a minor seizure but a multi-day hospitalization??

Top Bottom