No Penalty on Out of Bounds Kick-off

SRSKSM

FB Season Ticket Holder
Reaction score
Please explain why the Beavers got the ball at the 20 when the Gophers kicked off from the 50 and kicked it out of bounds?????

The rule is 30 yards from where the ball was kicked...so if the kick comes from the 35 the ball goes to the 35, since they had the 15 yard penalty, it came from the 50 and went to the 20. Pretty smart coaching by Fleck & Co to go for a coffin corner and try and pin them deep...because if it goes out of bounds no biggie.

The rule is 30 yards from where the ball was kicked...so if the kick comes from the 35 the ball goes to the 35, since they had the 15 yard penalty, it came from the 50 and went to the 20. Pretty smart coaching by Fleck & Co to go for a coffin corner and try and pin them deep...because if it goes out of bounds no biggie.

When you kick off after a team commits a 15 yard penalty, it pays to try to pin a team with a short angled kickoff.

A touchback brings the ball to the 25, while an out of bounds kickoff only goes to the 20. You get an automatic five yards for going for the corner.

and if it goes out of bounds short of the 25, they would likely just take it at the spot where it goes out of bounds.

The kick makes sense now-thanks.

Now that is good game management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked the same thing in the game thread. For all the college football I watch.....I had never known that rule.

On a touchback the ball goes to the 25 yd line ... ten yard penalty on the out of bounds kick and ball goes to 35 line and that's what they did .. Clearly remember.

When you kick off after a team commits a 15 yard penalty, it pays to try to pin a team with a short angled kickoff.

A touchback brings the ball to the 25, while an out of bounds kickoff only goes to the 20. You get an automatic five yards for going for the corner.

Learned about the peter word this week and now this. Educational week for me!

Top Bottom