7 years ago today...

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
At the half, Gophers trail SOUTH DAKOTA 21-10.

Today...
The Gophers pummeled Oregon State ON THE ROAD less than 48 hours ago.

Happy Monday. Row the Boat.

Ugh. You had to bring that up. That loss was so horrendous. If I recall correctly, didn't the coaching staff admit they did very, very little preparation for USD? Could've swore I remember them saying that at some point.

The worst. South Dakota wasn't even a good FCS team that year. They went 4-7. At least Michigan can say they lost to the FCS champs in 2007, or Iowa can say they lost to the FCS semifinalists in 2016.

Told Mrs. Billd that coach was on super-secret probation after that one.

A couple of games later it moved to double-super-secret probation...and we know the rest.

Better times (hopefully) ahead...

Ugh. You had to bring that up. That loss was so horrendous. If I recall correctly, didn't the coaching staff admit they did very, very little preparation for USD? Could've swore I remember them saying that at some point.

Teams often don't game prep for FCS teams thinking they can just out muscle them

Teams often don't game prep for FCS teams thinking they can just out muscle them

Most coaches at least give some lip service to prepping. How true it is I'm not sure but I suspect they do more prepping now for the little guys than they used to.

I feel like across CFB (outside the tip top teams) talent level and coaching skills in the past 20 years have leveled out some.

On my list of favorite Gopher football coaches I will always rate Tim Brewster ahead of Glenn Mason because he wanted to be in Minnesota and loved being the Gophers coach. Mason regretted taking the job before he arrived on campus and tried to get another job for most of the time he was here.

Since he was fired Brewster has said only positive things about his time in Minnesota. Gopher fans who continue to demonize the man seven years later have forgotten, or never experienced, the 50 years of mostly abject failure by the football team since it last won a Big 10 Championship.

I have to believe that Mike Dubose, Denis Franchione, and Mike Shula don't come up in Alabama threads more than a couple times per year. The same goes for Gerry Faust, Bob Davie, Tyrone Willingham, and Charlie Weiss at Notre Dame. Joel Maturi is far from the only AD to swing and miss at a Division I football school. It happens every year in every DI conference in the country.

Let's get over the obsession about Brewster. It has been decades since the future of Gopher football has looked as bright as it does now. We all need to look to the future and try to forget about the past.

I had season tickets while I lived in the TC from '06 - '12. I saw some bad football. I know many of you have seen worse. But man, those were some lean years.

Unless you were around at the time of Smokin Joe Salem, you have nothing to cry about!

On my list of favorite Gopher football coaches I will always rate Tim Brewster ahead of Glenn Mason because he wanted to be in Minnesota and loved being the Gophers coach. Mason regretted taking the job before he arrived on campus and tried to get another job for most of the time he was here.

Since he was fired Brewster has said only positive things about his time in Minnesota. Gopher fans who continue to demonize the man seven years later have forgotten, or never experienced, the 50 years of mostly abject failure by the football team since it last one a Big 10 Championship.

I have to believe that Mike Dubose, Denis Franchione, and Mike Shula don't come up in Alabama threads more than a couple times per year. The same goes for Gerry Faust, Bob Davie, Tyrone Willingham, and Charlie Weiss at Notre Dame. Joel Maturi is far from the only AD to swing and miss at a Division I football school. It happens every year in every DI conference in the country.

Let's get over the obsession about Brewster. It has been decades since the future of Gopher football has looked as bright as it does now. We all need to look to the future and try to forget about the past.

I posted a fact. You brought up Brewster.

Haha wtf?? This is lunacy

The thing I never got about Brewster was that he had never been a HC... not really even close.

So I sorta assumed with Brewster would come some old coach or something to sort of guide Brewster in building a program while Tim did the croot'n and was the face of the team....

The thing I never got about Brewster was that he had never been a HC... not really even close.

So I sorta assumed with Brewster would come some old coach or something to sort of guide Brewster in building a program while Tim did the croot'n and was the face of the team....

The weird part is, at least in 2007, we had guys that were or would become head coaches on the staff. Mike Dunbar was HC at Northern Iowa (in addition to a really lengthy OC career). Everett Withers has since gone on to be HC at UNC, James Madison and now Texas State. It was very strange.

Since he was fired Brewster has said only positive things about his time in Minnesota. Gopher fans who continue to demonize the man seven years later have forgotten, or never experienced, the 50 years of mostly abject failure by the football team since it last won a Big 10 Championship.

Glen Mason still lives here... Tim Brewster: " It's a lot easier to recruit to Starkville than Minnesota" Your wrong, wrong ,and wrong.

The post by Cruze is strange, and Brewster was obviously a train-wreck. But, I still think it was a calculated risk worth taking by Maturi at the time. Programs like ours kind of need to get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle to get over the hump...I can see how Brewster appeared to maybe be the guy to do it. Obviously he wasn't.

Brewster was a bad HC but he wasn't to be blamed...you hire a 5 year old to be fire chief don't expect a lot of fires to be put out, you hire a guy with zero experience as a Coordinator or HC and expect him to run the team is foolishness. Maturi didn't take a calculated risk, he bet the entire athletic departments budget on black at a crooked table in china town. Not hard to see why it ended so badly.

Maybe in Oregon too long enjoying the legalization?

Remember, Brewster wasn't hired until mid January (Mason was let go after the bowl game). At this time all the coaching changes have been made. An impossible situation for Brewster. (Also for the U}
He wasn't a college coach so didn't have a staff to bring with him. How he did what he did is a wonder.

Glen Mason does still live here so I don't think he hated it here as much as you're implying. The "I'll listen if OSU calls" type comments were annoying though.

You take things to seriously if you think most still hate Brewster

The South Dakota loss and the NDSU losses were low points then.
The Brewsterism's and sayings are fun things to remember. There was a time there was a lot of optimism when coach Brew had the Gophers at 7-0.

Brewster has gone on to success with FSU as tight ends coach and he is where he should be recruiting for a successful program. If he ever goes on to be a head coach again I wish him much success and harbor no ill will towards the man.

.... If he ever goes on to be a head coach again I wish him much success and harbor no ill will towards the man.

Agreed. He was simply way over his head here with great enthusiasm but no experience. He shouldn't have been hired into that situation.

Remember, Brewster wasn't hired until mid January (Mason was let go after the bowl game). At this time all the coaching changes have been made. An impossible situation for Brewster. (Also for the U}
He wasn't a college coach so didn't have a staff to bring with him. <b>How he did what he did is a wonder.</b>

Assembling a staff that went 1-11 and disbanded after one year (save the OC who stayed 2) was a "wonder"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The weird part is, at least in 2007, we had guys that were or would become head coaches on the staff. Mike Dunbar was HC at Northern Iowa (in addition to a really lengthy OC career). Everett Withers has since gone on to be HC at UNC, James Madison and now Texas State. It was very strange.

It would be interesting to get a real inside scoop from the other coaches one day.

I had season tickets while I lived in the TC from '06 - '12. I saw some bad football. I know many of you have seen worse. But man, those were some lean years.

I kept thinking to myself during those years...what could the Gophies have been with a coach like "[insert your name here...my hope was Craig Bohl]" or pretty much any other guy with true head coaching experience? What a difference a few years make.

Brewster was a bad HC but he wasn't to be blamed...you hire a 5 year old to be fire chief don't expect a lot of fires to be put out, you hire a guy with zero experience as a Coordinator or HC and expect him to run the team is foolishness. Maturi didn't take a calculated risk, he bet the entire athletic departments budget on black at a crooked table in china town. Not hard to see why it ended so badly.

Western Michigan hired a guy in 2013 with zero experience as a coordinator or head coach. It seems to have worked out alright for them.

Western Michigan hired a guy in 2013 with zero experience as a coordinator or head coach. It seems to have worked out alright for them.

Western Michigan isn't in the Big Ten. Plenty of coaches at non-power 5 schools with not great experience. Not many in the Big Ten.

Look at recent hires around the conference.

Mostly agree. The biggest contribution Brewster brought was that it is okay to dream big. To have expectations.

Top Bottom