Rhoda and the previous regime

Rhoda would've gotten murdered in Limey offense. He is tiny. Plus it wasn't exactly pass friendly and suitable to his strengths.

Really? You post some crazy azz chit.

RS Senior
Hometown:
Eagan, Minn.
High School:
Cretin-Derham Hall HS
Height / Weight:
6-3 / 225
Position:
QB

Yeah, I agree. Listen, through two games Rhoda has done an overall good job but we have to remember Mitch had many games where we thought he was turning the corner as a passer. He'd have a pretty good game, then a stinker. Ultimately he just made some bad decisions at inopportune times usually under great duress. His mechanics went to hell and his accuracy...well we've covered all that before.

My point is Mitch looked good to great in many games, sometime against pretty good defenses. We don't yet know what we really have in Rhoda. The level of defensive pressure is going to ramp up and how he (or Croft) responds will be the difference between a meh and a magic season. I won't pop the champagne until we start rolling up some Big Ten wins, particularly MSU and Iowa.

What? I can think of 2 in his career. Iowa and Mizzou in 2014.

Two things: 1) No QB, or anyone, can show anything if they don't get a real chance to play (in games). Rhoda has gotten a chance and seems to be capable of leading the team (be it after 2 games, one of them good). 2) Related, but slightly different, Claeys used to say something like, "we don't have any Saturday heros, show it in practice or you don't play in games." On the other hand I've heard Fleck say that practice and games are too different things, and that some people will perform better in games than expected based on practice performance, and visa versa. I guess both views have some merit. I like Fleck's view better, but that's me.

I've got nothing but time. Give it a shot.
And which players were those?
I'm not going to name names b/c I am acquainted with some of these kids and I don't think they'd appreciate me sharing that info. But trust me, there were several. And, the Gophers ended up with ~81 scholarships when camp started. He thought he was going to sign a few more kids than he ended up getting in 2016 and he was going to use those scholarships.
Claeys wasn't as good as he thought he was.

I'm not going to name names b/c I am acquainted with some of these kids and I don't think they'd appreciate me sharing that info. But trust me, there were several. And, the Gophers ended up with ~81 scholarships when camp started. He thought he was going to sign a few more kids than he ended up getting in 2016 and he was going to use those scholarships.
Claeys wasn't as good as he thought he was.

Right, so you've got nothing. Thanks for playing.

What? I can think of 2 in his career. Iowa and Mizzou in 2014.

He performed well against Michigan and Purdue in '14. He had a very good game against Nebraska in '14 too. He had good games in '15 against Ohio, MI, Purdue, NE and Iowa.

Big problem is he wasn't consistent, played hurt far too often and those games didn't make-up even half the games on the schedule.

Less said about 2016 the better?

Right, so you've got nothing. Thanks for playing.
I could name them, and then you'd know. But I'm not going to violate someone's privacy for your benefit.
You could probably figure it out on your own. Go look at a 2015 roster and see which scholarship players didn't come back that were near graduation or had graduated with eligibility left, one who had already started grad school.
I will tell you this as well, their teammates were shocked that TC would do that. But it's survival and they move on, and say all the right things as players do.

I think if you told TC or Jerry that Rhoda would do well against Oregon St amidst 47 rushing attempts..... they wouldn't be surprised.

Wouldn't that have been a reason to play last year?
Different topic: The Gophers may have gone undefeated last year just with the philosophy of PJ to run the ball with a lead. We were ahead in all 13 games in the second half.
Different point: Plus, we pass so much better this year design/scheme wise.
Forget who is the quarterback...just putting guys in position to make plays they are capable of. We have not seen the quarterback turn his back to line of scrimmage or roll left after facing right and pivoting to reverse direction. etc etc In addition, asking the quarterbacks to do the things they are best at this year....utilizing their strengths.

I think this plays a bigger part in what we've seen so far than anything else. Johnson never really had the chance to match personnel with his system, but Limegrover's passing game was pretty much Pop Warner in its design.

I could name them, and then you'd know. But I'm not going to violate someone's privacy for your benefit.
You could probably figure it out on your own. Go look at a 2015 roster and see which scholarship players didn't come back that were near graduation or had graduated with eligibility left, one who had already started grad school.
I will tell you this as well, their teammates were shocked that TC would do that. But it's survival and they move on, and say all the right things as players do.

Not renewing players who have graduated is extremely commonplace and happens everywhere every year. That's what you were referring to? Cute. Yes, that certainly qualifies as a "big mistake." Keep grinding that axe.

I haven't been a big Rhoda fan up until Saturday. He throws a nice tight spiral and is very accurate. He seems to really be taking on the leadership role. And he played before a hostile crowd in a pouring rain and handled things beautifully. I now think had he been a full-time starter last year we might have won 2 more games (Penn State and Whisky).

Yeah, I agree. Listen, through two games Rhoda has done an overall good job but we have to remember Mitch had many games where we thought he was turning the corner as a passer. He'd have a pretty good game, then a stinker. Ultimately he just made some bad decisions at inopportune times usually under great duress. His mechanics went to hell and his accuracy...well we've covered all that before.

My point is Mitch looked good to great in many games, sometime against pretty good defenses. We don't yet know what we really have in Rhoda. The level of defensive pressure is going to ramp up and how he (or Croft) responds will be the difference between a meh and a magic season. I won't pop the champagne until we start rolling up some Big Ten wins, particularly MSU and Iowa.

Can't say that - can't say Mitch looked good to great against good defenses. Mitch, at best, looked competent. At best, which was rare.

He is likely a great kid, but his tenure grew exasperating long before he left. I am waiting to see what we have at the position this year, but it is extremely refreshing to not see slow, poor passing Mitch leading an offense under coach Kill/Claeys.

It's refreshing to see the 15-20 yard post route. I can't recall that pass being completed by Leidner much and it may be that it wasn't a play that previous coaches called.
Leidner threw a very good deep ball in my opinion but I love seeing a crossing route where the ball is delivered on time and caught so the receiver can get some yards after catch.

Probably getting ahead of myself here, but if Rhoda plays like that all season, and improves in some areas, he'll get some NFL looks, like Leidner did. I still need to see his deep ball though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhoda looked good on Saturday. He looked OK against Buffalo. Two Games. Two bad teams. We might want to pump the brakes just a tad on his legacy and how crazy it was he didn't play over ML7.

I can only speak as a fan and observer, but when Leidner was in the game, I got nervous each time he took a snap. I never knew what was gonna happen, good or bad. It was never boring, I guess, bit I was always ready for the next Chernobyl. When Rhoda played vs Maryland last season, never once was
I nervous watching him take a snap. I wasn;t expecting anything great to happen, but I never felt as though things would go way wrong.

Not renewing players who have graduated is extremely commonplace and happens everywhere every year. That's what you were referring to? Cute. Yes, that certainly qualifies as a "big mistake." Keep grinding that axe.
2 were juniors, one was in grad school and Minnesota applied for a extra year of eligibility before the last season he played. If you're not going to honor a scholarship after someone has started grad school, don't you think that should be known before he starts grad school and competes for one season of grad school?
Then, the following year, Ace Rogers wanted to return and TC didn't want him. He transferred to a smaller school to play this year. I don't know if he's followed through. Not to mention, Rhoda.

Rhoda looked good on Saturday. He looked OK against Buffalo. Two Games. Two bad teams. We might want to pump the brakes just a tad on his legacy and how crazy it was he didn't play over ML7.

I'm already concerned with what we're going to do after he takes off for the draft....

Probably getting ahead of myself here, but if Rhoda plays like that all season, and improves in some areas, he'll get some NFL looks, like Leidner did. I still need to see his deep ball though.
No disrespect, but seriously doubt that will happen. Rhoda appears to be a competent game manager against weak to less than average teams. I think and hope he can do as well against a little better teams, but suspect he will struggle against Wisconsin, Michigan, and a couple others.

I suppose it's within the realm of possibility we had Kellen Moore sitting on the bench all this time. I think it's more likely he'll have some ups and downs like last week but he's already exceeded expectations and we can't rule out a Cinderella story. How incredible would that be?

Regarding Mitch I thought I made it clear he has issues as a passer but I guess not. Memories are malleable and perhaps we tend to only remember the bad times and forget the good times. Sure, not a common occurrence particularly last year and especially vs Wisconsin.

2 were juniors, one was in grad school and Minnesota applied for a extra year of eligibility before the last season he played. If you're not going to honor a scholarship after someone has started grad school, don't you think that should be known before he starts grad school and competes for one season of grad school?
Then, the following year, Ace Rogers wanted to return and TC didn't want him. He transferred to a smaller school to play this year. I don't know if he's followed through. Not to mention, Rhoda.

If these were huge mistakes and he turned away so many great players, why didn't any of them end up at another Power 5 school?

If these were huge mistakes and he turned away so many great players, why didn't any of them end up at another Power 5 school?
One did. As a matter of fact, he declined an invite to the Vikings mini-camp for a tryout to make the transfer. The other guys just moved on with the life. Rogers transferred, but was handicapped by his injury history at Minn. But Claeys should've given him a chance to return given that. Rhoda obviously didn't accept Claeys decision. The kid has balls obviously and wasn't going to let someone else dictate his future.
And, as has pointed out, Rhoda is proving that he can lead a B1G team to victory. Not good enough for TC to even keep around.

Top Bottom