Rhoda and the previous regime

everybody knows my name

Freakishly Hyperintelligent
Reaction score
I'm a big Jerry Kill fan, and I respect Tracy Claeys. But is it possible that they never had any idea what they had with Conor Rhoda? Two games into the season, Rhoda looks like a very capable QB, and Fleck is praising his leadership. I'm not saying he deserved to start over Leidner or that he'll sustain his current level of play, but we've received a narrative that that there was virtually no quarterback talent on the roster.

I believe the previous threat placed a greater importance on the QB being a running threat than Fleck does, which is why Kill never really considered Rhoda.

Meh....I think Kill and Claeys were aware of what Conner Rhoda could bring to the table, but Mitch was the heart and soul of the team (like it or not) and there was really no reason to look elsewhere until he was hurt and Rhoda got the start against Maryland..... I can't recall the reasons that put Croft in a game in 2015 using his redshirt.

Very impressed with Rhoda's play so far. At this point, this is his team moving forward.

His movement in the pocket and pocket awareness are incredibly impressive. In that respect alone, he is considerably ahead of Leidner. To this point, not one of those awkward sacks Leidner used to take where he just had no clue where to go or what to do when the pressure came. And when Rhoda moves around in the pocket, his eyes are downfield all the time.

The faults of Rhoda through 2 games, to some extent, are ones that will easily be rectified with more playing time; sliding and not sliding, awareness of the line to gain for 1st down, when to keep on the read option.

At the end of the day, he's 3-0 as a starter with two road Power 5 wins (regardless of what the caliber opponent may have been). It's hard to gripe about that. 19-for-28 for 334 yards passing, 2 TD, 1 INT, 2-0 record through 2 games. I'll take it.

What seems crazy to me is the fact that Claeys wasn't even going to renew the scholarship. While they may have seen Demry as the starter this year, it seems clear that Rhoda and Croft are the best two quarterbacks on the roster -- and why on earth you would pull a scholarship from your back-up QB I have no idea.

In regards to the previous regime, you can't mismanage the QB position without making horrible decisions. Rhoda not being retained on scholarship was just going to be the next in a long line.

He throws a pretty accurate ball......and has the mobility/awareness to get out of a collapsing pocket. I am looking forward to the Maryland game. Should be a game in which we won't be going to a 'run out the clock' offense. I want to see what he can do in a game where he throws much more than eight passes.

Different coaches - different systems, different priorities. I'm not saying either side is right or wrong.

I'm just saying that Claeys and Johnson apparently believed that Rhoda was not capable of providing what they wanted from the QB position. He clearly has some skills, and is capable of playing well - but he's playing under a different system for a different coaching staff. It's impossible to say what he might have done playing under Claeys and Johnson this year, but all we can surmise is that Claeys and Johnson wanted to go in a different direction. Coaches make decisions and live with the consequences. Sometimes those decisions impact the lives of student-athletes.

But - bottom line - in one system, the coaches are asking the QB to do X, Y & X. in a different system, the coaches are asking the QB to do A, B & C. it's hard to make a direct comparison.

I will just say that Rhoda could never make the run that Croft made in the 4th Qtr. Of course, there are things Rhoda does well that Croft does not do as well, either. It all comes down to what the coaches want out of that position.

Just like that pro team that wanted a RB who could pass-block and catch the ball, so their old RB went to another team.

He looked very average against Buffalo when you offset his td pass to Johnson with the int. And he looked very capable against Oregon St. , but Oregon St. is a terrible team. A lot worse than I thought they were going to be. I don't think the world has slept on Rhoda, he's getting a chance that he's worked for and is making the most of it. I do think he's receiving the best qb coaching he's had since he's been here.

No knock on Rhoda but while the numbers were excellent he himself didn't do anything all that impressive throwing the ball. He had a nice back shoulder throw to Johnson but otherwise he hit a couple wide open WRs and didn't make any mistakes. Thats good stuff but so far nothing to say he should've been playing last year

Meh....I think Kill and Claeys were aware of what Conner Rhoda could bring to the table, but Mitch was the heart and soul of the team (like it or not) and there was really no reason to look elsewhere until he was hurt and Rhoda got the start against Maryland..... I can't recall the reasons that put Croft in a game in 2015 using his redshirt.
Croft played at Northwestern because Mitch had been terrible to that point of the season. And while I don't think it was Leidner's fault, the entire offense was abysmal at NW. I'm convinced the staff was ready to make a change to Croft -- or at least start giving him more time in upcoming games -- but then Leidner was pretty good the rest if the season.

Why Croft and not Rhoda (or Streveler) is the question. Just further evidence that both Kill and Claeys saw value in Croft they didn't see in the others.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No knock on Rhoda but while the numbers were excellent he himself didn't do anything all that impressive throwing the ball. He had a nice back shoulder throw to Johnson but otherwise he hit a couple wide open WRs and didn't make any mistakes. Thats good stuff but so far nothing to say he should've been playing last year

Compared to what we've seen the last few years as far as passing the football, it seems like he is the next coming Joe Montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't that have been a reason to play last year?
Different topic: The Gophers may have gone undefeated last year just with the philosophy of PJ to run the ball with a lead. We were ahead in all 13 games in the second half.
Different point: Plus, we pass so much better this year design/scheme wise.
Forget who is the quarterback...just putting guys in position to make plays they are capable of. We have not seen the quarterback turn his back to line of scrimmage or roll left after facing right and pivoting to reverse direction. etc etc In addition, asking the quarterbacks to do the things they are best at this year....utilizing their strengths.

In addition, if Tracy was the coach, Seth Green would have been given the first opportunity to start....not Croft.

Different coaches - different systems, different priorities. I'm not saying either side is right or wrong.

I'm just saying that Claeys and Johnson apparently believed that Rhoda was not capable of providing what they wanted from the QB position. He clearly has some skills, and is capable of playing well - but he's playing under a different system for a different coaching staff. It's impossible to say what he might have done playing under Claeys and Johnson this year, but all we can surmise is that Claeys and Johnson wanted to go in a different direction. Coaches make decisions and live with the consequences. Sometimes those decisions impact the lives of student-athletes.

But - bottom line - in one system, the coaches are asking the QB to do X, Y & X. in a different system, the coaches are asking the QB to do A, B & C. it's hard to make a direct comparison.

I will just say that Rhoda could never make the run that Croft made in the 4th Qtr. Of course, there are things Rhoda does well that Croft does not do as well, either. It all comes down to what the coaches want out of that position.

Just like that pro team that wanted a RB who could pass-block and catch the ball, so their old RB went to another team.

All fair observations, but this is kind of a case of answering a question I didn't ask. I'm not asking "why wasn't he our starter last year." I'm pondering why they didn't even see this kid as worthy of staying on scholarship as a third stringer. Based on what we've seen so far, he seems fully qualified for that.

All fair observations, but this is kind of a case of answering a question I didn't ask. I'm not asking "why wasn't he our starter last year." I'm pondering why they didn't even see this kid as worthy of staying on scholarship as a third stringer. Based on what we've seen so far, he seems fully qualified for that.

Because Johnson wanted a running QB, which as we have seen so far this season Rhoda is not. Had the previous staff stayed, we would've had Croft, McLaurin, Green battling for the starters role with some FR recruit as well. No offense to Rhoda, but he didn't fit their plans and they would have used the scholarship on a different player.

Like SON said, Rhoda doesn't have the skills they wanted. They recruited a JC quarterback who they thought could run the ball. They were high on Green and Croft also easily has more ability to run than Rhoda. That staff was not good at evaluating quarterbacks or helping them succeed. They had their three quarterbacks. They had a different philosophy. I'm much happier with these offensive coaches. Did you notice we had Brooks and Smith on the field at the same time last night? How often did we do that last year? Lots of differences.

Look at all the time Rhoda has had to survey the field. All day for the most part. We've yet to give up a sack in two games. I'm no Leidner fan, but he might have thrived in Fleck's system too.

He probably wouldn't have kept the ball but I don't think anyone was going to touch him either if he made that same read.

Look at all the time Rhoda has had to survey the field. All day for the most part. We've yet to give up a sack in two games.

One of just 8 teams that can say that.

That being said, we're talking about just 40 total passes (though 4 of the other 7 teams with 0 sacks allowed have attempted fewer stats).

In regards to the previous regime, you can't mismanage the QB position without making horrible decisions. Rhoda not being retained on scholarship was just going to be the next in a long line.

Ok, start listing them.

Look at all the time Rhoda has had to survey the field. All day for the most part. We've yet to give up a sack in two games. I'm no Leidner fan, but he might have thrived in Fleck's system too.

Yeah, I agree. Listen, through two games Rhoda has done an overall good job but we have to remember Mitch had many games where we thought he was turning the corner as a passer. He'd have a pretty good game, then a stinker. Ultimately he just made some bad decisions at inopportune times usually under great duress. His mechanics went to hell and his accuracy...well we've covered all that before.

My point is Mitch looked good to great in many games, sometime against pretty good defenses. We don't yet know what we really have in Rhoda. The level of defensive pressure is going to ramp up and how he (or Croft) responds will be the difference between a meh and a magic season. I won't pop the champagne until we start rolling up some Big Ten wins, particularly MSU and Iowa.

You gonna give Conor the Davey O'Brien Trophy after last night or gonna go right to the Heisman?;)

Starting during Spring Training and up until last night, the vast majority of Gopher fans wanted to see Croft playing QB. Many/most didn't even want to see Rhoda leave the bench. Hope he continues to get better. If not, we'll deal with whatever over reaction comes with it.

GopherHomer:

"Some of the Rhoda backers want to laugh when people explain that his passing stats were inflated due to one play, but want to discount the INT as just one play. They are both flawed passers, but if the improved rushing attack turns out to be more than a statistical anomaly, I think you have to go with Croft.

That was a fabulous throw by Rhoda, though. I can't believe Claeys didn't want him around (I'm kidding - just talking smack. We are 1-0!)"

Rhoda was not a fit for the offense that TC and JJ were going to run. They planned to run a lot with the QB. That simple. Word is Croft wasn't their guy either - he is a better runner than Rhoda, but still a pocket passer more than a runner. Seth Green had the best chance to start from everything I've seen.

Yeah, I agree. Listen, through two games Rhoda has done an overall good job but we have to remember Mitch had many games where we thought he was turning the corner as a passer. He'd have a pretty good game, then a stinker. Ultimately he just made some bad decisions at inopportune times usually under great duress. His mechanics went to hell and his accuracy...well we've covered all that before.

My point is Mitch looked good to great in many games, sometime against pretty good defenses. We don't yet know what we really have in Rhoda. The level of defensive pressure is going to ramp up and how he (or Croft) responds will be the difference between a meh and a magic season. I won't pop the champagne until we start rolling up some Big Ten wins, particularly MSU and Iowa.

To be honest, there was never a point where anyone other than a few diehard hopefuls actually thought Leidner was going to become a good passer.

Rhoda may end up having an awful season. But through two games, he has shown far more promise for passing the football than Leidner did in 4 years. The last time prior to now that we had any hope in a Gopher passing game was the middle of Nelson's first (and only) year, and before then, Weber's freshman season (when he used Decker as a crutch).

I'm a big Jerry Kill fan, and I respect Tracy Claeys. But is it possible that they never had any idea what they had with Conor Rhoda? Two games into the season, Rhoda looks like a very capable QB, and Fleck is praising his leadership. I'm not saying he deserved to start over Leidner or that he'll sustain his current level of play, but we've received a narrative that that there was virtually no quarterback talent on the roster.

Rhoda would've gotten murdered in Limey offense. He is tiny. Plus it wasn't exactly pass friendly and suitable to his strengths.

Leidner's awful play in that game and the ones leading up to it were the reason...

Ok, start listing them.
Too many to list, but how about this. TC didn't renew the scholarships of several players at the end of 2015, but then had 4 or 5 open scholarships under the 85 by the start of 2016 camp. Real smart.

Top Bottom