Best Road Performance Against a Major Conference Foe...

highwayman

Knows Less Than Coaching Staff
Reaction score
...since when? Maybe since the 1960's?

Fleck had an awesome game plan, the play calling was masterful, and the defense was lights out. If not for Croft's fumble and an accidental throw and accidental catch on the fake punt, Minnesota wins 62-0.

I can't think of a Gopher team playing better on the road against a major conference opponent. Anyone think of a better one?

Fleck had an awesome game plan, the play calling was masterful, and the defense was lights out. If not for Croft's fumble and an accidental throw and accidental catch on the fake punt, Minnesota wins 64-0.

I can't think of a Gopher team playing better on the road against a major conference opponent. Anyone think of a better one?

While this was a very nice win, a couple of major road wins against highly ranked teams in the Mason era would beg to differ. Still, it is definitely exciting to see a UMinn football team dominate on the road like that.

Fleck had an awesome game plan, the play calling was masterful, and the defense was lights out. If not for Croft's fumble and an accidental throw and accidental catch on the fake punt, Minnesota wins 64-0.

If you consider the Big 10 a major conference, there are a lot of much better performances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were at Northwestern in 2003 when they beat-up on the Wildcats. Just looked and the final was 42-17. Think they had some big wins against Illinois and Indiana on the road too.

All that said, last night was pretty sweet.

I guess I mean a more "complete win". This was utterly dominating and on the road. Maybe Michigan 2014?

There have always been good, tough road wins, but this was massive. But for two fluke plays, OSU was never in this one. Mason wins were never really complete with our HS defensive schemes.

I guess I mean a more "complete win". This was utterly dominating and on the road. Maybe Michigan 2014?

There have always been good, tough road wins, but this was massive. But for two fluke plays, OSU was never in this one. Mason wins were never really complete with our HS defensive schemes.

Yeah that was a good win. Also Iowa in 2014. EDIT: I guess Iowa was at home though.

I'll say it again. You're never as good as you think you are after a win, and you're never as bad as you think you are after a loss.

Nice win for the Gophers. With all due respect, Oregon State is not a great team. But, a definite step forward for the team. the real key is to see continued progress. Watch the film, find something that needs improvement, and work on that in practice. The Gophers are going to have to play a lot better to do well in the B1G.

I would much rather have a team that peaked in week #7 or #8 as opposed to peaking in week #2.

This game says more about Oregon St. than Minnesota.

This game doesn't compare to road wins we've had in conference. Oregon State is one of the 5 worst Power 5 teams.

I'll say it again. You're never as good as you think you are after a win, and you're never as bad as you think you are after a loss.

Nice win for the Gophers. With all due respect, Oregon State is not a great team. But, a definite step forward for the team. the real key is to see continued progress. Watch the film, find something that needs improvement, and work on that in practice. The Gophers are going to have to play a lot better to do well in the B1G.

I would much rather have a team that peaked in week #7 or #8 as opposed to peaking in week #2.

That's a lot of cliches in a pretty short post. ;)

So the Gophs have peaked for you...?

Yeah that was a good win. Also Iowa in 2014. EDIT: I guess Iowa was at home though.

I don't even care whether or not it fits in this thread or not. That game was easily the best Gophers football game I've been to (watching/attending since 2007). That game was just a total exorcism of all the gut-wrenching losses that came before it. Also an exorcism of getting blanked at home by Iowa and sitting through the 2nd half with the stadium 2/3 full of entirely Hawkeye fans.

Getting some typical passive/aggressive "Minnesotan" responses here, what I expected. Seems like only Minnesotans downplay a quality win by unqualifying the opponent and denying the skills and play of their own players.

This was a road game against a major conference foe. At night and on the west coast, after a 3 hour plane flight and jet lag. With the specter of a possible postponement or cancellation. In the rain. With a new coach. With untested QBs. And they hadn't won at a Pac-12 school in 30 years. And they won by 34 points.

This was a MAJOR benchmark win in a big gut test for this program.

Take off the self-loathing shades and enjoy. Once. You may like it.

And PBGT, you are 100% correct.

Oregon State made only 35 net yards in the second half. I don't care who you're playing that is junkyard dog ass tough defense. Yes, Oregon State is not very good, but to say they're one of the top 5 worst in the Power 5 is ridiculously stupid, especially early in the season.

Oregon State made only 35 net yards in the second half. I don't care who you're playing that is junkyard dog ass tough defense. Yes, Oregon State is not very good, but to say they're one of the top 5 worst in the Power 5 is ridiculously stupid, especially early in the season.
By how much did OSU beat Portland State?
That should be enough to sink your ship.

Traveling to the West coast to play a football game is difficult. This one came with a ton of distractions. This coaching staff got the team to ignore all the reasons, all the excuses why they maybe could have difficulty. We took total control of the game. We played disciplined. Rank it where you want...it was impressive. Great coaching, great performance by the team.

I don't even care whether or not it fits in this thread or not. That game was easily the best Gophers football game I've been to (watching/attending since 2007). That game was just a total exorcism of all the gut-wrenching losses that came before it. Also an exorcism of getting blanked at home by Iowa and sitting through the 2nd half with the stadium 2/3 full of entirely Hawkeye fans.

I'm jealous. Wish I was there. I didn't have my season tickets yet in 2014. The night name against Michigan on Halloween was fun even though we lost. Harbaugh's first year. We led pretty much the whole game. If I remember right I think we were up 10 at halftime. The atmosphere was great. Fans were full of energy. I had a blast until the end of the game. Almost lost my voice.

"Traveling to the West coast to play a football game is difficult. This one came with a ton of distractions. This coaching staff got the team to ignore all the reasons, all the excuses why they maybe could have difficulty. We took total control of the game. We played disciplined. Rank it where you want...it was impressive. Great coaching, great performance by the team."

...Kind of like the bowl game 8 months ago...

OMG...Coach Claeys is not gone after all!

JOKING...just Joking...

This does give some extra hope on what was left in the cupboard...plus the new ingredients...and how well the new coaching staff can cook...

It was a great win.

When we are at a point where we are saying things like "yeah, we dominated a power 5 conference team on the road, but they aren't that good" - - we are in a good place.

The team played great. It was a perfectly called game. I love that PJ essentially said, we are going to run on this team and eventually we did. I liked the way Rhoda played (better than I ever thought he could, I'll gladly eat that crow) and the team just looked good.

On another note, small sample size, but our defensive coaches have been really adjusting well in these last two games. Not great teams, I get it. But our defense hasn't given up a thing in the second half.

The best road win, for me, was Mason's win over JoePa at Happy Valley.

Nebraska was fun a few year ago...no way did we dominate but the D was good especially at the end:)

The best road win, for me, was Mason's win over JoePa at Happy Valley.

I agree its my favorite too, but that game was frought with mistakes by PSU and a couple of miracle plays by the Gophers. Last night's team was absolutely dominant.

It was a great win.

When we are at a point where we are saying things like "yeah, we dominated a power 5 conference team on the road, but they aren't that good" - - we are in a good place.

The team played great. It was a perfectly called game. I love that PJ essentially said, we are going to run on this team and eventually we did. I liked the way Rhoda played (better than I ever thought he could, I'll gladly eat that crow) and the team just looked good.

On another note, small sample size, but our defensive coaches have been really adjusting well in these last two games. Not great teams, I get it. But our defense hasn't given up a thing in the second half.

Double thumbs up, Bob.

Umm, Rupert....Oregon St is most certainly a candidate for one of the worst Power Five teams in college football.

Five Worst teams in Power Five College Football

5. Syracuse
4. Oregon State
3. Rutgers
2. Kansas
1. Baylor

There have been a lot better. Nebraska 2014 immediately comes to mind. Gophers played well last night and did what they should. But this Oregon State team probably won't win a conference game.

Umm, Rupert....Oregon St is most certainly a candidate for one of the worst Power Five teams in college football.

Five Worst teams in Power Five College Football

5. Syracuse
4. Oregon State
3. Rutgers
2. Kansas
1. Baylor

Would tend to agree in the Power 5 , ( 5 Conferences ) , but not in the total FBS ( 10 Conferences). Also what about Virginia?

I think it's a great take, they're definitely a bottom feeder right now.

Would tend to agree in the Power 5 , ( 5 Conferences ) , but not in the total FBS ( 10 Conferences). Also what about Virginia?

I am completely befuddled by your statements.

Yes, Oregon State is not very good, but to say they're one of the top 5 worst in the Power 5 is ridiculously stupid, especially early in the season.

Top Bottom