The Oregonian on Gopher Fans and Fleck

Iceland12

Reaction score
9:05 p.m. Loge Level of Reser Stadium, Corvallis

Want a sign of how quickly Minnesota fans have taken to new coach PJ Fleck?

When Golden Gophers fan David Krutsch’s wife went into an interview for a teaching job this summer, she peppered her interview with Fleck’s motivational sayings.

And the Fleck effect isn’t limited to the office. With his “Row the Boat” catchphrase, which he popularized at Western Michigan, paired with Minnesota’s already established “Ski-U-Mah” chant, Fleck has created loads of goodwill in the Twin Cities -- a pro-team market -- that has extended into new family traditions.

“Anytime something bad happens, my wife will say ‘Row the Boat!’ and the kids will say ‘Ski-U-Mah!’” Krutsch said, smiling on the loge level of Reser Stadium. “It’s just a little family chat we say back and forth now. We all know what it means. OK, fix it. Fix your attitude.”

Fleck's own attitude appears perpetually never in need of fixing.

He sprints up the sidelines between quarters, and his team follows. He dips into a squat on each snap, as if he’s wearing a helmet, not a headset.

“He’s elite,” said Jon Jacobs, another Minnesota fan. “Guy is the most wound up dude I’ve ever seen in my entire life, and we’re glad we got him.”

So are the Krutsches. Last week, when Krutsch, his wife and their two young sons attended Minnesota’s home game, Fleck stopped to say hello beforehand.

“He gave my son a hug and grabbed his cheek and said thanks for coming buddy and rubbed his head,” Krutsch said. “My 9-year-old will remember that forever.”

And it sounds as though their family will be Fleck fans for a long time, too.

That teaching interview in which Krutsch's wife dropped Fleck one-liners? Yeah, she got the job.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pac-12/in...ing_oregon_and_oregon.html#incart_river_index

Top Bottom