The Fleck Effect

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
My wife and I attended the Oregon vs Nebraska game Saturday. We joined the public tailgate which is a large area with food, beer, music and TV. We wore our maroon and gold so people knew we were Gopher fans.

I would guess 200 people approached us in 2 hours (it was fairly exhausting) and of those 200, 195 mentioned Fleck or Row the Boat. People would pretend to Row. They'd ask our thoughts, say they are jealous of the hire, etc.

I'm not even talking about the thorough beat down on the road against Oregon State. I'm talking about what PJ is doing on a national level. No one knows our coaching staff. They know PJ. They know RTB.

Trying to present this without too much bias. Just an interesting experience as I doubt I'll be a "neutral" fan again anytime soon.

That's great to hear.

Interesting how making the right hire brews interest about the program from other parts of the nation.
We have an identity / brand now.
Something far better than the negative press which would circulate nationally in the past.

As a known Gopher diehard living amidst Hawkeye and Cyclone fans I hear a lot about Fleck, especially form the Hawk fans. The 'Being PJ Fleck' show is unbelievable advertising for the program and the Hawk fans are frankly worried about his recruiting ability, and yes they ALL watch the show. Ferentz is a good coach but nobody is going to produce a 'Being Kirk Ferentz' show and run it constantly on the Big 10 network and ESPNU. The recruits are watching.

The recruits are watching.

Yup! 100% I saw a few tweets from recruits watching last nights game that had been retweeted onto my feed. For example, 4-Star DE Alex Reigelsperger who is currently committed to Kentucky was tweeting the score and retweeting a fair amount of Row The Boat / Minnesota things. The recruits nationally are paying attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a known Gopher diehard living amidst Hawkeye and Cyclone fans I hear a lot about Fleck, especially form the Hawk fans. The 'Being PJ Fleck' show is unbelievable advertising for the program and the Hawk fans are frankly worried about his recruiting ability, and yes they ALL watch the show. Ferentz is a good coach but nobody is going to produce a 'Being Kirk Ferentz' show and run it constantly on the Big 10 network and ESPNU. The recruits are watching.
"Being Kirk Ferentz" would probably be as popular a show as "The Real Housewives of Ottumwa".

Confirmed that Hawkeye fans are extremely nervous about Fleck's effect on the Gopher program. Naturally, it takes the form of haughty disdain and contempt for his outsized personality, because in Iowa things are done the "right way."

Coming out of Zups Supermarket in Ely this morning I got a SKI -U - MAH ..Row the Boat from a
Twin City visitor up here for the Harvest Moon Festival . Hopefully we all start hearing more of that.

Coming out of Zups Supermarket in Ely this morning I got a SKI -U - MAH ..Row the Boat from a
Twin City visitor up here for the Harvest Moon Festival . Hopefully we all start hearing more of that.
Harvest Moon festival? The radish harvest about ready in Ely? [emoji41]
No doubt the wolves will howl a bit louder for you...

Confirmed that Hawkeye fans are extremely nervous about Fleck's effect on the Gopher program. Naturally, it takes the form of haughty disdain and contempt for his outsized personality, because in Iowa things are done the "right way."

No need to go to Iowa. Just hang around GH.

Harvest Moon festival? The radish harvest about ready in Ely? [emoji41]
No doubt the wolves will howl a bit louder for you...

Naw...the wolves how at the full moon, not for me, which is the time to be fishing walleyes.

My wife and I attended the Oregon vs Nebraska game Saturday. We joined the public tailgate which is a large area with food, beer, music and TV. We wore our maroon and gold so people knew we were Gopher fans.

I would guess 200 people approached us in 2 hours (it was fairly exhausting) and of those 200, 195 mentioned Fleck or Row the Boat. People would pretend to Row. They'd ask our thoughts, say they are jealous of the hire, etc.

I'm not even talking about the thorough beat down on the road against Oregon State. I'm talking about what PJ is doing on a national level. No one knows our coaching staff. They know PJ. They know RTB.

Trying to present this without too much bias. Just an interesting experience as I doubt I'll be a "neutral" fan again anytime soon.

The first paragraph was promising, but the story failed to deliver after that.

My oldest daughter texted me this morning saying that her Pastor, at Mt. Olivet Lutheran Church in Edina, one of the largest Lutheran congregations in America, was preaching about PJ Fleck and the Row The Boat mantra and what it really means.

My oldest daughter texted me this morning saying that her Pastor, at Mt. Olivet Lutheran Church in Edina, one of the largest Lutheran congregations in America, was preaching about PJ Fleck and the Row The Boat mantra and what it really means.

Wow. God IS on our side now!

Somebody needs to get Goldy a rowing machine for the sideline.

Top Bottom