[POST GAME THREAD] Minnesota defeats Oregon State 48 - 14

I know Rhoda ran the ball in this game but does anyone know how many times he kept on the read option? Croft's long TD run proves that Oregon St. was selling out to stop the RBs with little attention to the QB. If Brooks and Smith are going to average more than 3 yards per carry the QB run has to be a threat.

The OL may not be as bad as they've looked since the opponent is keying 7-8 guys on stuffing the RB up the middle rather than paying any attention to the QB.

If Rhoda is the starter from here on, Rodney and Shannon will continue to struggle breaking long runs.

If I never hear a chainsaw again, I'll be OK with that.

Sounds like a number of people are p.o'd that the Gophers played well and won big.

Tough to troll after a 4 Touchdown win, but pretty easy to whine and nitpick.

Enjoyed the win, loved the score, enjoyed watching the Offense control the play and the same defense that shut down Buffalo do it again in the 2nd Half against OSU.

Sounds like a number of people are p.o'd that the Gophers played well and won big.

Enjoyed the win, loved the score, enjoyed watching the Offense control the play and the same defense that shut down Buffalo do it again in the 2nd Half against OSU.

Seems like it.

I know Rhoda ran the ball in this game but does anyone know how many times he kept on the read option? Croft's long TD run proves that Oregon St. was selling out to stop the RBs with little attention to the QB. If Brooks and Smith are going to average more than 3 yards per carry the QB run has to be a threat.

The OL may not be as bad as they've looked since the opponent is keying 7-8 guys on stuffing the RB up the middle rather than paying any attention to the QB.

If Rhoda is the starter from here on, Rodney and Shannon will continue to struggle breaking long runs.

It is pretty obvious that the run game has more room when Croft is in. I still think we'll see a split and by no means has Rhoda won the QB job outright after last night even though he was very solid.

The reason we didn't see more Croft is because of the fumble. Fleck was able to prove a point and essentially bench Croft with the offense still able to move the ball. Fleck mentioned post game that Croft failed when he tried to pick the ball back up and he needs to just jump on it.

Seems like it.

:rolleyes:

In the offseason you predicted 3-4 wins. If we won 6 it was time to build a statue. You may have recently revised your expectation to 5? You're in no position to be heckling people about positivity.

After a big win nitpicking is about all one can do. Are you saying every aspect of the game was 100% perfect and nothing could be improved?

Replay/streaming option ??

Don't have a DVR and wanted to rewatch the game again.

Anyone know where the game can be played again?

It wasn't on BTN2go( thought it might be with the relationship between BtN and Fox), nor in Fox Sports app. ESPN and Btn do a nice job of having the games available after the game is over.

Thx in advance.

On the game nice to see the team respond to a bizarre 2nd Q .... and dominate the 2nd half. I wasn't sure if Smith and Co could continue the very good D from last year. Looks like the it'll be ok. :)

Ski U Mah! RTB!

Was it a good win, bad win, asterisk win? I'm confused....

If I never hear a chainsaw again, I'll be OK with that.

Towards the end of the game, every time I heard that my brain was thinking... "Oh, this is where we run another play and get another first down".
I didn't mind it.

Really a great win.

Capitalized on the Beaver mistakes and did not let our own sink us.

Coach Fleck certainly has a variety of facial expressions to go with his personna.

Now rowing on to Middle Tennessee at TCF!

Disagree...if you look at the first half...Rhoda had 3 series, then Croft had 3, then Rhoda came back in...just a coincidence that the fumble was on Croft's third series.

Our series in the first half:
Punt - Rhoda was QB
TD Johnson - Rhoda
FG - Rhoda
TD - Croft first series
Fumble - Croft
FG - Rhoda back in
End of half -Rhoda
So it wasn't a coincidence

The good - Johnson the playmaker, Rhoda's passing, Brooks and Smith's second effort, Carpenter was money, Celestin in beast-mode, second half defense, second half offense, P5 road win in a blowout
The bad - our DBs still struggle at times, still not getting the initial push at the line of scrimmage from the O-line, teams still focusing only on the RB since Rhoda is not a threat in the read option
The ugly - Allowing them the 4th down conversion on the fake punt in the 1st half, still don't really care for the all white units, the personal attack that occurred in the In-game thread

Hard to state anything as bad in a blowout win over any power five opponent on the road so instead of "The Bad" it would be more appropriate to read, "Needs Improving" but that screws up the movie title :) Great win!!!!

I see more complaining about complaining in this thread than I see actual complaining about the game. The thought this site needs to be all motherhood and apple pie is sickening.

Rhoda looked great. No question. His fumble was bad, but it bounced out of bounce so folks will forget. Other than that he did everything right.

Croft had a bad fumble. It didn't go out of bounce. People won't forget. Other than that he handed the ball off and ran for a 64 yard touchdown. Didn't pass once. Let's not act like he was atrocious tonight. He was a backup who didn't play much.

Running game will need to improve to win in the B1G.

Overall a great game by our team. Hard to find reasons to complain - always areas to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is pretty obvious that the run game has more room when Croft is in. I still think we'll see a split and by no means has Rhoda won the QB job outright after last night even though he was very solid.

The reason we didn't see more Croft is because of the fumble. Fleck was able to prove a point and essentially bench Croft with the offense still able to move the ball. Fleck mentioned post game that Croft failed when he tried to pick the ball back up and he needs to just jump on it.

The point he proved is he went back on his word. He stated he wasn't going to make a QB decision based on emotion. Last week when Rhoda threw the really bad int., he didn't do that. This week Croft mishandles the snap and gets "benched". To me that is sending a mixed message to the team.

The good - Johnson the playmaker, Rhoda's passing, Brooks and Smith's second effort, Carpenter was money, Celestin in beast-mode, second half defense, second half offense, P5 road win in a blowout
The bad - our DBs still struggle at times, still not getting the initial push at the line of scrimmage from the O-line, teams still focusing only on the RB since Rhoda is not a threat in the read option
The ugly - Allowing them the 4th down conversion on the fake punt in the 1st half, still don't really care for the all white units, the personal attack that occurred in the In-game thread

Hard to state anything as bad in a blowout win over any power five opponent on the road so instead of "The Bad" it would be more appropriate to read, "Needs Improving" but that screws up the movie title :) Great win!!!!

That was a tough play to defend. OSU had a goofy formation and we were a little confused on who were the eligible receivers. In hindsight, we may have wanted to take a TO right there. Wouldn't call that play Ugly, it was a play that OSU won, due to formation and execution.
I'll agree that the in game thread personal attack was the most ugly thing of all.

The point he proved is he went back on his word. He stated he wasn't going to make a QB decision based on emotion. Last week when Rhoda threw the really bad int., he didn't do that. This week Croft mishandles the snap and gets "benched". To me that is sending a mixed message to the team.

I disagree and Fleck addressed it post game. In practice they preach to the offense to not try and pick up a fumble, only jump on it. Croft went against that by trying to pick it up and make a play. It wasn't just the fumble, but how he reacted to it. Had he not done that, he probably would have played more.

Not really. Fleck and his staff constantly talk about "taking care of the ball". How the football "is the game". One of the first things he was asked and talked about was the QB situation and he responded with something along the lines of how important not turning over the ball was.

Croft wasn't hit. He dropped a snap. Less than perfect maybe, but he dropped it and then rather than falling on it, he tried to pick it up and lost the ball. Understandable, but he did lose the ball.

Fleck, also understandable, reacted they way he would be expected to.

I disagree and Fleck addressed it post game. In practice they preach to the offense to not try and pick up a fumble, only jump on it. Croft went against that by trying to pick it up and make a play. It wasn't just the fumble, but how he reacted to it. Had he not done that, he probably would have played more.

Ok, that makes sense.

I thought the targeting call was BS. B1G officials must get a bonus for making this call. If that same call had been against Mn we would have been screaming like hell.

I totally disagree! The WR head snapped straight back from the hit. He is lucky he didn't break his neck. The defender had time to let up just a little, but he chose to drive through the hit. Targeting doesn't mean the defender intentionally went for the head, it means that they chose to lay a big hit on an indefensible player and made dangerous contact with the head. That play is exactly why they have the call. If the DB's arm is just a few inches lower then our player may have had to live the rest of his life in a wheelchair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought the targeting call was BS. B1G officials must get a bonus for making this call. If that same call had been against Mn we would have been screaming like hell.

You simply aren't allowed to lead with the crown of your helmet like that on a defenseless player in the vicinity of their head. It was a careless play and deserved the targeting call.

You simply aren't allowed to lead with the crown of your helmet like that on a defenseless player in the vicinity of their head. It was a careless play and deserved the targeting call.

Yep, he even launched himself at him helmet first like a spear. I was very vocal last year about some of the calls not being targeting, but that one seemed pretty simple to me.

My main concern with the offense is over-relying on RS and SB- why haven't we used McCrary more to spell them a bit? Both those young men gimped off the field a couple of times. Wasn't like they were running through open corridors the entire night getting tackled by a single man- they were getting pummeled a lot and miraculously breaking enough tackles to gain 4 yards a shot. IMO if they don't get at least a third guy in the rotation we'll regret it.

I agree fully. The O line didn't look good most of the time IMHO. The running backs had to largely make their own way much too often. Also on the several power sweeps tried in the game, there didn't seem to be any pulling linemen to help. Thank goodness OSU had so many stupid penalties that saved our offense several times in key situations. I thought the targeting call was BS. B1G officials must get a bonus for making this call. If that same call had been against Mn we would have been screaming like hell.

I assume you're talking about the personal foul on Rhoda because it was absolutely targeting on Douglas.

I see more complaining about complaining in this thread than I see actual complaining about the game. The thought this site needs to be all motherhood and apple pie is sickening.

Rhoda looked great. No question. His fumble was bad, but it bounced out of bounce so folks will forget. Other than that he did everything right.

Croft had a bad fumble. It didn't go out of bounce. People won't forget. Other than that he handed the ball off and ran for a 64 yard touchdown. Didn't pass once. Let's not act like he was atrocious tonight. He was a backup who didn't play much.

Running game will need to improve to win in the B1G.

Overall a great game by our team. Hard to find reasons to complain - always areas to improve.

I agree it's hard to say much about Croft due to his little playing time. I think we are seeing that the coaches trust Rhoda more. I am kind of wondering if we will settle in with Rhoda as the main guy with Croft as a change-of-pace guy. Maybe 4 series for Rhoda and one for Croft ratio.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

I agree it's hard to say much about Croft due to his little playing time. I think we are seeing that the coaches trust Rhoda more. I am kind of wondering if we will settle in with Rhoda as the main guy with Croft as a change-of-pace guy. Maybe 4 series for Rhoda and one for Croft ratio.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

I would agree the coaches trust Rhoda more. I prefer a 1 QB approach so if they prefer Rhoda, so do I. Two thoughts on that...
- Ditch the read option. Doesn't work with CR15.
- I wouldn't mind Croft getting some play still, but only if they are willing to let him throw. We don't need what Kill did with MG5 one year.

Top Bottom