[POST GAME THREAD] Minnesota defeats Oregon State 48 - 14

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
Could you hear us on TV??
c16fc9e411f59aa3ed4088508ec63a3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhoda efficient through the air and the run game picks up some steam in the 2nd half.

I'm still concerned about the offensive line but the defense is good enough to keep us in almost every game.

I posted in the chat I didn't want to see another Beaver TD after the first half! And to my surprise, I never did! Awesome effort in the second half. That Celestin hit on the RB and QB should show up as a highlight this week.

I'm glad I stayed up for this one.

Off to bed... highly likely my 2 year old wakes up soon..... really soon...

Rhoda efficient through the air and the run game picks up some steam in the 2nd half.

I'm still concerned about the offensive line but the defense is good enough to keep us in almost every game.

---------------------
The offensive line is just fine in pass protection and improving in run blocking.. They haven't allowed a sack yet this year..

Beautiful game, beautiful area. They don't take fb too seriously though. Looked so much better tonight

I'm impressed with Rhoda's feel in the pocket. He did a good job moving around and extending the play. He made good decisions as to when to run or throw.

58 rushes to 8 pass attempts for the game. With a 15 play (all run) 9+ minute drive in the 2nd half to close the door on any hope OSU on coming back. Defense wins the Turnover battle which led to strong field position as well. That was fun to watch.

On to MTSU.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ulmor burned his redshirt tonight. Anyone else see any true freshman play besides Ulmor and Douglas?

After last week, I was worried about how the guys would play in their first road game under the new staff.

So much for those worries.

Have to say, this was one of the more complete performances I can remember from a Gophers football team. Only threw the ball eight times (completing seven) and won by five touchdowns on the road. That's pretty darn good no matter who you're playing.

The improvements from week one to week two were especially impressive. Granted, Oregon State is probably going to have a tough year. But I was hoping for added maturity and better execution on both sides of the ball tonight and that's exactly what we got.

Big-time kudos to Robb Smith and the defense. They were lights-out good in the second half.

The offense also made noticeable strides. Rhoda looked poised and confident all night and as a group, they wore out the Beavers in the second half. Really like Tyler Johnson, but who wouldn't after how he's started this season?

No complaints on this one. Just a good, solid, convincing win.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great win on the road.

The good

Connor Rhoda looked competent. No mistakes.
TJ
Jonathan Celestin individual performance
Celestin' massive hit on Pierce in the backfield
The defense played with energy and great pursuit all night
Carpenter bounced back
Gary Moore with the beautiful strip sack
Barber with the giant hit on Nall
Pressure on Luton - Robb impressing so far

The bad

First half officials were über sloppy
Connelly blowing up the read option in the red zone
Shenault struggled a little early
Allowing the fake punt

The ugly

Anderson's future at OSU
Nothing - dominant win!

Definitely happy with the scoreline, and the road win.
Happy with Rhoda, happy with Carpenter, happy with Santoso, happy with defensive front seven, happy with Johnson, happy with our running backs.

Not happy with our offensive line, our defensive backs, and Demry Croft.
This is a good win against what could very well be a 1-11 team.

Our offensive line looked slightly improved, they'll need to look even more slightly improved next week against a better MTSU team.
Demry showed worse decision making this week than Rhoda did last week.
Also looks like our entire offense is better with Rhoda on the field so I think we can call that question answered.

Our defensive backs were sloppy, but I'm not too worried about that just yet as it was a late game, and OSU got crazy lucky on a couple of plays.

Fleck's o-line is a work in progress and he really needs to accelerate that progress.

Ulmor burned his redshirt tonight. Anyone else see any true freshman play besides Ulmor and Douglas?

Redshirts are not "burned". Stop the BS, please. A player can be redshirted any time, re: Croft. Stop using an uninformed, ignorant term.

Redshirts are not "burned". Stop the BS, please. A player can be redshirted any time, re: Croft. Stop using an uninformed, ignorant term.

I mean, he's technically correct in that it's "burned" for this season.

Not happy with our offensive line, our defensive backs, and Demry Croft.

Demry showed worse decision making this week than Rhoda did last week.
Also looks like our entire offense is better with Rhoda on the field so I think we can call that question answered.

If I recall, Demry had 3 series tonight and we scored on two of them. How can you say he had worse decision making?
Rhoda did look good, but Croft wasn't given an equal chance to run the offense tonight as PJ went with Rhoda.

When we started with the ball tonight and Rhoda went out for the first series, I was a little puzzled, because I would have thought PJ would want to let Croft start the game to evaluate how he would do starting and how Rhoda would do coming in off the bench. But, he didn't so no big deal. Also, thought it was odd when Croft didn't come out in the next series after the fumble, because PJ had said he wasn't going to make an in game decision on the QB based on emotion, and then he did. Having said that, I believe our QB situation is coming into focus and Rhoda has won the job. He won't be a real running threat, but he doesn't need to if he can continue to hurt teams with the pass. If we start to stall on offense, then we do have a capable back up in Demry who can come in a provide a different look/dimension for the D to have to account for in the run game and he can also throw it.

Haha alright fine, I used the wrong equation, but we got to the same answer.

I think it's as simple as Rhoda is the hot hand. That may or not continue as we get into league play. Croft got the hook faster than Megadeath at a Christmas Pageant. If he were as head and shoulders better than Croft as some seem to think we wouldn't have gone through this exercise to begin with.

If I recall, Demry had 3 series tonight and we scored on two of them. How can you say he had worse decision making?
Rhoda did look good, but Croft wasn't given an equal chance to run the offense tonight as PJ went with Rhoda.

When we started with the ball tonight and Rhoda went out for the first series, I was a little puzzled, because I would have thought PJ would want to let Croft start the game to evaluate how he would do starting and how Rhoda would do coming in off the bench. But, he didn't so no big deal. Also, thought it was odd when Croft didn't come out in the next series after the fumble, because PJ had said he wasn't going to make an in game decision on the QB based on emotion, and then he did. Having said that, I believe our QB situation is coming into focus and Rhoda has won the job. He won't be a real running threat, but he doesn't need to if he can continue to hurt teams with the pass. If we start to stall on offense, then we do have a capable back up in Demry who can come in a provide a different look/dimension for the D to have to account for in the run game and he can also throw it.

In the end, pretty tough to argue the QB usage tonight.

I was most impressed with how the team responded once the game tightened to 17-14. There were a lot of very bad plays from both the offense and the defense and a very fluky fake punt conversion and all the momentum was on the home teams side. The Gophers righted the ship (the boat?) and went back to dominating the football game.

I don't know how much we can take from this game...I was concerned that we couldn't pick up 3rd and short in the first half against this OSU run defense and even in the second half a couple of key conversions happened simply because Rodney or Shannon bounced off multiple tacklers and we certainly can't count on that against better teams with bigger, faster, and stronger defenders....the Oline has to open more holes and I hope Weyler isn't out long even though Olson appeared to do well. If Rhoda is going to be the guy, the QB run part of the RPO is almost nonexistent he looks extremely uncomfortable running with the ball and he would have actually slid short of an easy first down at one point and we got fairly fortunate that a flag was thrown on a defender for his hit on that play. Couldn't ask for much more out of the limited throws Rhoda made tonight, pretty much every attempt was a success with the exception of his high throw to an open Douglas that also resulted in a flag.

Defensively, I was impressed by how Robb Smith's defense seemed to get better and better as the game wore on. Celestin had a fantastic game after having some struggles on the first series or two where it seemed like he could not stay on his feet. Barber had a huge forced fumble and Martin/Coughlin both were able to get home off the edge.

Absolutely bizarre that this game got bet up to a 2.5 spread in favor of Oregon State. I just can't figure out how (when the line opened at pick-'em) people saw value on the Beavers.

Well at least we were reminded tyler johnson can do this

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sj6lTF_4hWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hopefully this becomes a trend

first round pick if he keeps it up...at least athletic enough to be

Biggest concern is still the OLine. Like others have said smith and brooks created their own yards on most runs by bouncing off guys and breaking tackles. I'd rather not rely on that. They need to get some push or open up some holes every once in a while.

The way the team responded when the game was 17-14 and all the momentum was for OSU was amazing. And the 2nd half adjustments and performance (especially the D) were as good as it gets.

Biggest concern is still the OLine. Like others have said smith and brooks created their own yards on most runs by bouncing off guys and breaking tackles. I'd rather not rely on that. They need to get some push or open up some holes every once in a while.

The way the team responded when the game was 17-14 and all the momentum was for OSU was amazing. And the 2nd half adjustments and performance (especially the D) were as good as it gets.

"Seemed" like the run game was better early, but we were still getting the short runs with no holes. OSU seemed to be loading up for the run, so maybe we were doing well with that, not sure.
We aren't seeing the open lanes for the RB's like we saw more frequently previous seasons.

"Seemed" like the run game was better early, but we were still getting the short runs with no holes. OSU seemed to be loading up for the run, so maybe we were doing well with that, not sure.
We aren't seeing the open lanes for the RB's like we saw more frequently previous seasons.

I agree fully. The O line didn't look good most of the time IMHO. The running backs had to largely make their own way much too often. Also on the several power sweeps tried in the game, there didn't seem to be any pulling linemen to help. Thank goodness OSU had so many stupid penalties that saved our offense several times in key situations. I thought the targeting call was BS. B1G officials must get a bonus for making this call. If that same call had been against Mn we would have been screaming like hell.

I don't think the run game was any worse than the bowl game against Wazzu.

Also, thought it was odd when Croft didn't come out in the next series after the fumble, because PJ had said he wasn't going to make an in game decision on the QB based on emotion, and then he did.

Disagree...if you look at the first half...Rhoda had 3 series, then Croft had 3, then Rhoda came back in...just a coincidence that the fumble was on Croft's third series.

Top Bottom