STrib: Eric Kaler earns 'commendable' grade as University of Minnesota president

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

After another rough year, University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler was praised for a “commendable” job in his annual performance review by the Board of Regents.

But his report card, which was released Friday, lacked some of the glowing reviews of years past.

“At the conclusion of President Eric Kaler’s sixth year of leadership at the University of Minnesota, he continues to demonstrate his talent and skill as a leader,” said the report by a three-member board panel.

The review did not directly mention Kaler’s biggest headache last year — the public uproar over the U’s handling of a sexual assault scandal involving members of the Gophers football team. But, it said, “There have also been challenges, which have distracted attention from fulfillment of the University’s mission.”

Since 2011, when Kaler became president, most of his annual reviews have praised him as “stellar,” “outstanding” and “exceptional.

http://www.startribune.com/eric-kal...-university-of-minnesota-president/443298423/

Go Gophers!!

So basically his handling of this whole thing knocked his review down a lot, but not enough to fire him.

Are you kidding me? With the way he and the "Coyled" snake handled the Claeys dismissal, they both should be fired.
Go PJ Fleck!

Are you kidding me? With the way he and the "Coyled" snake handled the Claeys dismissal, they both should be fired.
Go PJ Fleck!

Well the Regents didn't seem to think that. Which effectively means the chance of him getting fired for this is past now. Though, if he screws up again in the next year, he'll probably get the boot.

Go PJ Fleck!

No Kaler = No Coyle = No Fleck. So sick of hearing about the alleged sexual assault incident. 5 players expelled from the university, if I remember correct? I think the right people are gone and the right people stayed. Best President and AD the U of M has had in a long, long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Kaler = No Athletes Village = No Coyle = No Fleck. Kaler is the best U president since O. Merideth Wilson in the 1960's. He has done more to improve the academic standing and reputation of the U than the previous six presidents put together. I doubt there are more than one or two regents who didn't support Kaler's handling of the Gopher Gang Bang Scandal. He was never close to being fired and he will remain the U's president for as long as he wants the job. In addition to the regents, Kaler also has the strong support of faculty and staff at the U.

This is the reason why the U's regents, faculty, and staff lover Eric Kaler. The haters in GopherHole would love him too if they weren't such ignoramuses who don't have a clue about what is good for them and their families and every other resident of Minnesota.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UMN announces $2.5 billion raised in campaign

The University of Minnesota has raised $2.5 billion in the last six years, officials said Friday as they publicly announced a 10-year campaign target of $4 billion.

Planning for the campaign, called “Driven,” began soon after Eric Kaler became president in 2011. They went public Friday with balloons, cheerleaders and the marching band to generate excitement and make U giving more visible, Kaler said.

“I can’t think of a better investment in the state of Minnesota than the University of Minnesota,” he said. “We create the next generation of learners and leaders. We create cures to disease. We create new inventions and new businesses. We are an unbelievably strong magnifier of private philanthropy for the public good.”

The $2.5 billion represents all private gifts and pledges to the U system since July 2011, including corporate and foundation research grants that were not for the donor’s benefit.

Coming off its three best fundraising years ever, the University of Minnesota hopes to raise another $1.5 billion by 2021 to meet its 10-year target of $4 billion.

Of the expected $4 billion by 2021, the university says it will steer $2 billion to faculty and research. Students will get $1 billion for scholarships, fellowships and experiences. The final $1 billion covers various initiatives and outreach, including Athletes Village, the Bell Museum and the Raptor Center.

Read more at: http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/08/umn-announces-2-5-billion-raised-in-campaign/

No Kaler = No Athletes Village = No Coyle = No Fleck. Kaler is the best U president since O. Merideth Wilson in the 1960's. He has done more to improve the academic standing and reputation of the U than the previous six presidents put together. I doubt there are more than one or two regents who didn't support Kaler's handling of the Gopher Gang Bang Scandal. He was never close to being fired and he will remain the U's president for as long as he wants the job. In addition to the regents Kaler also has the strong support of faculty and staff at the U.

Agreed.

He is the most engaged president the U have had. Don't forget that under his watch GOpher Athletics is moving forward greater than we've ever seen before.

Credit goes to multiple people, but his unwavering support for athletics is instrumental.

I don't recall a time where there is more sense of mission and direction in improving and promoting Gopher Sports.

Nobody in their right mind liked the way the handling of Claeys' termination went including me. But, we've got two very promising coaches in Pitino and PJ Fleck. Let's hope we can keep them both here long term.

The handling of Claeys' firing is the only black mark that I see in Eric Kaler's tenure so far.

So basically his handling of this whole thing knocked his review down a lot, but not enough to fire him.

Seems about right.
I wasn't given a vote.

You two may want to adjust your expectations of what you expect from the U admin. There are things more important than who is hired as the FB coach.

So Cruze points out one of the main reasons Kaler is valued is because of the fund raising, and you sanctimoniously tell him there are more important things than FB. Bit of irony I'd say considering the number of posts you churn out about our beloved Gophers. Well, at least you didn't include the daily, "I support PJ but I'm not a Fleckster," declaration but then the day is still young.

So Cruze points out one of the main reasons Kaler is valued is because of the fund raising, and you sanctimoniously tell him there are more important things than FB. <b>Bit of irony I'd say considering the number of posts you churn out about our beloved Gophers. </b>Well, at least you didn't include the daily, "I support PJ but I'm not a Fleckster," declaration but then the day is still young.

You find it surprising that I make a lot of posts about Gopher Football on the Gopher Football message board?

I was told here that he would've been fired months ago by now. But it's September and he still has a job. Weird.

per STrib:

After another rough year, University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler was praised for a “commendable” job in his annual performance review by the Board of Regents.

But his report card, which was released Friday, lacked some of the glowing reviews of years past.

“At the conclusion of President Eric Kaler’s sixth year of leadership at the University of Minnesota, he continues to demonstrate his talent and skill as a leader,” said the report by a three-member board panel.

The review did not directly mention Kaler’s biggest headache last year — the public uproar over the U’s handling of a sexual assault scandal involving members of the Gophers football team. But, it said, “There have also been challenges, which have distracted attention from fulfillment of the University’s mission.”

Since 2011, when Kaler became president, most of his annual reviews have praised him as “stellar,” “outstanding” and “exceptional.

http://www.startribune.com/eric-kal...-university-of-minnesota-president/443298423/

Go Gophers!!

Chuckle. These reviews/fitness reports are always couched in subtle language the layman probably doesn't understand. For example, a grade of "Competent and efficient" or "Satisfactory" is the kiss of death for promotion in the military.

A subtle rebuke, no doubt.

I was told here that he would've been fired months ago by now. But it's September and he still has a job. Weird.

You know about this kind of stuff. When was the last time a President of the University was fired anyway?

Go PJ Fleck!

There's more to his job than policing the Athletic Department. Lots more to life than football.

You know about this kind of stuff. When was the last time a President of the University was fired anyway?

Of our University? I don't believe that it has ever happened. But it will happen, any day now. I'm sure of it.:rolleyes:

Because in the real world, they did a pretty good job. On GopherHole, posters run the school and the AD. In their heads, it's like fantasy football. Totally real.

Because in the real world, they did a pretty good job. On GopherHole, posters run the school and the AD. In their heads, it's like fantasy football. Totally real.

When an administrator does administrator things in compliance with the mission of the school as set out by himself, has not gotten himself involved in criminal matters/scandals, it probably is not a fireable offense to show a total lack of moral courage and clear bias during and after the Title IX incident. There are surely some who applaud him and some that were disgusted leading to the lukewarm review.

Yeah - I know when I get my Performance Review each year I am always hoping for that coveted "Satisfactory" grade.

Kaler and Coyle should be dismissed. The way they handled the 10 students is a disgrace.

This is the reason why the U's regents, faculty, and staff lover Eric Kaler. The haters in GopherHole would love him too if they weren't such ignoramuses who don't have a clue about what is good for them and their families and every other resident of Minnesota.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UMN announces $2.5 billion raised in campaign

The University of Minnesota has raised $2.5 billion in the last six years, officials said Friday as they publicly announced a 10-year campaign target of $4 billion.

Planning for the campaign, called “Driven,” began soon after Eric Kaler became president in 2011. They went public Friday with balloons, cheerleaders and the marching band to generate excitement and make U giving more visible, Kaler said.

“I can’t think of a better investment in the state of Minnesota than the University of Minnesota,” he said. “We create the next generation of learners and leaders. We create cures to disease. We create new inventions and new businesses. We are an unbelievably strong magnifier of private philanthropy for the public good.”

The $2.5 billion represents all private gifts and pledges to the U system since July 2011, including corporate and foundation research grants that were not for the donor’s benefit.

Coming off its three best fundraising years ever, the University of Minnesota hopes to raise another $1.5 billion by 2021 to meet its 10-year target of $4 billion.

Of the expected $4 billion by 2021, the university says it will steer $2 billion to faculty and research. Students will get $1 billion for scholarships, fellowships and experiences. The final $1 billion covers various initiatives and outreach, including Athletes Village, the Bell Museum and the Raptor Center.

Read more at: http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/08/umn-announces-2-5-billion-raised-in-campaign/

I agree that the trajectory of U of M athletics and the University as a whole seem to have more momentum than I can recall in the recent past. At least since I graduated from the school in '94. However, this is coming from someone that has lived out of the state since 2005. I certainly don't have my finger on the pulse of the take on things in the Twin Cities. That said, your inability to be critical or even question anything done by Coyle or Kaler undermines your credibility on the topic.

He likes football. Enough said. In my lifetime he is the only President that understands what a an " elite " football programs brings to the University. He hired Coyle to get us to that level.

The morals of the students didn't matter at the time to lots of people, only legality. Now Kahler's morals matter? Seems odd.

What morals of the students are you speaking of? Is group sex considered immoral?

Top Bottom