An 'elite'-less P.J. Fleck is worth listening to - Strib

Iceland12

Reaction score
The Tuesday news conference provided a reminder of just how difficult it will be for Fleck to be viewed favorably by the end of his Gopher coaching tenure. He’s trying to thread a needle with anchor line.

Here are the things longtime Gopher fans don’t want to see:

1. Fleck fail. (He probably won’t. He’s a quality coach, whether or not you like his shtick.)

2. Fleck succeed only as much as Glen Mason, Jerry Kill and Tracy Claeys, which would mean running a solid program and advancing to mediocre bowl games. What would have been the point of firing Claeys — or Mason, for that matter — if that is all Fleck can accomplish?

3. Fleck winning big for a season or two, maybe three or four years from now, and then leaving for a traditional power.

Gopher fans will be angry if Fleck is not transformative, or if he’s so transformative that he winds up at Ohio State or Nebraska.

So on Tuesday, I asked him how he can manage expectations while overflowing with enthusiasm.

He talked so long on the subject he wound up apologizing.

Here is a highly-edited version of his response:

“Nobody is going to put more expectations and more pressure on this football team than myself,” he said. “But I also know more than everybody else exactly where this program is. ... This is a new culture. ... We can talk about six head coaches in 11 years ... When it comes down to it, this is kind of like a year zero with a new culture. ... This isn’t an extension of what we did last year.

“We’re going to do what it takes to build a solid foundation for this culture, to build it into a championship culture in the future, which hasn’t happened in 50 years. ... I’m hired to make sure that I get to a certain spot sometime. I don’t know when that is. I only know a certain way of doing it. ... I don’t know when that will happen, in terms of that championship team or culture.”

What’s interesting is that, once you get past the slogans and bluster, Fleck is putting himself on the line. He’s talking about national title contention at Minnesota. He’s not pretending he has a contender this year. He’s predicting future greatness.

In doing so, he will annoy many. He’ll offend those who believed in Claeys and were impressed with last season’s results. He’ll cause many rolled eyes from those who can’t imagine Gopher football greatness. He’ll wear out people who can’t stand sloganeering.

http://www.startribune.com/an-elite...to-jim-souhan-on-the-gophers-coach/443070063/

Another sh^t article by another shi^t tribune opinion writer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F*** the STrib. Another garbage article

You were ticked-off about this? Seriously?

"Nobody is going to put more expectations and more pressure on this football team than myself,” he (Fleck) said. “But I also know more than everybody else exactly where this program is. ... This is a new culture. ... We can talk about six head coaches in 11 years ... When it comes down to it, this is kind of like a year zero with a new culture. ... This isn’t an extension of what we did last year.

“We’re going to do what it takes to build a solid foundation for this culture, to build it into a championship culture in the future, which hasn’t happened in 50 years. ... I’m hired to make sure that I get to a certain spot sometime. I don’t know when that is. I only know a certain way of doing it. ... I don’t know when that will happen, in terms of that championship team or culture.”

What’s interesting is that, once you get past the slogans and bluster, Fleck is putting himself on the line. He’s talking about national title contention at Minnesota. He’s not pretending he has a contender this year. He’s predicting future greatness.

Even tho he is fit, really fit, I hate Souhan. However, this one seems pretty accurate to me. Describes GH pretty well.

It actually was pretty complimentary. I didn't see it as negative but rather that he is a good coach who rubs some the wrong way (even Fleck himself said "I'm not for everybody") and has the ability to lead this squad to future greatness.

Even tho he is fit, really fit, I hate Souhan. However, this one seems pretty accurate to me. Describes GH pretty well.

For the life of me, I really don't know what people expect from PJ. I can't think of one thing he has said or done that hurt Gopher football or damaged the University. Getting kids to recognize that they are here to get an education, going to class and accepting responsibility for their actions is his emphasis. Why is it that people don't like or appreciate what he is trying to accomplish? Going without a championingship for decades, I am willing to try just about anything(legal)
Previous schemes didn't win championships and hiring another Kill or Claeys would be more of the same. Maybe the people complaining really aren't Gopher fans. I do know, with any kind of change, whether it is a new job, new home, new wife, etc... with change there is pain. There will be pain with this new culture. Until he says or does something damaging to Gopher football or the University, he will have my support. And should have yours,

For the life of me, I really don't know what people expect from PJ. I can't think of one thing he has said or done that hurt Gopher football or damaged the University. Getting kids to recognize that they are here to get an education, going to class and accepting responsibility for their actions is his emphasis. Why is it that people don't like or appreciate what he is trying to accomplish? Going without a championingship for decades, I am willing to try just about anything(legal)

Previous schemes didn't win championships and hiring another Kill or Claeys would be more of the same. Maybe the people complaining really aren't Gopher fans. I do know, with any kind of change, whether it is a new job, new home, new wife, etc... with change there is pain. There will be pain with this new culture. Until he says or does something damaging to Gopher football or the University, he will have my support. And should have yours,

I agree with you 100%, but...
People are butt hurt by Brewster. They bought in 100% when he talked Rose Bowls. They loved when he got grass from Pasadena in his office. Helicopters to the #1 recruit in the country who also was a Cretin kid...it was so different.

Now you have Fleck, and for all us hardcore fans we know he's NOT Brewster but he sure does kind of sound like him, and to the casual fan (and the majority of the media for that matter) he IS Brewster because of that. They don't want their hearts broken again.

We all know that this isn't true, but that's the reality.

<b>For the life of me, I really don't know what people expect from PJ. </b>I can't think of one thing he has said or done that hurt Gopher football or damaged the University. Getting kids to recognize that they are here to get an education, going to class and accepting responsibility for their actions is his emphasis. Why is it that people don't like or appreciate what he is trying to accomplish? Going without a championingship for decades, I am willing to try just about anything(legal)

You may be missing the point. No one that I have seen on here has said PJ has damaged the U. No one has an issue with him putting education as a priority (as the previous staff did just as much so, btw), or that he wants to win a championship.

Stop with the "not real fan" garbage.

The article was about how the slogans and rah rah nonsense will annoy many. I'm one of those. For the life of me, I don't know why that would mean I don't support the team or want them to win. PJ says he gets it, even Souhan gets it, yet some on here just can't grasp it.

Souhan thinks it will be impossible for Fleck to be viewed favorably here, and Spoofin agrees. I'm guessing the vast majority of Gopher fans disagree. Heck, I'm even guessing the majority that post here disagree. Souhan's obviously a big fan of Gopher football. Really wants to see it do well. Genuinely likes it.

I agree with you 100%, but...
People are butt hurt by Brewster. They bought in 100% when he talked Rose Bowls. They loved when he got grass from Pasadena in his office. Helicopters to the #1 recruit in the country who also was a Cretin kid...it was so different.

Now you have Fleck, and for all us hardcore fans we know he's NOT Brewster but he sure does kind of sound like him, and to the casual fan (and the majority of the media for that matter) he IS Brewster because of that. They don't want their hearts broken again.

We all know that this isn't true, but that's the reality.

P.J. Fleck doesn't sound at all like Brewster. P.J. Fleck has substance and KNOWS what he is doing and that comes across if you REALLY listen to him. The more I listen to him the more I'm convinced he will succeed at Minnesota.

P.J. Fleck doesn't sound at all like Brewster. P.J. Fleck has substance and KNOWS what he is doing and that comes across if you REALLY listen to him. The more I listen to him the more I'm convinced he will succeed at Minnesota.

This. There is no comparison between the two. Fleck comes off as an educated, energetic young person...almost like a young, inspiring professor. Brewster was a meathead.

The bottom line, IMHO, is that it really doesn't matter if you, I, Souhan, or the man in the moon, is annoyed by PJ's "sell job". What matters is whether or not his players, coaches, and targeted recruits buy into him. I don't believe he is Brewster 2.0 as he does have head coaching experience and a successful, albeit relatively short track record. I have been a big supporter of Kill/Claeys, and now that the U has decided that PJ is the head coach, I am a big supporter of him and his program.
GO Gophers!

I am annoyed by the beginning of the article. That list is ridiculous. How can fans be both worried that Fleck will suck and worried he will leave?

Gopher fans, deep down, want to see the team succeed. Our program has fans getting used to winning 6-8 games to earn a bowl berth and calling it success. Souhan mentions fans that thought last year was a success (choking in our rivalry games and at PSU) and the idea of trying a new approach is insulting. Souhan and Strib weren't won over by Kill and Claeys, they won't be won over by Fleck until we actually win the West. So why are they critical of him discussing the strategy of winning?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

<b>Souhan thinks it will be impossible for Fleck to be viewed favorably here, and Spoofin agrees. </b>I'm guessing the vast majority of Gopher fans disagree. Heck, I'm even guessing the majority that post here disagree. Souhan's obviously a big fan of Gopher football. Really wants to see it do well. Genuinely likes it.

Your trying to be a tool now. Spoofin doesn't like PJ's style. Period. Impossible to be viewed favorably here? Never said that. In fact, I'm delighted he is our coach and honestly believe he will be successful here.

Do I think the majority of people eat up every thing PJ says? Yes. Do I think it is just a few outliers that are annoyed by PJ's style? Hell no - and that has already been proven on this board. Why my opinion of PJ being a windbag is implied (repeatedly) to mean I like the FB team any less, don't want them to succeed, and denies me of being a "real fan" is something you and the other Flecksters can't explain - yet you keep saying it......

Ditto.

Minnesota is geographically challenged as far as recruiting goes. If there is anyone that can change that it will be PJ Fleck.

We've been screaming for someone like him, and now we have him! Just sit back and relax. Let's enjoy this journey and hopefully we will see the Gophers rise to heights we have not seen in fifty years.

I am excited for the possibilities.

This. There is no comparison between the two. Fleck comes off as an educated, energetic young person...almost like a young, inspiring professor. Brewster was a meathead.

I like PJ because I think he can coach and organize a football program.

The stuff PJ says is just hot air. It's schtick. I don't see a huge difference between HYPRR and "how hot is your daggum chili?" or various Wackerisms. Schtick is part of college football. Ole Country Jer's awww shucks attitude was schtick. Tracy Claeys could have used a little schtick. So this isn't a condemnation on PJ.

"Here are the things longtime Gopher fans don’t want to see:

1. Fleck fail. (He probably won’t. He’s a quality coach, whether or not you like his shtick.)

2. Fleck succeed only as much as Glen Mason, Jerry Kill and Tracy Claeys, which would mean running a solid program and advancing to mediocre bowl games. What would have been the point of firing Claeys — or Mason, for that matter — if that is all Fleck can accomplish?

3. Fleck winning big for a season or two, maybe three or four years from now, and then leaving for a traditional power."

If Fleck does well enough here to leave us for a Michigan or Ohio State then I will be thanking him, not deriding him, on his way out.

I mean - criticizing players, coaches, owners, ADs, refs, etc. is done at every level of every sport out there. Play, Decisions, Actions, Things said, demeanor on the sidelines, what you do during the anthem, etc., etc. is always observed and often criticized by fans. It is part of sports. Why would people expect any different for PJF? ML7 was trashed last year repeatedly on here. Were all of those folks not "real fans". Time to get over it if not everyone loves your idol and every little thing he does/says.

Now you and I and the rest of the hardcore fans know that, but the average media hack, casual fan, and local who doesn't follow the team THEY all think he sounds like Brewster. Not in a literal sense but the rhetoric sound similar. Talks of Rose Bowls vs Chapionships, Gopher Nation vs. culture, recruiting vs. well, recruiting. Yes to the casual they certainly do sound alike. At my work where everyone knows my fandom many many people have said, "he sure sounds like that Brewster character, another used car salesman". While I completely disagree and try to educate them as to why he's not Brewster the casual person doesn't get it.

The only similarity between Fleck and Brewster is that they are talkers/salesmen. The huge difference between Fleck and Brewster is that Fleck truly believes in what he is selling, because it is his. He created the "Row the Boat/HYPRR" culture because that is what HE KNOWS needs to be developed in a program to be successful. He didn't just come up with this stuff over night. He has been building these ideas over years of learning from some great head football coaches, then creating his own culture that will create success.

I watched the press conference the other day. He's not just blowing smoke. He speaks with so much passion. I felt like he was trying to connect to the media; trying to explain his idea of what the culture needs to be in the program to win. It reminded me of when I talk to my Freshmen students, trying to convince them that decisions they make as 14 year olds will impact them for the rest of their lives. Pleading with them to understand ideas that I have spent a whole lot of time thinking about; ideas that I have passion and a whole lot of belief in. His passion is amazing to me. I wouldn't bet against him.

How shallow do you have to be to let your annoyance at a branding tool meant for another generation (and with at least some meaning: good/great vs. elite) cause you to miss the message (or pretend that it did previously)? Fine, I get his feigned inability to get beyond the use of what he perceives as cliches is a rhetorical/writing tool that plays to the Strib's older reader base, but the brand is the brand and it has and is working, in my opinion.

The only similarity between Fleck and Brewster is that they are talkers/salesmen. The huge difference between Fleck and Brewster is that Fleck truly believes in what he is selling, because it is his. He created the "Row the Boat/HYPRR" culture because that is what HE KNOWS needs to be developed in a program to be successful. He didn't just come up with this stuff over night. He has been building these ideas over years of learning from some great head football coaches, then creating his own culture that will create success.

I watched the press conference the other day. He's not just blowing smoke. He speaks with so much passion. I felt like he was trying to connect to the media; trying to explain his idea of what the culture needs to be in the program to win. It reminded me of when I talk to my Freshmen students, trying to convince them that decisions they make as 14 year olds will impact them for the rest of their lives. Pleading with them to understand ideas that I have spent a whole lot of time thinking about; ideas that I have passion and a whole lot of belief in. His passion is amazing to me. I wouldn't bet against him.

Did you remember to get his number after?

Ben Utecht was on PA's KFAN show yesterday and was asked what he thought of Fleck. He without hesitation said that he has never seen someone so committed to the culture of the program and developing young men. He likened it to Coach Dungy when he was with the Colts.

Ben Utecht was on PA's KFAN show yesterday and was asked what he thought of Fleck. He without hesitation said that he has never seen someone so committed to the culture of the program and developing young men. He likened it to Coach Dungy when he was with the Colts.

Does Ben have a cousin on the team or something?

Top Bottom