ESPN: Urban Meyer on excuses by first-year coaches: 'They're your players'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Ohio State coach Urban Meyer is tired of hearing first-year coaches complain about the players they inherit, saying it drives him "insane."

"It's like a new generation of excuse," Meyer told CBSsports.com. "[Texas coach Tom Herman] said, 'I can't rub pixie dust on this thing.' He got a dose of reality. Maryland just scored 51 points on you."

Meyer was referring to comments made by Texas coach Tom Herman -- a former assistant of Meyer's with the Buckeyes -- after the Longhorns' 51-41 home loss to Maryland on Saturday.

Said Herman after the loss in his Longhorns debut: "If we all thought that we were going to come in here and, in nine months, sprinkle some fairy dust on this team and think that we've arrived, then we're wrong."

"Everybody wanted me to say Jim Tressel left the cupboard bare," Meyer told CBSsports.com. "If I heard any assistant coach [say that], they'd be gone. You're done. Those are your players. I hear TV guys [say], 'Wait until they get their own players in there.' They're our players. What do you mean 'their players?' The minute you sign a contract, they're your players. You didn't choose me, I chose you. You're mine, absolutely."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...s-first-year-coach-insane-complaining-players

Go Gophers!!

More importantly, what does Harbaugh think about it?

Who's going to complain about inheriting a team full of 5 stars?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I guess, but Urban is also one of the few guys who is gonna get to pick a team of stars ... in fairly good shape.

Maybe he just doesn't like people SAYING it ... but still understands.

For those that can't coach deflect the blame. For those that can coach, work with what you got.

I can see both sides of the argument.

a new coaching staff may inherit players who were recruited to play in a different style and different schemes. some of them may be able to adapt, but you can't put a round peg in a square hole.

On the other hand, just because a new coaching staff takes over, that does not mean they get a pass on the season. the fans are paying good money for tickets, and they want to see a competitive team. the real question is whether the new coaching staff is flexible enough to adjust its system to fit the returning players. Just because you may not have players that are an ideal fit for your system, that is not an excuse for bagging the season.

I wonder what he thinks about MN, where the fans and media came up with that garbage on their own coming off a 9-win Holiday Bowl victory over a top 25 team.....before the first game was coached.

Its, at least, a somewhat legit excuse at schools where they've been terrible.

That's said, Urban has taken jobs at Florida and Ohio State (not to mention bailing on the former when things were about to get tough). Those programs may as well be the New England Patriots in relation to Texas in recent history. My grandmother could stroll into those jobs and be successful.

Urban can make this claim because he backed it up by winning right away everywhere he's been.

But Will Muschamp also has a point to when Urban called the Florida program 'broken' after he 'retired'. Florida was out of control when Urban left and that was directly his fault. Every situation is different.

per ESPN:

Ohio State coach Urban Meyer is tired of hearing first-year coaches complain about the players they inherit, saying it drives him "insane."

"It's like a new generation of excuse," Meyer told CBSsports.com. "[Texas coach Tom Herman] said, 'I can't rub pixie dust on this thing.' He got a dose of reality. Maryland just scored 51 points on you."

Meyer was referring to comments made by Texas coach Tom Herman -- a former assistant of Meyer's with the Buckeyes -- after the Longhorns' 51-41 home loss to Maryland on Saturday.

Said Herman after the loss in his Longhorns debut: "If we all thought that we were going to come in here and, in nine months, sprinkle some fairy dust on this team and think that we've arrived, then we're wrong."

"Everybody wanted me to say Jim Tressel left the cupboard bare," Meyer told CBSsports.com. "If I heard any assistant coach [say that], they'd be gone. You're done. Those are your players. I hear TV guys [say], 'Wait until they get their own players in there.' They're our players. What do you mean 'their players?' The minute you sign a contract, they're your players. You didn't choose me, I chose you. You're mine, absolutely."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...s-first-year-coach-insane-complaining-players

Go Gophers!!

LOVE IT!!! Speak the truth coach Meyer! You accomplish nothing by calling your players garbage.

I wonder what he thinks about MN, where the fans and media came up with that garbage on their own coming off a 9-win Holiday Bowl victory over a top 25 team.....before the first game was coached.

Its, at least, a somewhat legit excuse at schools where they've been terrible.

That's said, Urban has taken jobs at Florida and Ohio State (not to mention bailing on the former when things were about to get tough). Those programs may as well be the New England Patriots in relation to Texas in recent history. My grandmother could stroll into those jobs and be successful.

So your grandmother is a better college football coach than Ron Zook, Will Muschamp and John Cooper?

I also note that you left off his tenures at Bowling Green and Utah, bastions of college football royalty where he walked in and was immediately successful. That's quite convenient for your narrative.

"Meyer has won at least eight games in the first season of all four of his head-coaching stops: Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and Ohio State. He took over at Ohio State following a 6-7 season -- the Buckeyes' most losses since 1897 -- but went 12-0 in 2012 even though the team was banned from postseason play...

Muschamp avoided direct criticism of Meyer after taking over at Florida, which had myriad off-field problems. Meyer labeled the program "broken" after the regular-season finale in 2010, a comment that Muschamp later referenced.

Meyer on Wednesday told reporters in Columbus that he always advises his assistants who move on to new jobs to be complimentary about their new situations.

"Never talk as if those players aren't your players," he said."

Agree with him 100%

He isn't talking about record either. He is talking about maximizing talent. You don't need 4 years to maximize your talent. You might need four to build a champion

I guess, but Urban is also one of the few guys who is gonna get to pick a team of stars ... in fairly good shape.

Maybe he just doesn't like people SAYING it ... but still understands.

Didn't always. Not like Utah was a Juggernaut when he took over

So your grandmother is a better college football coach than Ron Zook, Will Muschamp and John Cooper?

I also note that you left off his tenures at Bowling Green and Utah, bastions of college football royalty where he walked in and was immediately successful. That's quite convenient for your narrative.
Copy that.
Bowling Green, 6 straight losing seasons before he got there. Beat Missouri and Northwestern in his first year there, en route to an 8-3 season. Inherited a 5-6 squad at Utah. Led them to 10 wins. Beat California and Oregon out of the Pac 12.

"I don't like Coach X" does not equal "Coach X is a bad coach." A coach can be very successful, and still come off like a butthole. (and that is NOT a Fleck reference)

Copy that.
Bowling Green, 6 straight losing seasons before he got there. Beat Missouri and Northwestern in his first year there, en route to an 8-3 season. Inherited a 5-6 squad at Utah. Led them to 10 wins. Beat California and Oregon out of the Pac 12.

Not to mention OSU was coming off their worst season in forever and he doubled their win total from 6-7 to 12-0 in his first year.

Who's going to complain about inheriting a team full of 5 stars?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good job of Urban not complaining about the players he inherited at... <gulp> Ohio State.

Top Bottom